PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

penone is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS & Sim Card

So my GPS is no longer working. Have not used it in awhile and the only difference in my TP2 is that the sim card that came with the phone is no longer in the phone (lost it). I went overseas and put in a sim card from Spain (which worked great btw) and lost my original sim. This was a few months ago. Have tried all the standard solutions - made sure that the location setting was turned on, did the quickgps about a dozen times, soft reset, hard reset and nada. When I try to use sprint nav I get the weak signal error. Google Maps times out and bing does the same. Also downloaded the HTC GPS tool and that was not able to find a satellite.

So - question is - does the sim card need to be present for the GPS to work?

Thanks for any input!

-P.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

kpfx is a n00b
Re: GPS & Sim Card

I don't think the two are related as I just tried and got the same results regardless if my SIM was inserted.

Unfortunately I think the GPS antenna in the Touch Pro 2 is really fragile as my last one stopped working after I dropped it. It wasn't a big drop but after that it would have a really hard time locking onto the satellites. Most of the time it couldn't see any but occasionally it will lock on to one or two.... until I touched it.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

penone is a n00b

Thanks for the quick reply and taking the time to try on your end.

I do have the Total Protection Plan so will probably send it in for repairs / replacement. Hopefully they wont give me a hard time.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'll pull the sim card out of my phone and let you know if I can replicate your problem.
If I do... I'm sure you can get a replacement card from Sprint...
If not... I think a trip to the service center is in good form.

I'll let you know in a minute or two.
p.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

Looks like a replacement is comming to you...
Telenav found me inside a two story building with a 1x connection... So did bing and so did Wase. No sim and in CDMA mode only... Not world as it usually is. So now you have confirmation from two different users.

p.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:16 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

penone is a n00b

Appreciate that Aztechka!

BTW, what's Wase?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by penone View Post
Appreciate that Aztechka!

BTW, what's Wase?
Check it out in the Microsoft Marketplace... It's a free somewhat social GPS program.
It's driven by the users... So you get actual traffic notices and notices of police... You can get directions and you get points for going into places that are mapped but not yet GPS verified. It has a ranking system and it somehow integrates wiht twitter and Facebook... I haven't turned on that feature yet though. It's cool and worth a try.
p.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/15954; U; en))

Quote:
Originally Posted by penone
So my GPS is no longer working. Have not used it in awhile and the only difference in my TP2 is that the sim card that came with the phone is no longer in the phone (lost it). I went overseas and put in a sim card from Spain (which worked great btw) and lost my original sim. This was a few months ago. Have tried all the standard solutions - made sure that the location setting was turned on, did the quickgps about a dozen times, soft reset, hard reset and nada. When I try to use sprint nav I get the weak signal error. Google Maps times out and bing does the same. Also downloaded the HTC GPS tool and that was not able to find a satellite.

So - question is - does the sim card need to be present for the GPS to work?

Thanks for any input!

-P.
Have you tried flashing the shipped rom and then after it starts up run quikgps and then try it?
If you are running a custom rom that might be the issue because something might have gotten fubard and flashing the shipped rom with radio might help.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2