PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: htc evo3D
Carrier: Sprint

Sim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Sim-X Send a message via Yahoo to Sim-X
My Phone keeps locking up and freezing - all black screen

Well I don't know what to do anymore except bring it in. Lately my phone has been locking up and freezing. I mainly notice it after re-booting my phone (either power off or soft-reset) It will get to the home screen - go to sleep like usual and then if I hit the power button again it does nothing. Most the time you can still see the backlight is on but the screen is all black. Holding down the power button does nothing. I either have to take out the battery of use the reset button. Sometimes it will do it 2-3 times in a row after booting. Once it gets going it seems to be ok. Just mainly after a reset or power off. It has never been a hard reset issue just phone locks up. I was on the older hard-spl since I unlocked the phone when it first was released.

So to try and cure it, this morn I flashed back to stock, clear storage, re-locked, clear storage, unlocked it with latest hard spl, clear storage, flashed back to 01-13 mighty, clear storage - then got everything set back up. It still does it -

So not sure what the issue is but I was thinking about bringing it in, I really don't wan a refurb which I'm sure I'll end up getting but not sure if this does it with stock rom. I haven't had any problems with Mighty so not sure what is going on here or why it's doing this.

Has anyone else had any similar problems?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Sim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuff
Re: My Phone keeps locking up and freezing - all black screen

So does anyone have any advice or this problem? Should I just bring it in?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2, LG Optimus S and EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: @SPRINT.COM

mikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

My suggestion would bring it in and have them look at it. Seeing as you have to constantly reset it and you already flashed back to stock. But my question is, did it do the same thing with the stock rom? I didn't see you say in your statement that it is happening on stock. Just that you flashed stock, locked and unlocked again only to reflash MM rom. Try running stock for a while and see if it continues to happen just don't install any programs yet, try to narrow it down to either the rom, cabs, tweaks or the phone all together.
your mumma's wear dirty g-strings to work, nuketown is buckin hell sick, show some love you hamburger's. double up bubble up. peace out. p.s nuketown is the shiznit, like your mumma's beef strogganoff.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

This was happening to me earlier on mighty War. First time this happened to me but not the first time I've used Mighty war. The only thing I did different was I didn't have to relock and when I loaded Mighty rom back I did a hard reset (hold talk, end, power) instead of clear storage. It's only been a few hours but hasn't happened yet.

If this happens on stock without anything installed then I don't know what's causing it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

+1 to mikejones13's comment. Does it do this on stock ROM? And does it do it on any fresh ROM flash with nothing else added? If so it sounds like hardware -especially when you say "Most the time you can still see the backlight is on but the screen is all black".

Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Yea I guess I will have to do some more testing -

Thank you guys for the comments

I'm not sure if it will do it on stock since only only flashed it back to re-lock and clear storage. I really don't wanna run stock but I'm not gonna have much of a choice in order to narrow this down to a hardware issue.

I think next time it happens, I'm gonna try a hard reset via the buttons and not clear storage see if that helps. Then once that is done I'm gonna not load anything on the phone and see if it happens except maybe my contacts. If that doesn't work prob run stock for a while and see what's up. The phone has been really good and am still on my 1st one so other than this issue I really don't wanna bring it in. Guess I will just have to test to figure out of it's a hardware issue.

The only thing I can think of I do have google latitude on as well as magicall which both are added to startup as well as animated weather backgrounds. Everything appears to load fine but maybe those have something to do with it. I'm not in a huge hurry since once the phone is good booting it seems to stay on. I will keep this updated on what I find in case anyone else happens to have this issue.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

ok so I thought I would post an update in case someone is having the same issue. Thanks aznmode for the tip (thanked) I ended up flashing back to stock and hard reset using the hard keys rather than clear storage. Then went back to mighty - I have not had any problems SO FAR. So thank you for that tip. Really don't wanna jinx myself but that's why I waited so long to post back so if anyone is having issues I would recommend giving that a try. Just to clarify I wasn't having a hard reset issues but my phone would lock up and screen turn black and would have to soft reset.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO LTE

AB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAB33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have been having this problem the past few days as well and I am running Mighty ROM 1-13, I was going to Flash to Mighty 1-20 or the Sprint Stock but I know the next Mighty is about to come out. Sometimes the phone will run great then all of a sudden it freezes up and runs extremely slow or not all.

Last edited by AB33; 01-31-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Give what I did a try
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2

lgmayka is keeping up the good worklgmayka is keeping up the good work

You all seem to be referring to the well-known "failure to wake" issue. My workaround is:

1) I installed a rebooting program, so that when this phenomenon occurs, I can hold down the Talk button (for voice command) and say, "Start Reboot Now."

2) After the reboot, I jiggle the Auto Adjust Backlight--turn it off if it was on, and vice-versa.

By the way, I run with Sprint's stock firmware.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2