PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC-6800

ITistic is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Memory Leaks?

I don't know if this was a problem before I upgraded to the Alltel WM6 rom a few days ago, but I have been watching my memory closer today and it seems as though programs are not releasing their memory when closed. Here's what I've got:

1. Fresh boot the phone - 25MB free program memory. The only program that is running in the background is HTC X-Button.

2. Use the phone for a while (surf the web in PIE, send/receive a few text messages, receive/initiate a few phone calls).

3. Check running programs list to find nothing is running (HTC X-Button is working properly).

4. Check free program memory - It's now down to 18MB.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 PM
N00b

zelet is a n00b
Everybody has this problem. My Sprint version will drop down to 8-9MB free after 2 days without a reset.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
That's a known issue. My phone frequently goes to 5 or 6MB free with nothing open. Hopefully a real solution is found soon.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work
It's horrid, they really need to fix this. It's making streaming impossible.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

ITistic is a n00b
Is it only a problem with this model phone and WM6? I don't recall having this problem before I upgraded to WM6.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

ITistic is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
It's horrid, they really need to fix this. It's making streaming impossible.
How long are you able to stream before the memory is all used up?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC HD2 - TMOUS
Carrier: T-Mobile

DopeWeasel is just getting started
Try this thread... some have suggested removing a few startup items that seem to help as well as a freeware ram defrag app called Oxios Memory.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=319580
Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
Carrier: AT&T

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag
If you need more RAM free you can use a program like SKTools to adjust your phones settings for performance or to run more efficient on RAM. There's a bunch of tweaks in that program that could be useful to you in a situation like this.

This is a known issue with all 6800s running WM6... the dang phones just seem to eat up RAM over time for no reason. Oxios is a good program for freeing up RAM as well even though SKTools has a script included that frees up RAM pretty well.

Also, if you are only going down to 18MB free, you're doing good. I've heard of a lot worse than that.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 AM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
this gets old. this is not an issue. its not mogul related. its how wm6 manages memory and its by design. its been covered in at least 10 threads in the mogul forum, and id be willing to bet the same discussion goes on in every other forum of a 64mb wm6 device.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
Carrier: AT&T

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post
this gets old. this is not an issue. its not mogul related. its how wm6 manages memory and its by design. its been covered in at least 10 threads in the mogul forum, and id be willing to bet the same discussion goes on in every other forum of a 64mb wm6 device.
I wouldn't say it's not an issue. This is an issue. They should have manufactured these phones with 128MB of RAM. This 64MB is bullshit for a phone such as the 6800. I don't even know what they were thinking. This is one of the biggest downfalls of the 6800. Actually, it is the biggest downfall. Besides that, the 6800 is an excellent phone. The amount of RAM and the way the phone 'eats' RAM is the only major issue with the 6800. So yeah, it's definitely an issue. For this reason alone, I'm considering another phone/carrier.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan