PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Mikenk is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slingbox question

I understand people really like this; can someone explain to a non-tekkie what it does?

I have a TP2 and Mac laptop. I spend lots of time tethered in airports and in European cities with little access to American TV. Is that what slingbox does? is it just for the phone or also the laptop? I hate to miss NFL games when in Europe or traveling; will it help here?

I know I can research this myself, but it would be great for someone to summarize for me.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03
Re: Slingbox question

its for a phone, laptop ...or basically anything that can connect to the internet.

what it does is u buy the slingbox and it connects to the fact of your cable box,and then connects to your router and whenever u log into slingbox on the computer, or phone u can change channels and view your cable channels anywhere u have internet access to
Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

as long as u have internet u watch what is on ur tv at home.

it basically broadcasts whats playing on ur cable box to u via internet, so one at home has to watch the same channel as u do on the road. u need internet at home too.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Mikenk is a n00b

I live in country - no cable available. Will it work with Satellite (Dish network)?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
VIP Member
Carrier: Verizon

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

Yes i have dish network and can confirm its working on my touch pro 2
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Mikenk is a n00b

Great, I'm in. What does it cost and how do i get it for mac laptop and TP2?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

slingbox.com for more info. it's expensive, but it's worth it imo. The phone software also carries a one time fee of $30.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

bastian74 is becoming a great contributor

It even natively supports directv with PVR so it has PVR functions built into the virtual remote. Quite handy. Quality is pretty good and dynamic. In the US the standard def version is $200 and the HD version is $300. the HD version requires 5mb upload speed to be HD though. Of course your phone will be no where near that anways.

You can do something very similar for free with a video capture card / IR Wand and orb.com.

Last edited by bastian74; 06-14-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

To dumb this down since it hasn't been explained in detail here it is... you buy the slingbox for a one time fee (ie no recurring monthly cost), and it sits on top of your cable or satellite box... you set up an internet connection between sling on your computer, and at the location of your tv/cable setup... after that has been established, you can use the slingbox to watch any channel remotely that you can get at home, as well as recorded shows (ie your DVR list). The desktop client is free with the hardware, the mobile client for your phone would be another $30. But after that, there are NO recurring monthly fees, which is nice. I bought mine years ago... you can probably find them anywhere between $150-$250 used/new... also to note, there are new satellite boxes from DISH coming out now (DISH bought Sling a year or so back) which actually incorporate the Sling functionality right into the cable/satellite box (ie no other hardware required)... hope that helps explain it a little more clearly...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

also keep in mind your cable or sat tv situation. if the cable box is on a tv that only you use, get a solo slingbox. if it is watched by other people, get the hd model...you can still watch what you want and it won't interfere with what someone else is watching.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2