PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

beggehorn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Program or registry edit to allow built-in mic to work when USB cable is plugged in?

Hey all,

I use my TP2 in my car as my music player, GPS and speaker phone. I have a cassette tape adapter plugged into the headphone jack and use a cigarette lighter adapter to deliver charge via USB.

Everything works great as long as I first plug in the audio jack followed by the USB. If I do it in the reverse order, the phone's built in mic stops working. I think it assumes I am plugging in something that will feed audio into the device via an external mic (which I am not).

I'm looking for a way to allow the built-in microphone to keep functioning when a USB cable is plugged in as I'm going to install a car mount which only allows the USB connection.

Does anyone know of an app or registry edit that will allow me to change this setting?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham
Re: Program or registry edit to allow built-in mic to work when USB cable is plugged

Something similar has been discussed before I believe. Unfortunately, there is no regedit or program that I'm aware of because it's happening at the hardware level. This happens when one of the two mic-in leads (either in the 3.5mm jack or the extUSB port) gets "closed". This signals the phone to switch to that input. If it only happens when you plug in the USB first then its most likely the mic-in lead in the extUSB port getting closed. Have you tried a different charger?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

beggehorn is a n00b
Re: Program or registry edit to allow built-in mic to work when USB cable is plugged

It's not a charger I'm plugging in but rather a 3-in-1 adapter. I'm trying to get the proclip charging dock to allow audio out while preserving the function of the internal mic. I wonder if it would be as simple as pulling a pin from the USB plug?

Are you positive that it's hardware related?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hardware based. If you're using the 3-in-1 adapter then that's definitely what's triggering it. It is odd that if you plug the cassette adapter into the headphone jack first it doesn't cut off the mic - must have to do with the way the circuit is wired. But, yeah, you should be able to find a pin-out diagram for the extUSB port and pull or cover the mic-in pin - that would prevent it from closing the circuit that turns off the internal mic.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

I use one of these:

http://www.buy.com/prod/htc-stereo-h...211421326.html

You can then plug the Cassette Adapter into this (as well as the power source), rather than into the TP2 directly, so everything should work properly, and should fix your problem.

Reasonably cheap as well.

I take it one step further, and found one of these at Best Buy for half price:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4571

The cassette adapter plugs into this, and this plugs into the TP2. I ran the microphone on the driver's side pillar, so that it's near my mouth when I speak, and I can initiate Voice Command by hitting the button on it. Kind of a cheap hands-free car setup.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

1454 is keeping up the good work1454 is keeping up the good work

This is kinda what I'm looking for. DLC, with is work with the voice recorder only? Will it activate this mic?

Last edited by 1454; 03-26-2010 at 07:10 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2