PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03
Generally Speaking, WinMo 6.5 Drains More Battery Than 6.1?

I've experienced this myself going from Verizon's Stock 6.1, to custom 6.5 roms, and the official 6.5 roms from verizon

and now Sprint users are complaining about terrible battery life on 6.5. What is it about 6.5 all across the carriers thats killing the battery life so fast? is it just the 6.5 rom itself using so much battery?

on Verizon's stock 6.1 Rom i would easily get a whole 10 plus hours of battery life with bluetooth on and listening to music over my bluetooth headset for roughly 3-4 hours. So from maybe 10am - 8pm i would still be at 50% battery life

on 6.5 roms from 10am i'd be down to 30% battery life at about 4pm with bluetooth on listening to music

i've tried all the battery tweaks out there and registry edits (battery polling changes and turning the facedown mute ring to 0) and im still not having the best of battery life.

are there any 6.1 users out there still getting the best battery life? is the battery draining just a bug of the 6.5 roms?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Malachi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Generally Speaking, WinMo 6.5 Drains More Battery Than 6.1?

Strange, using 6.5 custom ROMs I've had the exact opposite experience. That's the main reason I've used custom ROMs, better battery life by a long shot. But, haven't tried the Sprint 6.5 yet, may try it next few days to see for myself.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

I haven't flashed to Sprints 6.5 as I'm on Mr. X's 6.5 and haven't found a better ROM, batt life on his ROM is incredible, I've done some testing on it and using battery monitor have seen numerous times 23mA on discharge. I'm currently on the latest Sprint radio w/ no other changes to the ROM and I've seen d/c of 47mA (within the first 23 hours of flashing the new radio) and for the better reception I've seen, I'll take a few extra mA d/c. IMO 6.5 is much better than 6.1, and remember, you need a few days and a few charge cycles to let it settle in.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

dalastone is keeping up the good workdalastone is keeping up the good work

I've never tried the custom 6.5's but so far for me the sprint 6.5 seems be quite good on battery life....maybe even better than my 6.1...guess time will tell. but so far I'm hapy.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Malachi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmedic View Post
I haven't flashed to Sprints 6.5 as I'm on Mr. X's 6.5 and haven't found a better ROM, batt life on his ROM is incredible, I've done some testing on it and using battery monitor have seen numerous times 23mA on discharge. I'm currently on the latest Sprint radio w/ no other changes to the ROM and I've seen d/c of 47mA (within the first 23 hours of flashing the new radio) and for the better reception I've seen, I'll take a few extra mA d/c. IMO 6.5 is much better than 6.1, and remember, you need a few days and a few charge cycles to let it settle in.
Not to go Off Topic, but can you explain what all that means, the d/c amperage stuff I mean. On my post, I was just going by how much percentage I have remaining at the end of the day, taking into consideration if it was a lite usage day, medium usage, or heavy usage.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G & HTC Touch Pro 2

DeMoNFLiP is a n00b

I was once a user to WinMo 6.1 using Mobile Shell and the battery life at the time was great. Now that I'm using the official 6.5 rom I notice quite a bit of usage on the battery even when my phone is on standby. I like the interface on the 6.5 rom but i believe the rom itself is the main reason of the bad battery life for now until someone comes up with a tweak that will make this rom run efficiently as well as the battery life. Mobile Shell will but my last option for now. I wonder if Mobile Shell 3.5.3 is compatible with 6.5? can anyone verify that if they are running on 6.5? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmedic View Post
how much effect does the radio have on battery life? im on Verizon using their stock radio. I've found that their latest radio with the 6.5 official update made the bluetooth transfers extremely slow so i stuck with their stock radio. Would i be able to use sprint's radio even tho im on Verizon? hows the bluetooth transfer rates with sprints new radio? is there radio any good?

