PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 02:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC CDMA Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

bugs9477 is keeping up the good workbugs9477 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2, Task29, lack of Sleep, Dead Battery, No Boot Loader and how to fix!

1, Find some way to get your battery charged. If you can't find another TP2 most Cell Repair shops and Camera repair shops have "universal Flat battery charger ... Google it" that will do the job.

2, Download the latest Official ROM from your carrier or in the upgrade forum the CDMA's are http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/cdma-tp2-u...3-19-10-a.html

3, This is the finicky part you might have to do this a few times to become efficient, Remove the mini usb cable from the phone but leave it plugged into the PC remove the battery but leave it in the battery cavity just up from the pins, plug the mini USB into the phone, in my hands I hold the phone in my left hand, ring and pinkie bracing the right side, thumb on the Volume Down button, middle finger bracing the center of the battery holding it in place index finger getting ready to push the battery into place, right hand index finger on the top right corner and thumb on the End Call button.
When ready push both Volume Down and End Call there isn't a sequence here they just have to be pressed before inserting the battery by sliding it in with your left index finger.

Now I had to do this a number of times before I got it right and then sometimes it would not work even if I was doing it exactly right so you have to keep at it. If Boot loader does not show up after 10 - "50 (exaggeration)" times and you know you're doing exactly as I'm saying this might not be your problem! but when it does... good go to next step.

4,You have to do the Previous step two more times, once to pass the verifying Information check, it needs to see Boot Loader to go to the next step, then the last time to flash the rom but you need to be fast with your right hand because you only have 3 seconds to get the RUU flashing.

My RUU went Double click RUU/next/check box, next/check box, next.....verifying, which I had 40sec to get the phone to Boot Loader before software error.
Second time it went check box, next/check box, next.....verifying another 40sec before erroring.

I bricked my phone 3 times and brought it back 3 times to make sure this info was accurate!

Please post back here if any questions, but most of all post back here if it works for you!

And if you want to hear about my story keep reading below!

TELUS Touch Pro2 CDMA
Energy.RHODCDMA.23699.Sense2.5.Cookie.2.0.DinikGla ss.Nov.25

I'll try and keep this a step by step how-to but I also want to note how I got into this predicament as I know I will not be the only one!

This was my flash dance. (it may not be how you do it or did it, this is only for reference)

Preflash Setup

Remove the battery and the SD Card then reinstall the battery, once booted Disable Data Connection then go to Start/Settings/System/Wipe Device.

Clear Phone

Once booted Disable Data Connection and connect to the computer Via USB, I had re-establish the connection with Windows Mobile Device Center but not set up your device then Run Task29, and this is where I screwed up apparently... the few seconds it takes was a just enough time for me to fall asleep!

I woke up 7 Hours latter to my Phone vibrating and restarting but only going as far as the first Splash Screen I didn't think anything of it at first I just took the battery out as I always do after Task29, reinsert it and hit Volume Down and End Call but it did not go into Boot Loader, I tried it a couple more times but no luck.
So I left it plugged in while I searched PPCGEEKS and XDA's forums for TP2 not going into Boot Loader mode and came up with a lot of if it will not go into Boot Loader it's bricked sorry!

I was not accepting this I like my phone and I am going to fix it. While searching, my brick kept turning its self on and shutting off at the first splash screen It would do this every 5 min or so, and I did read someone's post to get a new battery but I know that the battery is still good because I had over 24 hours on the last charge, which got me thinking is this why everyone says make sure your phone has a good charge before flashing.

So I took the battery down to the local Cell Store and they had a TP2 that just had a new screen put in and they knew it worked they put the battery in and it would not boot they checked the battery with a multi meter and sure enough it was dead so they put it back in to the Repaired TP2 and charged it for 6 hours when I picked it up they booted their TP2 up and it showed 75% charge so I took it home stuck it in my TP2 and nothing no boot or Loader so I tried something else I read but this was for a different problem, hold the Volume Down and End Call and put the battery in while plugged in usb-PC and Viola Boot Loader but it shutoff 3 seconds later and then would not go into Boot Loader again!

So I know the battery had charge and I saw Boot Loader so I pulled the battery again but this time for 20 seconds then held Volume Down and End Call and slid the battery in ha Boot Loader but shutoff 3 seconds later it only does it while plugged into the computer.... I'm onto something here!

After some serious thought I figured that I tried some trial and error stuff to much to list but one thing got better results I ran task29 and put the phone into Boot Loader mode by my method above and hit update on task29 and the phone went through the whole process without shutting off until Task29 was finished then it booted to the first Splash Screen then shutoff would not boot again!

So I thought that if I tried this with the ROM I wanted to flash (listed above) which it I guess takes too long to initiate and the phone shuts off before burning, so I tried the stock TELUS ROM and it worked stayed on through the flash and rebooted and started up YAY!!

Flashed my Favourite ROM Builders rom and works awesome..... but not liking the bugs in the new rom! but that is another Thread!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: sprint

virgowang is a n00b
Re: TP2, Task29, lack of Sleep, Dead Battery, No Boot Loader and how to fix!

wow, exactly following the steps, i got my bricked phone back. thank you so much. what a great experience.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Your welcome!
Thanks for posting back.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: sprint

virgowang is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs9477 View Post
Your welcome!
Thanks for posting back.
but do you know why this happen?
my phone bricked several times although sometimes i can get it back to work following your fix way. so annoying....
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgowang View Post
but do you know why this happen?
my phone bricked several times although sometimes i can get it back to work following your fix way. so annoying....
Well I know why it happened to me and that was falling asleep and leaving the phone on while there was no ROM on it! Not sure why it does this though.
Mine only did this when I made it by leaving it without a rom on it for a period of time!

