PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

THE-COPS is keeping up the good workTHE-COPS is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to THE-COPS
Why do people like using Swype? It seems more complicated than useful.

I never could understand it. I have seen rave reviews over this Swype app. Saying that it makes typing out words and sentences much more easily and quickly. Previous users of touchscreen only phones with no qwerty keyboards are the ones to most praise this app, since they are accustomed to having to use the stylus to type. Getting my TP2 in Oct, this is my first PPC phone. Knowing that I have an available keyboard, I make use of quite often. But sometimes I just don't feel like sliding it out (that and to try and prevent premature wear on the slider) and use the stylus to tap out a message. It's no big deal for me to use the stylus. When I tried Swype, I worked with it for about 2 hours. I cannot see what the rabe is all about. If you ask me, it's complicated and takes way too friggin long to draw a line through the letters. Many times when it pops up words, it gets them wrong, and even when it does pop the right word, it seems like it makes it take longer to have to click on that word. I can tap tap tap tap out words a hell of a lot more quickly than trying to draw a path through them. There were other issues I had with it, but that was a few months ago so I dont recall what they were. It just takes up too much time to use this app... To put it in short, I deleted this app shortly after installing it.

It sucks IMO..... What is your take on it?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Why do people like using Swype? It seems more complicated than useful.

My take on it is: I have never used it im fine using soft keyboard without need for a stylus,but saying it sucks isn't right im sure since somany people rave about is its most likely that it isn't for you.Don't Put an app down so harshly that other people love which proves that it had alot of hard work put into it.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:03 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

i think its okay. it is kinda too slow for me though. i think in theory, its awesome. it probably rocks on a 4.3 inch screen though!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

rjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuff

I Do not think you gave it a fair shake. And I know that you didnt even bother trying to adjust the SETTINGS!!!! lmao.

You can set how LONG That screen with the suggested words will stay popped up if at all you can also set it to not pop up if you can spell.
You can also set it to be a bit more SLOPPY try to figure out what your trying to type even though your getting it wrong I find it to be EXTREMELY accurate and FAST.
The WORLDS text SPEED record was just set using Swype so I guess maybe you that some things are ok for some it works great for them and sometimes no so for others.

Swype 3.9 is even better in my opinion and I have a cab that has it working on any rom with out an issue its lovely.
I would give it another shot and adjust some of the settings to suit you better
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint): Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

i liked it. but only when i was driving or layin on my couch n 2 lazy to use 2 hands. it didnt have some choice words i use in my everyday talk which sucked & im not sure if had the ability to learn such words but i never really took time like that anyway 2 explore it. i was using it with no side effects i knew of but read many many threads on how it does more harm to our phones then we think. i got rid of it shortly b4 i upgraded to 6.5 because certain cabs costed my phone to go haywire & never installed it after cuz i DONT LIKE hard resets & kept my phone "light" so to speak. but its a hell of an idea on how it works & i may 1 day install it again, well if i downgrade to 6.1 bcuz memory is a thing of the past since 6.5 & i have no idea how much that would require. ehh
Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

ohh. it'll learn those werds. my friend sat here one night and taught it a bunch of stupid things i cant say here. we had a 20 miniute long conversation that night about wether ass hair was one word or two!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

I've tried it twice & didn't like it either. It seemed more complicated & slow than useful, IMO.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 04-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

rjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuff

There is a video tut that you can watch when you first install it or if you select the I down in the bottom left corner...lol

To teach words is very easy all you do is TAP The word out then you hit SPACE now its saved in the dictionary. if you wish to erase it you highlite the word and delete it that easy.
You can also get it to punctuate and put a space by just swyping to the mark you wish say a ? goto it then to space bar and whala@!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO 500

tracerit is becoming a great contributor

i use the hardware keyboard when i can but when i just want a quick text or reply, swype is better than anything else out there. what bugs me is that it still inserts the auto-space when i'm typing a URL... i'd turn it off but then typing non-URLs would be a hassle.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

THE-COPS is keeping up the good workTHE-COPS is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to THE-COPS

I polled up an email I sent someone back in December (when I tried Swype). I recall some more of what bugged me about it.

Yes .. it was adding words which bugged me. I found myself constantly having to add words, even some normal everyday ones. Otherwise, if it's not in the word list, it won't show up when d--r--a--w--i--n--g through your letters. And that just slowed me down. It just seems rather tedious to use. And another thing is, I also couldn't slash, highlight and delete a word the old way. Having o go to the other screen to fetch a character all the time.. yikes.

When I say it sucks, that is my opinion. I am in no way bashing on other people who use it. If someone likes using it, then that is their choice, good for them, but not me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2