im currently on the latest mighty rom sense 2.1
Old 03-21-2010, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Not to go Off Topic, but can you explain what all that means, the d/c amperage stuff I mean. On my post, I was just going by how much percentage I have remaining at the end of the day, taking into consideration if it was a lite usage day, medium usage, or heavy usage.
Let me preface this by stating I am NOT an electrical engineer by any means.... but I use a cab called battery monitor which will show charging rate, discharge rate, temp, etc. You can check the battery's discharge rate and obviously the lower the number the less the battery drain. It reads milliamps (mA) to gauge the charge/discharge rate and on Mr. X's 6.5 2.5 ROM I have regularly had discharge rates of 23mA. Other ROM's I've been on have all been higher than that, while running the same apps.

Now keep in mind, most custom ROM's have been built by removing much of the original carriers bloatware and also have mods/tweaks installed to increase battery life, and as we all use different apps at diff times, and cell reception plays a large roll in the battery life too, so everyones mileage will vary. I can just say that for what I use the phone for, and in my geographical area i.e. cell towers, Mr. X's 6.5 2.5 has by far been the best battery life for me. I'm not gonna tell you that I get 3 full days with heavy heavy use and constant bluetooth on and listen to music all day and stream videos, etc, but I can tell you that with normal use, i.e. e-mail every 30 min, texts, phone, websurfing, etc, I can get a good day out of the phone without question.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
how much effect does the radio have on battery life? im on Verizon using their stock radio. I've found that their latest radio with the 6.5 official update made the bluetooth transfers extremely slow so i stuck with their stock radio. Would i be able to use sprint's radio even tho im on Verizon? hows the bluetooth transfer rates with sprints new radio? is there radio any good?

im currently on the latest mighty rom sense 2.1
As long as you're HSPL unlocked you can flash radios. Mr. X has a thread stickied with radios you can flash, from VZW, Sprint, USCC, etc. These are not the same as the world unlocked ones, so please please please read the thread he took the time to put together as if you flash a radio from a different phone, you can brick your phone. You flash a radio the same as you flash a ROM but it will not reset your ROM or cause a HR, etc. I'm currently on Sprints latest radio and like it, although the original Sprint radio worked great for me. I tried all the others but for me the Sprint ones worked best. You can try the others and they may work better for you, or may not, each area is different. I don't know about the bt transfer rate as I don't use by often, but check out Mr. X's thread and try a few of them, you can always go back to the stock one you're using if you don't like the others, and again you don't lose anything, it will not HR your phone or cause any loss of cabs, texts, etc. And different radios do drain the battery differently. If you have better reception, you use less battery, versus poor reception and the radio is constantly checking for better service.

Edit: Here's a link to Mr. X's radio thread. Let me know if you have any other questions. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90342

Last edited by fishingmedic; 03-21-2010 at 09:41 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G - Rooted

El Ha$oN is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to El Ha$oN
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35541; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

i have been running custom ROM's by Juicy since i first recieved this phone. At first battery life was great easily lasting me the day without having to charge it. So i never really paid attention to discharge current or anything.
But lately i have realized the battery life sucks i cant even make it to 3PM anymore when i have disconnected the phone from the charger at 8AM.
Most of my time is at school and i dont get good service there, so i thought it must be the radio thats working extra hard to find a signal and thats killing the battery, so ive decided to turn it to airplane mode thinking it would save battery...well not really. for the past week ive been testing and i will put it in airplane mode at 830AM(only a half hr after disconnect from charger) and by 11AM i am already down to 60-70% battery. I DO NOT use during this time and like i mentioned the phone is in Airplane mode. I also checked the discharge current during airplane mode and it NEVER goes less than 147mA...is this normal?
I have the sprint touch pro 2 and called sprint and they told me i have to take it in for them to run some diagnostic test to have phone checked but i obviously need to load stock ROM and relock bla bla bla.
So I would like to avoid that method so i dont have to unlock it after i take it to sprint.

Does anyone have any suggestions....or is it that the phone has a defect? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2