Not sure why yours is doing this on its own, my only thought would be Rom memory errors kind of like a failing hard drive in a pc!
Only a wild guess though.

I know if this was a regular occurance I would be investing in a new phone!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

If you can flash a ROM to it, it wasn't bricked in the first place. The only way to brick a phone is to flash a radio made for a different device or unlock with the wrong unlocker (think GSM for CDMA phone). Bootloader on my phone (Sprint) is also accessed by holding volume down and holding the power button at the same time. Is it different for Telus phones?

Your 'flash dance' routine also seems a little excessive IMO. All you really need to do is get the task29 with the spalsh screen image, run it (take 2 seconds or so), press+hold vol. down and power button (assuming that put's your phone in bootloader) when it get's to 100%, the phone then reboots into bootloader, and you can flash the a ROM. I make my own ROMs and have flashed 100's that way and do not get any problems related to stuff left over from previous ROMs. You can skip all of the hard resets, unless you just like wasting time .
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
If you can flash a ROM to it, it wasn't bricked in the first place. The only way to brick a phone is to flash a radio made for a different device or unlock with the wrong unlocker (think GSM for CDMA phone).
Not quite true! Found here Definition of brick | The Online Slang Dictionary

A piece of electronic or computer equipment that has been rendered unusable. Especially used to describe what happens to devices like routers or PDAs during a firmware update when the firmware image is damaged or power is lost. This term usually implies irreversibility, but equipment can sometimes be "unbricked."
See more words meaning: broken
See more words meaning: computer slang

by The Jargon File, Aug 14 2009 (Edit definition)

a large cellphone.
See more words meaning: telephone, phone

by WalterGR, Sacramento, CA, USA, Sep 21 2009 (Edit definition)

Ya I'm sure there are different definitions of "Bricked", Mine is if it isn't working and all available workarounds and fixes do not work I consider that the Phone is "Bricked" and due to the unusual way I had to get the Bootloader to run, also the Phone would not accept new input e.g.; Cooked Rom because it shuts off before installing because the RUU takes more than 3 sec to initialize.

There are posts on this forum and XDA as well as others that have this same or slightly different scenario but all have the same outcome "No Bootloader" and No Boot, I Bet those people that had to invest in a new expensive PPC thought their PPC were Toast or Bricked!

In my searches I not once came across a possible fix "No Bootloader" other than its Bricked get a new one or send it to the manufacturer, and now we have one at least for this device and this scenario!

Quote:
Bootloader on my phone (Sprint) is also accessed by holding volume down and holding the power button at the same time. Is it different for Telus phones?
Ya with Telus TP2`s it Volume Down and End Call Buttons!

Pictures self with stylus in teeth poking the reset button, holding phone fingers all distorted pushing buttons and wife asking me what the hell are you doing? every 2 days! lol

Quote:
Your 'flash dance' routine also seems a little excessive IMO.
LOL you think... so do I, I've changed my Dance.

Everyone has their own steps, I used to flash Stock Carrier then Custom then Wipe Device now it`s just Task29 then Custom then Wipe Device.

As for the Removing the sd card I don't like Garmin install loading on first boot and the wipe device prior to Task29 .... ya I stopped that to!

Quote:
All you really need to do is get the task29 with the splash screen image, run it (take 2 seconds or so), press+hold vol. down and power button (assuming that put's your phone in bootloader) when it get's to 100%, the phone then reboots into bootloader, and you can flash the a ROM.
Excerpt from my Thread:

Run Task29, and this is where I screwed up apparently... the few seconds it takes was a just enough time for me to fall asleep!``

The source of my original Problem. Hey your phone reboots to BootLoader, mine and everyone I talked to it reboots to the first splash screen and have to manually put into bootloader?

Quote:
I make my own ROMs and have flashed 100's that way and do not get any problems related to stuff left over from previous ROMs. You can skip all of the hard resets, unless you just like wasting time .
Which kitchen do you recommend?

Last edited by bugs9477; 12-16-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs9477 View Post
Which kitchen do you recommend?
Good to know telus is different too . My definition of bricked is it can't be fixed unless you physically replace the nand or something.

I use barin's OSBuilder lately. There's a thread where you can get the English version and support at mobileunderground.info. It's a little more involved then some other kitchens, but you have a lot more control and features once you know how they work (which is a little complicated because it's translated from Russian). It also builds a ROM better then platform rebuilder based kitchens (Ervius / OSKitchen). For example, you don't need to recmod anything in Notification Enhancement (which will crash Ervius / OSKitchen if you don't). It also builds a ROM in 30 seconds, which is nice .

[v.1.2.81 - 12.06.2010] Barin's OSBuilder Kitchen -- thanks to asusmobile.ru

I dump ROMs to get EXT's with OSKitchen by airxtreme (his kitchen is at xda). I just like the way it localizes language and format's the names of the EXT's. I then use pkg_converter_eng.exe to convert all of the EXT's to OEMs for OSBuilder. If you want any help getting it setup, feel free to PM me or post in the mobileunderground thread.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: hjk
Carrier: airtel

akhilluthraakhil is a n00b

Dear Sir,

I ran task 29 on my htc touch pro2 and after that its light is on always and TOUCH pro2 is written on screen i need help its not going on boot loader mode too. pls help me what should i do... waiting for your reply thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilluthraakhil
Dear Sir,

I ran task 29 on my htc touch pro2 and after that its light is on always and TOUCH pro2 is written on screen i need help its not going on boot loader mode too. pls help me what should i do... waiting for your reply thanks
Pull your battery to power down then reinsert battery and immediately press and hold volume down and while you continue to hold press the power button until you see bootloader.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2