PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

kidwolf908 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VZW 6.5 vs. MightyROM 1.20.10

***I know I could have searched and read through 10,000 pages of results, but I only have a few questions***

So, I'm coming from the stock Verizon 6.1 ROM and it has been great to me! However, I do wish to have the features that Sense 2.1 and WM 6.5 bring with them, so I am interested in flashing. I am torn between Mighty and the stock update though.

I want the same speed and reliability that my stock 6.1 ROM provided, so I am leaning toward the VZW release considering the problems that MightyROM still has, but I have a few questions:

Does the VZW 6.5 ROM require the MMS fix that custom roms do?

Do custom roms have this "battery drain" issue that people are seeing with the VZW 6.5 update?

What kind of bloatware is loaded into the VZW 6.5 release?

How much ROM/RAM do you have available upon first boot with both VZW 6.5 and MR 1.20.10?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

msh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to msh441 Send a message via Yahoo to msh441
Re: VZW 6.5 vs. MightyROM 1.20.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf908 View Post
I want the same speed and reliability that my stock 6.1 ROM provided...
Be aware, I thought 6.5 was really laggy and sluggish during my first few days after flashing. It seems to pick up speed over time and after shutting down some of the memory hogs (see battery drain responce below).

Quote:
Does the VZW 6.5 ROM require the MMS fix that custom roms do?!
If you mean disabling the message sent notification, yes. If you mean the 2016 date stamp issue, no, it's fixed in the Verizon ROM, so the "fix" here is unnecessary.

Quote:
Do custom roms have this "battery drain" issue that people are seeing with the VZW 6.5 update?!
I don't know. I never noticed it, myself. But I can tell you, after setting up your e-mail to update every hour or so, turning off or toning down the weather & stock updates, and turning off push internet, battery drain has not been an issue for me. It lasts about the same as it did under 6.1 (a full day under above-average use).

Quote:
What kind of bloatware is loaded into the VZW 6.5 release?!
SAme as 6.1. VZ Navigator and Visual Voice Mail are the only two things that immediately come to mind

Quote:
How much ROM/RAM do you have available upon first boot with both VZW 6.5 and MR 1.20.10?!
Wither Verizon, I typically boot up and run HTC Sense 2.1 with about 55-57% memory use. Over the course of the day, I seem to idel around 60-65% during normal use. Under heavy use (Internet open and running a couple other programs in the background, it'll climb to 80-85%. It goes back down to around 70% after that.

A point of note however: I use MemMaid and have configured it to favor speed over availible memory. If I set it to favor memory over speed, I could get a bit more free RAM. I also use it to clean the system at least once a day to both free up internal memory and clean up RAM use (which will bring it right back down to about 60% in use).

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Be sure and give "thanks" to those who take the time to answer (click on the button below).
Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

willyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIP

I'm with Verizon and had been one of those on the fence about flashing custom ROMs. So, I took the plunge. Without going into too much detail and being long winded, I can't think of any reason to go back to the stock ROM! If only for the start menu folders! If you would like, PM me and I will give you my step by step process of how I did it. I would HIGHLY recomend going the base MightyROM.

My $0.02
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

msh he means does mms work right after a flash. the answer is no, you need to set up mms

Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

kidwolf908 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidetkin511 View Post
msh he means does mms work right after a flash. the answer is no, you need to set up mms
Correct, this is what I meant. In the custom ROM's, I also understand that there was something wrong with MMS and that you had to use an around-about way to send an MMS.

Are there instructions somewhere for setting up MMS on the 6.5 ROM?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

willyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIP

There is nothing wrong with MMS in custom ROMs. It's carrier specific, so he doesn't cook that part in. You just have to use one of the MMS cab files for it to work with VZW.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

machek is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Correct, this is what I meant. In the custom ROM's, I also understand that there was something wrong with MMS and that you had to use an around-about way to send an MMS.

Are there instructions somewhere for setting up MMS on the 6.5 ROM?

I don't know what these guys are talking about regarding mms on these roms, my experiance was that you do have to tweek the custom roms but not Verizons! This Stock 6.5 Rom is awesome, I've personally used Mighty Mike, and prefer the Verizon Rom. You can tweak it just as easily as his, and I run at about 50% ram right off the bat without doing any tweaks. Let your battery run all the way down the first day and then charge it. I also use the phone for streaming music constantly and have ran it today with it being on for 13 hours now, and I'm still at 60% battery. I've made a few phone calls too, but my opinion is that Verizons 6.5 is nearly perfect. Some people are saying that its not very smooth at first, but mine was. Maybe because I did a hard reset before i flashed it. Works perfectly!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

machek is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjay View Post
There is nothing wrong with MMS in custom ROMs. It's carrier specific, so he doesn't cook that part in. You just have to use one of the MMS cab files for it to work with VZW.
The only cab I've had to use to do anything with MMS is the one to disable the bubble, otherwise all works as it should.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

With the stock rom, there is no need to do any MMS fix. With Mighty's rom, I had to install either JooJoo's or imnuts' Verizon arcsoft MMS cab to work properly.

EDIT: I've been running MightyROM for a while now, never really gave VZW stock 6.5 any time. I'm going to flash back to VZW stock and run that a few days and see what's what. If you're interested, I'll post my personal experience.

Last edited by willyjay; 01-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

In my opinion the only reason to flash a custom ROM is for 6.5.3 or Sense 2.5 other than that I'd say stick with the stock update and just tweak the hell out of it and make it your own.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2