PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

FrozenEntity is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Remote Desktop To Windows 7 From My TP2

Let me just say hello all, I am new, but I've used your site more than several times on my phone problems.

I just got my new HTC Touch Pro 2 and i'm learning all the apps for it, but one in particular is stumping me. Windows Remote Desktop. I am by no means stupid and have tried all I can, but I can't get it to work.

1.) I have Windows 7 Ultimate (So this should be working)
2.) I have allowed remote access to my computer
3.) I have allowed access for my user to remotely control the computer
4.) I forwarded port 3389 on my router on TCP and UDP to my local computer
5.) My input for the app looks like this:

Computer: "My public ip address"
User name: "administrator on the machine"
password: "my password"
domain: I left blank

I have tried connecting via my machine's local ip connected to my router on the wifi, but that wouldn't work either. Im getting really frustrated and I read some of the previous posts and some people seem to have gotten it to work so PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Mike74055 is a n00b
Re: Remote Desktop To Windows 7 From My TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenEntity View Post
Let me just say hello all, I am new, but I've used your site more than several times on my phone problems.

I just got my new HTC Touch Pro 2 and i'm learning all the apps for it, but one in particular is stumping me. Windows Remote Desktop. I am by no means stupid and have tried all I can, but I can't get it to work.

I have tried connecting via my machine's local ip connected to my router on the wifi, but that wouldn't work either. Im getting really frustrated and I read some of the previous posts and some people seem to have gotten it to work so PLEASE HELP ME!!!
For the port forwarding you only have to allow TCP. That wont cause your issue however.

I use remote desktop with windows 7 and my TP2 a lot I love it.

You might try using the setting "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)"

Other then that it seems like everything is correct.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Try establishing a data connection before trying to remote in. This is what got me tearing my hair out every time I tried to connect. For some reason, the RDP app wasn't establishing the data connection on its own & returning a connection error.

Just open a webpage or update your weather & then try connecting.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

boxeduphouses is becoming a great contributor

You have done everything correctly as far as I can tell in your instructions. Did you make sure that you have checked the option for allowing connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure). The version of RDP included on the phone and that is floating around here is based on older tech so your Windows 7 box needs to accomodate that. Make sure that you have set up the port forwarding on your router as well and enabled it hope this helps!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

taggart6 is just getting started

What cab are you using for remote desktop? I looked on my stock TP2 and couldn't find any remote desktop application.

EDIT: Whoops...found it under all settings.

Last edited by taggart6; 02-17-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

ponicg is keeping up the good workponicg is keeping up the good work

I don't see you say anywhere that you opened the firewall up. Maybe your firewall is blocking incoming connections? Forego the router for now and just Wifi + localip, and make sure it's not a firewall issue.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

FrozenEntity is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponicg View Post
I don't see you say anywhere that you opened the firewall up. Maybe your firewall is blocking incoming connections? Forego the router for now and just Wifi + localip, and make sure it's not a firewall issue.
It's at the bottom of the post, i tried it. I put in the local ip (192.168.1.5 for me), and dropped the firewall completely on my antivirus and windows firewall is down. Which applications should be checked off as allowed though? I also tried the suggested allowing connection from any version of remote desktop and that didn't work either, even wit the local ip. I was able to connect to my computer using gotomypc.com from my phone too, ugh!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

chopsxxx is just getting started

There are versions of RD client that don't work with 6.5. I had that problem on the first Juicy custom ROM I was using. No RDP natively installed, then installed the wrong cab... was for 6.1. Anyway, couldn't connect to ANY of the many servers I manage.

All fixed with correct cab. PM me if you think that's the issue, or search for remote desktop 6.5 cab on here and XDA.

You said your W7 firewall is off and that you attempted via the local IP addy over your wifi network. Make sure you can ping from the TP2 to your local ip. Use pocketLAN. Great utility. There are probably lots of other apps for network troubleshooting from your TP2

Your domain should be your network computer name. In 7 you can find that by right-clicking Computer and choose properties. Computer Name =

2 things before anything:

1) Can you connect to ANY RDP server/workstation using your currently installed version of your phone's RDP client? Possible version issue
2) Can you communicate with the other computer on the local network via wifi ie. ping/transfer files/browse network/etc. Also, some routers have a function that prohibits traffic via wifi to LAN. Only allows traffic to WAN.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by chopsxxx; 02-18-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

i tried this a couple of days ago too. followed all the instructions i found on the web. got conflicting info on what was supposed to be on each setting of remote desktop.
glad to know i'm not the only one having trouble.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Lightbulb Re: Remote Desktop To Windows 7 From My TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenEntity View Post

On your router make sure you are suring the right ip address. Typing cmd in the search bar on the start menu. On the windows dos application type ipconfig write down the IPv4 address and use it for your to address. You should be good to go now. Make you have a data connection and try logging in. Let me know if this worked for you. By thanking me.

Got this web page to configure remotedesk top instructions. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/ and this web page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_74V540xk if you follow these instruction it should work.

Please don't forget to thank me.

Last edited by jamice4u; 02-18-2010 at 07:06 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2