PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

gera229 is keeping up the good workgera229 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When a number sends you a text, how do you add them as a contact instantly?

When I get a text message from a sender that I know and want to add them as contact, I click and hold at the new number in the text messages screen (Not the app that winmo had installed in 6.1 since it was removed in winmo 6.5[which is a good thing since it was buggy, unstable, and slow] which is what I have and stock rom) and I only see an option that says "Add Sender to Contacts".

I cannot see any pop nor any contacts added in the contact list.
How do you do it?

And am I adding any contacts when I press "Add Sender to Contacts"? What does it do and how do I make it work?

Out of topic question:
Can winmo 6.5 get viruses? Or is it like very rarely?
How many people actually use like virus scanners/ removers/ blockers or so for their phones?
List me some software.

I mean you know Windows viruses will function on a desktop, but not on a Mac? Will they function on Windows Mobile (are they supported). If not then are there many viruses for windows mobile?

I want to avoid them as much as I can if possible so I would like to know.

Last edited by gera229; 02-05-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:09 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
When I get a text message from a sender that I know and want to add them as contact, I click and hold at the new number in the text messages screen (Not the app that winmo had installed in 6.1 since it was removed in winmo 6.5[which is a good thing since it was buggy, unstable, and slow] which is what I have and stock rom) and I only see an option that says "Add Sender to Contacts".

I cannot see any pop nor any contacts added in the contact list.
How do you do it?

And am I adding any contacts when I press "Add Sender to Contacts"? What does it do and how do I make it work?

Out of topic question:
Can winmo 6.5 get viruses? Or is it like very rarely?
How many people actually use like virus scanners/ removers/ blockers or so for their phones?
List me some software.

I mean you know Windows viruses will function on a desktop, but not on a Mac? Will they function on Windows Mobile (are they supported). If not then are there many viruses for windows mobile?

I want to avoid them as much as I can if possible so I would like to know.
For adding contacts from text message received in 6.5, you tap on the sender's number and it'll give you a screen option to call, send message or save to people. Tap on save to people and another screen will pop up. Just tap on new contact and voila!...you can add the contact.

As far as viruses...your device is a pocket PC so it can be infected with a virus/malware/spyware meant for ppc's. But you have a higher chance of bricking your device before getting infected. If you really want to have an anti-virus on your device...the anti-virus called Mobile Defender is good. It runs in the background.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: When a number sends you a text, how do you add them as a contact instantly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
1. Macs can and do get infected malware. The only reason that they are not discussed as frequently is because the amount of malware is small in relation to Windows. Mac represented 4-5% of all computers in the world in 2010 (on the rise). Windows, by means of various releases and SP's, is so much more common that attackers naturally target that OS with significantly higher frequency. It's the same force that makes GSM devices hit the market before their CDMA version, and the same reason that car manufacturers make so many damn trucks. Which brings me to the next point..

2. AndroidOS is so much more commonly used than Windows Mobile in mobile devices (and rising sharply!). There has been a tremendous increase in infections on devices running Android. A simply Google search for "virus android" will yield days worth of interesting reading. Don't be too concerned, however, since the rate of infections is so tiny that it isn't worth losing sleep over.

3. Neither Android devices nor WM6.x can get infected just by staying idle in your packet or receiving a text message. A piece of code needs to be executed on the device and this is typically achieved through the distribution of illegal software that has been patched to act as malware. In the case of Android, one of the ways was to include "the virus" with free apps downloaded through a an alternate market hosted in China (OpnMarket). I've also read about a developer releasing a proof of concept trojan in a fake expansion pack for Angry Birds downloadable via Google's App Market (it was quickly pulled, obviously). For Windows PC's, the preferred method these days is fooling users into visiting websites with unsecured machines/browsers.

4. Yes, WM can and has seen virus infections. They do all kinds of different things that you may or may not consider harmless, but some infections can compromise you personal data, cost you money by dialing overseas numbers, etc.. Here's a video showing how to remove one such infection called 3D Anti-Terrorist: YouTube - Testing out a new Fix for the International dialer Trojan on 3D Anti Terrorist. I presume this was released through a fake cool free game called... 3D Anti-Terrorist lol

5. If you run trusted games and applications on your device, you will be safe just as virtually all WM users on this forum have been safe since 2003. If you're a big fan of warez and you'll open any CAB file, install any custom ROM, then you may consider an Anti-Virus... but realistically, it's a a collossal waste of time IMO. I've downloaded and test countless apps/games from here and XDA, and not once did I have any issues with any sort of malware (virus isn't really a good word for this topic).

With respect to your text messaging thing, I can't tell if you posted a question or an actual tutorial. If it's a question, then I recommend skimming through the owner's manual or spending a few minutes in the OS. And for what it's worth, the WM native SMS application is preferred over HTC's by many, many members here, myself included.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Thanks quick...I forgot to let OP know that what I mentioned regarding adding sender to contact was for the native wm sms app. Thanked you for the write up and for the reminder

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
Old 02-05-2011, 04:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

The native SMS app is the original right?
I don't know the difference lol which one is which?

I just have a button called "text messaging" in outlook folder and that's what I use.

As for "Add Sender to Contacts" I cannot find any of these keywords in the manual. Even in the online manual I couldn't Ctrl+Find and would like to know what it does. May not use it, but curious. Since I clicked it like 5 times I would like to know if it stored any thing and where I can find it even though it seemed like it did nothing.

Last edited by gera229; 02-05-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Outlook is the native SMS application. If you're in threaded mode and wanted to save a number to your contacts, you would open that thread and simply tap the number near the top of the window where it says "Conversation with (123) 456-789". You should get an option to "Save to People" among others.

Or you can copy/paste it to your contacts manually.

And I would remove the last paragraph from your post if I were you..
Old 02-05-2011, 01:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I guess it's against the rules to talk about where to get full version programs and about other forums other than the partner: xda developers.

Anyway, I got that Save to People thing understood and working.

OVerall this thread is solved, but I am still curious what "Add Sender to Contacts" does. Can you see it on your own phone when you like tap and hold on the message and wait until a pull down menu appears? I mean I clicked on that several times and I don't know what happened even though it seemed like nothing it might have saved the number somewhere. I just want to be sure that it doesn't take up any space (so I can delete whatever I created by pressing it maybe a contact somewhere else), so I am asking if any of you know about that button. Maybe it's for those who have email set up on their phones(I think to do that they had to sync it to their phone) and possibly IM?
Cannot find it in the manual.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

It's against the rules to talk about warez on this forum. The "full version programs" that you're referring to is stolen software.

As far as saving new numbers... if you didn't see a window asking you to select to which contact to save the number (or create a new one), you did not save it.

I don't know which rom or configuration you're using so I can't give you an exact step-by-step. If you are on the stock rom, give Sprint a call and you'll get that from them with ease. Or you can just try opening the message and looking around for ways to save it; tap the number, tap and hold, menu softkey, etc.. I explained above how to do it if you have threaded messaging enabled and I can confirm it works since I myself have done it.

It's not related to email or IM accounts having been set up.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I already saved it and did it correctly. Running stock 6.5 rom.

I was just curious about what the other thing does (the other one that I said doesn't save to contacts or anything, but where does it save it?).

Cuz if it did save something somewhere else other than contacts I want to delete it but couldn't find it. If it is something to do with email, I don't have it set up. If it didn't save anything even though I tapped on it, then I'm good and no need to delete anything. Just wondering where I should check.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
get smarter cuz, wow ur so stupid