PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help pls - need to chose a device before end of the week

Hi, all.

Need your help.

I am a longtime user of WM devices, but never had a smartphone yet. We just signed up for a data plan that kicks in on 6/6 and I need to pick a device. Our carrier is Sprint and the three devices that I am trying to chose from are Touch Pro 2 with WM6.1, and Android based HTC Hero or Samsung Moment.

Now the TP2 will cost me 2x as much as either of the other two devices, it's got the lowest rated battery life of the three, and since it has TouchFlo that was slow as molasses on my 628 MHz Axim, it's got to be even slower on 520 MHz TP2 so I would probably have to take it out. On the other hand it will let me use all my Windows productivity applications that I got used to, it has a stylus that I am really used to, and it supposed to be a decent phone.

So, can you help me with your insight... what are the good and the bad sides of TP2, if you were me would you spend extra $ for it or would you go with Android (and which one), is battery life decent or do you have to recharge it daily, how's its reliability, how's speed, is it a decent enough phone... the works.

Thanks !
Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik
Re: Help pls - need to chose a device before end of the week

Depends on how you use the phone... For biz, nothings is gonna beat WM. Sprint does have a WM6.5 upgrade available for the TP2, or you can always flash a custom ROM. Personally, I'm a hardcore WM fan, so there's no way I would be able to switch to Android... But if you're wondering how it compares, you can run android on your TP2 also...

Just my $0.02.

Let us know which way you go!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I like WM. Have had 4 devices and custom ROMs on all. I use it heavily for work and scheduling, and I really don't want to miss PhatPad, ListPro, PI, PocketBreeze and so on. What I am worried about though is getting a device that's slower than my Axim, does a half -assed job on phone side, has a short battery life and a slow interface, and pay $200 for this while I can have the Hero for $29 if I shop around. I am ready to be convinced, though !
Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Oh, screw it... I'm practically married to WM. If I got an Android device I'd probably kick myself.
Just ordered Tp2 online. Hopefully I'll sell my Ax to offset the loss.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
Oh, screw it... I'm practically married to WM. If I got an Android device I'd probably kick myself.
Just ordered Tp2 online. Hopefully I'll sell my Ax to offset the loss.
LOL!!! Wise choice IMHO!!! Hope you enjoy!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc touch pro 2
Carrier: verizon

bigrel22 is just getting started
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/18.684; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I would say go to android. U have 2 get a custom rom just 2 have fun with it. The most popular apps are only made for the iphone, blackberry, and android
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work

I would definitely go with TP2 if you are a longtime WM user. All or most of your software would work on TP2. There's a lot of customization that you can do with it as you can see how many threads in this forum. Unless you have a fetish for Touchflo or Sense disable it and that will also free up some more ram also.

TP2 battery life is not that bad. It's definite improvement over TP1. Last me all days with moderate use. You definitely get the rated talk time (unless your signal is constantly 1 bar or less i guess)

We haven't even got to the nice bigger high res screen. That screen kicks asses l

You definitely don't want to make your wm experience worse by using those other devices.....

(Heh aren't we all biased toward TP2? I guess it does say TP2 at the top of forum. j/k).
Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

timbone19 is a n00b

I got my Touch Pro 2 a week ago on sprint for $299 brand new off ebay
I am a little disappointed, dont get me wrong, I love my Touch Pro 2 since I upgraded
from a Touch Pro, but the Touch Pro keyboard beats the Touch Pro 2 keyboard
size isnt always the best since the Touch Pro 2 doesnt have a CTRL key, I cant copy, cut or paste on the keyboard, something I could flawlessly with my Touch Pro, really disappointing that it was omitted maybe I will get a Custom ROM that uses Fn+v or C or X for Paste, Copy and Cut
Cos I gotta admit I am missing that
Apart from that Touch Pro 2 is the best phone out there if you cant do without a keyboard, seen all the other phones, their keyboards suck, Moment Keyboard is ok
but Touch Pro 2 has the most comfortable keyboard excluding the lack of a control key

Last edited by timbone19; 05-31-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung s3 BABY!!!!

pmeunier is keeping up the good workpmeunier is keeping up the good work

You knew the answer before asking the question. why else would you have only posted the question in this forum instead of also posting a question to the Android forum. great choice by the way but you'll want to be either sticking with 6.1 or flashing to a custom ROM. The Sprint upgrade is wicked slow.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbone19 View Post
I got my Touch Pro 2 a week ago on sprint for $299 brand new off ebay
I am a little disappointed, dont get me wrong, I love my Touch Pro 2 since I upgraded
from a Touch Pro, but the Touch Pro keyboard beats the Touch Pro 2 keyboard
size isnt always the best since the Touch Pro 2 doesnt have a CTRL key, I cant copy, cut or paste on the keyboard, something I could flawlessly with my Touch Pro, really disappointing that it was omitted maybe I will get a Custom ROM that uses Fn+v or C or X for Paste, Copy and Cut
Cos I gotta admit I am missing that
Apart from that Touch Pro 2 is the best phone out there if you cant do without a keyboard, seen all the other phones, their keyboards suck, Moment Keyboard is ok
but Touch Pro 2 has the most comfortable keyboard excluding the lack of a control key
you can use this program to reprogram any key. it's what most people use to get the cut and paste functionality back http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=554240
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2