PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

c.zxero973 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to c.zxero973 Send a message via Yahoo to c.zxero973
Rom w/o Unlocking

I am curious, maybe this is a stupid question I've searched but I am gettin no real answer. I was wonderign is it possible to install a new rom w/o unlocking your phone? I know when I had my mogul and the 6.1 software came out all i had to do was download it and install it. So I wanna know Are there any roms i can just install without unlocking my phone and voiding the warranty? Thanx for any info anyone can give.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 4G
Carrier: Telus

SmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuff
Re: Rom w/o Unlocking

Unless it's released by your service provider, then no.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

a1jatt is becoming a PPCGeeks regulara1jatt is becoming a PPCGeeks regulara1jatt is becoming a PPCGeeks regulara1jatt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if your phone is not unlocked you can only install roms that are released by your provider.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

short answer no, while its theoretically possible someone would have to crack the code needed to make a rom signed properly so the locked spl wouldn't reject it.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

jaworthen is keeping up the good workjaworthen is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.zxero973 View Post
I am curious, maybe this is a stupid question I've searched but I am gettin no real answer. I was wonderign is it possible to install a new rom w/o unlocking your phone? I know when I had my mogul and the 6.1 software came out all i had to do was download it and install it. So I wanna know Are there any roms i can just install without unlocking my phone and voiding the warranty? Thanx for any info anyone can give.
No, the only way to flash a custom ROM is to unlock the phone. ROMS from the carriers (for example, updates from Sprint), will install on a locked phone but only because they are official carrier versions of the ROMs. All other custom ROMs require the unlocker. I have unlocked both the TP and TP2 without issue and have never looked back to stock ROMs. Hope this helps.

If I've helped in any way, please hit the THANKS button - and thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaworthen View Post
No, the only way to flash a custom ROM is to unlock the phone. ROMS from the carriers (for example, updates from Sprint), will install on a locked phone but only because they are official carrier versions of the ROMs. All other custom ROMs require the unlocker. I have unlocked both the TP and TP2 without issue and have never looked back to stock ROMs. Hope this helps.
Exactly!

Donations always accepted but never expected!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

c.zxero973 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to c.zxero973 Send a message via Yahoo to c.zxero973

Alright thanx, for the help & you can re-lock a phone that has been unlocked right? say i buy the unlocker, unlock the phone stick a new rom in and somethin goes wrong i can flash it back to stock relock it and send it back right?... sorry for all the noob questions...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

jaworthen is keeping up the good workjaworthen is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Alright thanx, for the help & you can re-lock a phone that has been unlocked right? say i buy the unlocker, unlock the phone stick a new rom in and somethin goes wrong i can flash it back to stock relock it and send it back right?... sorry for all the noob questions...
Yes, that is the process. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

lobo4806 is keeping up the good worklobo4806 is keeping up the good worklobo4806 is keeping up the good work

no...
Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2
Carrier: AT&T

zdogtag1 is keeping up the good workzdogtag1 is keeping up the good workzdogtag1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
The unlocker, to flash custom roms is free, you only have to pay if you want the security unlocker that allows use on GSM network, by allowing you to put in a tmobile or AT&T sim.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
rom, sprint, touch pro 2, tp2, unlocking