PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2 Rhodium
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Spey is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sync Issue: TP2 WM6.5 - Activesync 4.5 - MSO-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
the cloud ... this seems to be the last option u have to try ...
Gee whiz kid, how many times have I read on other peoples threads, if eric12341 is not going to make a constructive post - don't post. Suggestion maybe you can start a NEW Thread related sync'g WinMo devices via the cloud. I've already asked you to plz stop this in my thread.

You say "last option ..." if you are so near-visioned as to believe my last option is to just accept this problem and leave it, well IMHO you look too quickly accepting short-sided solutions.

I trust that with such high post count that you have GREAT knowledge. I hope someday in the future to use your knowledge and experience, and possibly share back in some small way.

The purpose of my OP was to find solution for my sync problem ...

So, back to my OP (and subsequent posts related to the subject matter of this thread) I mentioned that I believed I have problems related to the association file(s) between AS-4.5 & WinXP. Is there a way for me to upload a copy of ASLogFile, and would this be helpful to someone related to solution(s) for my sync problem?
Old 05-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Spey is a n00b

Registry File Remnants

After the last uninstall/reinstall of MSO-2010 & AS-4.5 (post #18 inclusive registry cleaning), along with manual deletions of the previously referenced files, I noticed a number of Registry Entries related to MS-Office that exist as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office
Contents of the Office folder include the following folders:
11.0, 12.0, 14.0, 8.0, 9.0, Access, Common, Delivery, Excel, Infopath, MS Project, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwa reProtectionPlatform
Contents of this folder include the following folders:
data, Plugins, ReferralData

I know that MSO-2010 changes where a number of things are stored (vs MSO-2007), and combines a number of others. I am guessing there is a file association related problem that developed during the changeover from previously working (syncing) of Office 2007 (Office 12.0).

Hopefully someone can provide some additional guideance ...?

Last edited by Spey; 05-07-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Spey is a n00b

"Maybe if you installed ActiveSync directly after removing uninstalling everything and sync at least once"
Did this already - results nothing to sync with, however connection established and was able to view contents of device from computer via USB connection.

MSO-2010 is "Full Version" MSO-2010 ProPlus 32-bit
Install was fresh install (Custom selecting desired components), vs upgrade. Additionally, Microsoft 2010 Cleanup Utility was ran prior to install (removes previously installed remains of previous installs - like when switching between versions like Student to Pro or ProPlus).

Unless someone knows a bit more about the various association files and how/where they are supposed to be located, I may be looking at fresh install of OS and a reformat to solve this once and for all ...

Can anyone confirm that MS-Office-2010-ProPlus is compatible with WinXP-TabletEdition-SP3 and ActiveSync 4.5 ???

Last edited by Spey; 05-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Spey is a n00b
SOLVED - Re: Sync Issue: TP2 WM6.5 - Activesync 4.5 - MSO-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spey View Post
Can anyone confirm that MS-Office-2010-ProPlus is compatible with WinXP-TabletEdition-SP3 and ActiveSync 4.5 ???
Confirmation: MS-Office-2010-ProPlus is compatible with WinXP-TabletEdition-SP3 and ActiveSync 4.5

Fresh install of my XP-OS solved my issue:
Looks like sync-issue was most likely a file association issue within XP (#1 post). After numerous fresh reinstalls of MSO-2010 & ActiveSync 4.5 (thanks horndoctor for the tickler related to registry cleaning post-uninstall), and after much deep searching (registry, any/all misc related Office/Outlook), I just kept finding various remnant files related to previous installation of MSO (8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 14.0), if I did not know better I'd say I had the "Office 13.0 Bug" HaHaHaaa ... HaHaHaaa ...

What I think is real interesting; is the question of how did files related to MSO versions older than MSO-2003 (Office 11.0) get onto my computer, considering I did a yearly HDD reformat in Jan, 2010 and began startup of fresh OS with MSO-2003. It would be my guess that while running MSO-2003 there were missing components from earlier versions that I had needed to be installed creating the older MSO referenced files. Kinda like the issue with MSO-2010 missing MODI functionality, resulting in users having to install an feature from older version of MSO - in this case MODI from MSO-2007, which then creates Office 12.0 (MOS-2007) files on a system running Office 14.0 (MSO-2010) and also brings along various older MSO updates, etc. I need MODI on my Tablet PC for editing and annotating of various types of documents (.pdf to .tif, etc. etc.) for pen based work in documents that do not have user entry points. Read about solution how to run MODI in Office 14.0 here: Alternative methods to regain the functionalities of Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI)

I ran Office 2003 / 2007 side by side for some time (hated 2007) before committing into MSO-2010,, which is when ActiveSync 4.5 stopped recognizing that I had a fully functional version of Outlook installed.

I will close with a few issues that I knew about at the beginning of my troubleshooting (but, in the end were unrelated to my issue), that may help others with similar manifestations of non-sync (where ActiveSync does not recognize if you have Outlook installed (ASLog File trouble shooter reference Outlook Not Found of Not Installed, etc.) as follows. Installed version of Outlook can not be (for use with ActiveSync):
MSO-2010 version can not be Trial Version
MSO-2010 version can not be MS Office Live Version (online version)
MSO-2010 64-bit not compatible with ActiveSync
WinMo 6.5 required to run MSO-Mobile 2010
WinXP versions use ActiveSync
Vista/Win7 OS versions use WMDC (Windows Mobile Device Center)
32 and 64 bit versions of Outlook/Office will not coexist

Any one of the listed things above can/may create the “Outlook is not installed” error message. Hopefully, others can benefit from this knowledge. Look to solve your problems rather than trudging into the future with them …

Regards,
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work

wow, lots of trouble. it's too bad you cant install win7 on your system, seems more tablet friendly than xp.

I recall MSO2010 x64 gave me problems with plugins. Anyhow, good to see you fixed the issue.... well not really. it would have been nice to see the actual solution. I would dread it if I ever had to fix this on a client machine. Outlook problems have been a real pain to fix, and I do have notes on 2003 stuff, but nothing on 2010 stuff.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2