PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

steel187 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Mandatory Bing update. Frustration!

I was never a big fan of the Bing update on windows mobile. The old version lets you look for dozens of movies playing at multiple theaters, while the new one lets you look for a whopping 5, then proceeds to take you to some lame MSN website. The old bing app is user-friendly, the new one isn't.

So I chose to use the old Bing app up until now, since Microsoft will no longer let me use it, saying "We've made some improvements to Bing. To continue using the Bing app, you must update now."

This statement pretty much summarizes why Microsoft as a corporation is inevitably doomed to fail. They force their consumer to upgrade things they're comfortable using & replace it with garbage (ie XP to Vista; WM 6.5 to 7; super easy & user-friendly original Bing app to lame and inexplicably bad new Bing app).

Let me just say that their forced upgrades are great opportunities to jump ship on a sinking company. I currently have a WM 6.5 & XP laptop but my next purchases will be an Android & a Mac Book Pro.

WinMo7 has been in the works for 4+ years, the only reason I'd stay are apps from the old days like UpToDate, Garmin Mobile XT, Bing, etc. None of these will be backwards-compatible, I guarantee you UpToDate & Garmin Mobile XT will never see it to WM7 (along with Pandora, Skype & endless others), and 1-by-1 Microsoft is going out of their way to make apps like Bing on 6.5 unusable.

Is there a work around so I can still use the old app? The new ones pretty much useless to me. HTC should no longer do business with Microsoft.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Re: Mandatory Bing update. Frustration!

Join the crowd:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...?prof=required

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=128794

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=128980

Bottom line at this point: Microsoft messed up Bing, reducing functionality, and there seems to be no work-around.

Go ahead and post your complaint at the thread I started at Microsoft's "support" forum: it may not change anything, but they need to know how many people they're pi$$ing off.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint PCS

jamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamio88 Send a message via Yahoo to jamio88

Granted I never really use Bing, but, I really don't see why everyone is all mad about this.

I mean it still works 100% fine with what I need it for, and it still is very "touch friendly"

Updates and changes are inevitable, you just gotta go with the flow.
Kernel: #Mean-v0.5.1728
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

steel187 is a n00b

Boy this seems to be a common theme. I didnt realize there were so many threads with people voicing the same frustration till your post. (Ironically after creating this thread, the message board search feature either started working for me or I rediscovered how to use it?! lol)

Either way, I can't believe Microsoft would force an update on such a flawed program when the original worked so well for a vast amount of people. Alas, I was hoping somebody had a work around or mortscript
Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6600
Carrier: sprint

olefafl is just getting started

The old Bing you could click and call what came up when you searched. You could also save them to Contacts. The new Bing you can't do either of them.

Please tell me how that is an "update".
Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamio88 View Post
Granted I never really use Bing, but, I really don't see why everyone is all mad about this.

I mean it still works 100% fine with what I need it for, and it still is very "touch friendly"

Updates and changes are inevitable, you just gotta go with the flow.
Well, if it works for you then I guess that's all that really matters, right???

Perhaps you should actually read the threads, and see what the problem is before making statements like this.

On the Microsoft thread, there are users whose devices are no longer supported, and who thus can't even install the new Bing. So what they had has been taken away. But yeah, I guess they should just "go with the flow."

And for the rest of us, the search results for movies, restaurants, etc. are completely useless. We've gone from having a little app that could efficiently be used to check movies, movie times, etc., whereever we were, to one that is virtually useless for those functions.

I'm usually not this pointed in my replies, but I'll have to admit yours really got to me - perhaps you should re-read what you said, as well as the original complaints, and maybe you'll understand why some of us are pi$$ed at Microsoft....
Old 07-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

steel187 is a n00b

I love how in their official statement from the Microsoft support forum that you linked, they essentially throw their entire consumer base under the bus except for those 18 select phones. I can't even believe they took away the app altogether for older functioning phones? Why would you do that when it worked perfectly for these people just 2-weeks ago?

You know that as soon as WM7 comes out, those remaining 'select phones' (ie Touch Pro 2, HD2, Omnia 2, Imagio...) will all be the next to go out the window in terms of support.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamio88 View Post
I mean it still works 100% fine with what I need it for
So the hell with everybody else, right??

~John
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: sprint

rebelx is just getting started

i've noticed that my entire phone seems to be running slower after the mandatory update. texts take forever to open (even after clearing them all out) and i've even installed bing on the memory card instead of phone memory. what gives?!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

it would definitely be cool to be able to use the older version, this is no Update

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2