PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

karossii is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint TP2 starting over... looking for advice

Hi all!

I had a TP2 for a while, and the very day I got it, I installed a ton of stuff starting with the (then latest) Mighty ROM, and several extensions to add Sprint functionality (Nav, TV, etc.) back into Mighty ROM.

During all of those months, I used my phone for little more than an actual phone, along with tethering it to my laptop a half dozen times or so; and several times felt bad that I had this wonderful device I was not using to the smallest degree of its potential.

Then last week the touchscreen went out (weird story, maybe for another post), and I got a free replacement. I have it up and running, and have not yet installed a single thing on the phone. So far, the only difference I am noticing from the MightyROM and the Sprint TP2, is that opn connections I cannot select wifi mode. As my laptop is out of commission at the moment, I can't check if I can still use the TP2 to tether, but if I remember correctly that is the main reason I did previously install Mighty ROM...

So... I would like to use my phone more fully now, starting fresh as it were. I would like to get some good games to play, I'd like to regularly use it to watch movies and listen to music, and I would like to make sure I can still tether it to my laptop (when I get that replaced soon).

So what would you recommend I install into this phone?
  • Should I stick with the Sprint core OS, or upgrade to Mighty ROM or some other similar OS?
  • What's the best way to ensure I can tether with good connection speeds (either USB or Bluetooth)?
  • Are there any specific good movie/music apps out there for this phone or PPCs in general?
  • What about games? I play all types, but have been hoping to find either a very good space trader type or fantasy RPG type for the phone (I never really looked all that hard before)... also I'd not mind some mindless games like tetris and card games, etc.
  • Anything cool you like to do with your TP2 that I may not have thought of yet?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Sprint TP2 starting over... looking for advice

op please read, moved.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/cdma-tp2-u...de-forums.html
Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

karossii is a n00b

Thank you for fixing it! I forgot I was browsing a sub-forum, and accidentally posted there. Was about to post a request for someone to move it, but you beat me to it!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work

My recommendation is task29, pocketshield, mr xrom 21889 or other 21889 version, and spb mobile shell.

I'de put down all my specs if interestested. The reason I exclude 21916 builds is that I've tried two of them, and they were both buggy with mobile shell and repeat notifications. IMO, very important factors.

mobile shell might not be very popular because it costs money, but imo, having a good phone that does what you want is worth that one time cost. (same deal with pocketshield)

sense isnt really intuitive, and it's too slow and buggy for my taste.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

i have lead ROM on my tp2. its a 21916 and runs very stable and its also lean. i havent had any problems with the SOD which is a common occurrence in the 21889 roms sense is stable too and doesnt hang with sms like it did in the 21889 builds.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul-touch pro-touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

mig407 is a n00b

the stock sprint 6.5 rom is absolute garbage!!! unlock,(task29...optional**),mightyrom (its stable its fast its proven, 'nuff said) ,inmuts arcsoft mms (way better than the stock crap),htc addicts cleanram, htc wifi router (i like it better than tethering), sh4ys raphael net speed boost...then it works nicely.

tp2 on mightyrom, overclocked to 748mhz
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karossii
Hi all!

I had a TP2 for a while, and the very day I got it, I installed a ton of stuff starting with the (then latest) Mighty ROM, and several extensions to add Sprint functionality (Nav, TV, etc.) back into Mighty ROM.

During all of those months, I used my phone for little more than an actual phone, along with tethering it to my laptop a half dozen times or so; and several times felt bad that I had this wonderful device I was not using to the smallest degree of its potential.

Then last week the touchscreen went out (weird story, maybe for another post), and I got a free replacement. I have it up and running, and have not yet installed a single thing on the phone. So far, the only difference I am noticing from the MightyROM and the Sprint TP2, is that opn connections I cannot select wifi mode. As my laptop is out of commission at the moment, I can't check if I can still use the TP2 to tether, but if I remember correctly that is the main reason I did previously install Mighty ROM...

So... I would like to use my phone more fully now, starting fresh as it were. I would like to get some good games to play, I'd like to regularly use it to watch movies and listen to music, and I would like to make sure I can still tether it to my laptop (when I get that replaced soon).

So what would you recommend I install into this phone?
  • Should I stick with the Sprint core OS, or upgrade to Mighty ROM or some other similar OS?
  • What's the best way to ensure I can tether with good connection speeds (either USB or Bluetooth)?
  • Are there any specific good movie/music apps out there for this phone or PPCs in general?
  • What about games? I play all types, but have been hoping to find either a very good space trader type or fantasy RPG type for the phone (I never really looked all that hard before)... also I'd not mind some mindless games like tetris and card games, etc.
  • Anything cool you like to do with your TP2 that I may not have thought of yet?

Thanks!!!
I recommend you use the Sprint 6.1 rom and install the Touch Pro 2 CleanUp/Tweaks cab. It will give you everything you mentioned.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig407 View Post
the stock sprint 6.5 rom is absolute garbage!!! unlock,(task29...optional**),mightyrom (its stable its fast its proven, 'nuff said) ,inmuts arcsoft mms (way better than the stock crap),htc addicts cleanram, htc wifi router (i like it better than tethering), sh4ys raphael net speed boost...then it works nicely.
anything based off build 21889 is garbage
Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

karossii is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

I recommend you use the Sprint 6.1 rom and install the Touch Pro 2 CleanUp/Tweaks cab. It will give you everything you mentioned.
So far this sounds like the simplest and most elegant solution, assuming it does indeed work. Thanks much for posting it. Now, where do I find the 6.1 ROM>? All I can find are 6.5 ROMs...
Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
i have lead ROM on my tp2. its a 21916 and runs very stable and its also lean. i havent had any problems with the SOD which is a common occurrence in the 21889 roms sense is stable too and doesnt hang with sms like it did in the 21889 builds.
how long have you ran 21889 to say sms hang and general stability is an issue? After my most recent incident, I'm back on 4/10/10 mr x rom. I would have loved 21916, but it cant do basic things like reminder notifications and play friendly with mobile shell. Doesnt play very friendly with pocketshield either.

I flashed LEAD and NRG, and neither could do this. My best guess is build rather than isolated incident. I couldnt run 21916 long enough to get SOD's but long enough to see it was very buggy with MS and PS.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2