PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITistic View Post
How long are you able to stream before the memory is all used up?

Well keep in mind that on average I only have around 10-12MB free. But I can usually only stream about 30 seconds, then I run out of memory and it hangs.

Also, memory freeing applications don't do much at all. I'm using memaid and it rarely frees more than a meg.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrageser View Post
I wouldn't say it's not an issue. This is an issue. They should have manufactured these phones with 128MB of RAM. This 64MB is bullshit for a phone such as the 6800. I don't even know what they were thinking. This is one of the biggest downfalls of the 6800. Actually, it is the biggest downfall. Besides that, the 6800 is an excellent phone. The amount of RAM and the way the phone 'eats' RAM is the only major issue with the 6800. So yeah, it's definitely an issue. For this reason alone, I'm considering another phone/carrier.
the term issue implies that there could be a potential resolution, and there is not, other than your suggestion of buying a different device, which would be my suggestion as well, if your needs surpass what this device was designed for. htc is aware of the amount of memory they put in the phone. htc is aware of how ppcs perform. microsoft is aware of how wm6 handles memory. all are behaving as they were designed. behavior as designed does not constitute an issue. those who purchased a htc titan received what was advertised.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: your mom
Carrier: Hopey McChange

LotekJunky is a n00b
I used to run into memory issues all of the time when i was running the HTC Home Plugin (3 tab, 4 tab, whatever, didn't matter). I ditched that poorly designed piece of bloat and now I have ZERO issues with memory management EVER.

As far as there not being a possible fix for this, there could be, but it would have to come from MS. If it really bothers some of you, please report it to MS.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:06 PM
dcd
VIP Member

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotekJunky View Post
I used to run into memory issues all of the time when i was running the HTC Home Plugin (3 tab, 4 tab, whatever, didn't matter). I ditched that poorly designed piece of bloat and now I have ZERO issues with memory management EVER.

As far as there not being a possible fix for this, there could be, but it would have to come from MS. If it really bothers some of you, please report it to MS.
i second that, htc home caused the only memory issues ive ever seen. probably not a coincidence that 90% of mogul users are using it.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
Carrier: AT&T

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post
the term issue implies that there could be a potential resolution, and there is not, other than your suggestion of buying a different device, which would be my suggestion as well, if your needs surpass what this device was designed for. htc is aware of the amount of memory they put in the phone. htc is aware of how ppcs perform. microsoft is aware of how wm6 handles memory. all are behaving as they were designed. behavior as designed does not constitute an issue. those who purchased a htc titan received what was advertised.
Yeah, what you say is true. Although, they really should have put 128MB of RAM in the 6800. It would bring the device to it's full potential. Installing only 64MB of RAM in this thing is almost a waste of a device that has the potential to be so much more than what it is.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
dcd
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrageser View Post
Yeah, what you say is true. Although, they really should have put 128MB of RAM in the 6800. It would bring the device to it's full potential. Installing only 64MB of RAM in this thing is almost a waste of a device that has the potential to be so much more than what it is.
now that is a statement i can agree with
Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
It's not a memory leak. If you read the thread, you would know that it's normal. I don't see why people are obsessed with memory usage, unless you are having a problem, it's largely irrelevant due to the way memory is utilized.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post
those who purchased a htc titan received what was advertised.
I don't really agree with you. What was advertised was 64mb ram. What's available is 47mb ram to the OS, and ~20-24mb max to the user...

-mark
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
BTW - it's considered a memory leak when apps get OOM messages with nothing running.. (which frequently happens to me if I haven't rebooted my phone in a day or two..)
-mark
Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
dcd
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomark View Post
I don't really agree with you. What was advertised was 64mb ram. What's available is 47mb ram to the OS, and ~20-24mb max to the user...

-mark
you were given 64mb of RAM in the hardware, and software behavior and settings limit this down to 47mb available. the ram available to os was never the spec advertised. this is an effect of software and settings that were also advertised, and you decided to purchase.

if youd like me to dig up the thread of motherboard pictures and research the memory chip to prove it is 64mb, its a waste of time, but im bored..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan