PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[UPDATED!] City AND State of Area Code on Incoming Call Screen [VZW Support Added!]

Howdy!

I just finished a little project I started earlier today. This tweak updates the HTC area code / location database to include both the city AND state of the call. For Canadian area codes, I have added "(Canada)" at the end of the listing, and for international calls (such as Bermuda, Trinidad & Tobago, etc.) I have added "(INTL)" to the end of the listing. If you're confused, just take a look at the screenshots below, they should clarify everything.

This tweak should work on any device that currently displays which state a call originates from.

NOTE:
1. THIS IS NOT AN APPLICATION. This is a registry tweak. There is nothing running in the background to slow down your device!
2. I spoofed my phone number to get the examples pictured below. The (710) area code is reserved for government use ONLY [so I hope I didn't dig my own grave my spoofing my number to that!]
3. As you know, an area code can cover a massive number of cities. I used the most recent area code database, which listed every city covered by the area code. Within each area code, the largest metropolitan cities were indicated. I mapped the coverage of the area code and selected the most central of the major cities. Therefore the reported location gives a general idea of where the number originates from.
4. I am receiving reports from many VZW ROM users that the location information is not shown on the incoming call screen. Please see below for a fix.

I skimmed over the list a few times to check for spelling mistakes/typos, but it is possible that I missed something. If you get an incoming call and, for example, it says "Toldeo, Ohio" instead of "Toledo, Ohio", or perhaps the location information is too long and therefore cutoff the screen, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I will update the tweak to ensure the mistake is corrected.

[For any Texas A&M Aggie fans, a user requested a tweak to the 979 area code, which I have posted here.]

Code:
CHANGELOG

04/16/2010:
# Fix for VZW and possibly other carriers added

03/24/2010:
# (502) area code updated (thanks Rhodium500)

03/23/2010:
# Initial release
# (724) area code updated (thanks badwolf)
# (323) area code updated (thanks Bdurst08)
ROM Chefs: feel free to use the XML in your ROM!
I do request one thing, however. If you wish to post this elsewhere, just mention my name in your post. Thanks!

NOTE TO VZW USERS (and those who cannot get this tweak to work on a stock dialer):
Drewcam has found a fix! If you install the .cab attached below and the tweak does not work after a soft-reset, click here to download his fix. Don't forget to thank him at his post here.

Any work I do, tweaks I make, or fixes I provide are for the community to use and improve their devices. I have been asked if I accept donations which is why I am writing this. To be honest, just knowing that my work helps others makes me happy. However if you feel the need to show your appreciation in another way, I have setup a Paypal donation link here. But still, leaving a message saying that you like my work is thanks enough!
Attached Files
File Type: cab [saumaun] Extended Area Code DB.cab (4.2 KB, 3596 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by [sammich]; 04-16-2010 at 04:00 PM.
This post has been thanked 239 times.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

telsea is just getting started
Re: [NEW!]City AND State of Area Code on Incoming Call Screen

Thanked you!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

dude. you are my hero!!

-MightyMike was here.... true story!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

pokerjv is a n00b

sweet, thank you!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

badwolf is keeping up the good workbadwolf is keeping up the good workbadwolf is keeping up the good work

just dl'ed and checked the setup xml... <parm name="724" datatype="string" value="New Catle, Pennsylvania" /> 724 is a south west pa overlay offshoot of the Pittsburgh 412.
You might want to call it Suburban Pittsburgh. Anyway it would be New Castle. Not New Catle....

Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Threadstarter

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
just dl'ed and checked the setup xml... <parm name="724" datatype="string" value="New Catle, Pennsylvania" /> 724 is a south west pa overlay offshoot of the Pittsburgh 412.
You might want to call it Suburban Pittsburgh. Anyway it would be New Castle. Not New Catle....
Thanks
Good catch, badwolf. I have updated the 724 area code to show Pittsburgh, as that is the closest major metropolitan city. Thanks!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kernel610 is just getting started

wow, this sounds awesome. Can't wait to try it!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

osva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good work

Did you by any chance included Puerto Rico (787)?

Last edited by osva; 03-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Zwei
Carrier: TNN (the now network)

bdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Sweet!! Works great. Found spelling error. I have GV# area code 323 and you have Las Angeles instead of LOS Angeles. very good app though!!!! Keep it up.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Retired Moderator
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osva View Post
Did you by any chance included Puerto Rico (787)?
Yes, Puerto Rico is included. Incoming calls from that area code will indicate they are international.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurst08 View Post
Sweet!! Works great. Found spelling error. I have GV# area code 323 and you have Las Angeles instead of LOS Angeles. very good app though!!!! Keep it up.
Good catch. I updated the cab and the first post.
This post has been thanked 4 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2