PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rom w/o Unlocking (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104344)

c.zxero973 01-02-2010 05:01 PM

Rom w/o Unlocking

I am curious, maybe this is a stupid question I've searched but I am gettin no real answer. I was wonderign is it possible to install a new rom w/o unlocking your phone? I know when I had my mogul and the 6.1 software came out all i had to do was download it and install it. So I wanna know Are there any roms i can just install without unlocking my phone and voiding the warranty? Thanx for any info anyone can give.

SmknJoe 01-02-2010 05:04 PM

Re: Rom w/o Unlocking

Unless it's released by your service provider, then no.

a1jatt 01-02-2010 05:04 PM

if your phone is not unlocked you can only install roms that are released by your provider.

cornelious2 01-02-2010 05:05 PM

short answer no, while its theoretically possible someone would have to crack the code needed to make a rom signed properly so the locked spl wouldn't reject it.

jaworthen 01-02-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c.zxero973 (Post 1455922)
I am curious, maybe this is a stupid question I've searched but I am gettin no real answer. I was wonderign is it possible to install a new rom w/o unlocking your phone? I know when I had my mogul and the 6.1 software came out all i had to do was download it and install it. So I wanna know Are there any roms i can just install without unlocking my phone and voiding the warranty? Thanx for any info anyone can give.

No, the only way to flash a custom ROM is to unlock the phone. ROMS from the carriers (for example, updates from Sprint), will install on a locked phone but only because they are official carrier versions of the ROMs. All other custom ROMs require the unlocker. I have unlocked both the TP and TP2 without issue and have never looked back to stock ROMs. Hope this helps.

scrosler 01-02-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaworthen (Post 1455939)
No, the only way to flash a custom ROM is to unlock the phone. ROMS from the carriers (for example, updates from Sprint), will install on a locked phone but only because they are official carrier versions of the ROMs. All other custom ROMs require the unlocker. I have unlocked both the TP and TP2 without issue and have never looked back to stock ROMs. Hope this helps.

Exactly!

c.zxero973 01-02-2010 05:26 PM

Alright thanx, for the help & you can re-lock a phone that has been unlocked right? say i buy the unlocker, unlock the phone stick a new rom in and somethin goes wrong i can flash it back to stock relock it and send it back right?... sorry for all the noob questions...

jaworthen 01-02-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c.zxero973 (Post 1455972)
Alright thanx, for the help & you can re-lock a phone that has been unlocked right? say i buy the unlocker, unlock the phone stick a new rom in and somethin goes wrong i can flash it back to stock relock it and send it back right?... sorry for all the noob questions...

Yes, that is the process. Good luck!

lobo4806 01-02-2010 06:56 PM

no...

zdogtag1 01-02-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c.zxero973 (Post 1455972)

The unlocker, to flash custom roms is free, you only have to pay if you want the security unlocker that allows use on GSM network, by allowing you to put in a tmobile or AT&T sim.