PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
N00b

nsinsinsi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
More functional device locking

I searched and read through the forums, and I still didn't find a good answer, so here goes:

I am sick of my Mogul making phone calls by itself while it is in its holster. I really need a device lock program that actually helps me simplify the Mogul experience rather than complicating it further.

The only thing that would make sense would be for the phone to lock itself whenever the power button is used to turn off the device, like PalmOS Treos do. It's the least intrusive, smartest approach to device locking. I honestly cannot believe this isn't built into WM6, but I digress.

I haven't found anything that will behave this way on the Mogul. Am I missing something? Anyone have any ideas how to implement this? Please share.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for argument's sake, these are my thoughts on the tools I've found by searching:

HTC device lock: ridiculously stupid in principle. You have to go to the today screen and hit a small icon with your thumb. It's anti-user interface.

Slide2Unlock: For a locking program, it's too much of a memory hog, unstable, slow and heavy. I don't care to imitate the iPhone, and the Mogul is pretty flaky as it is without it. This is not an option for me (no offense to the developer, it's just not what I'm looking for)

Device Lock by Matt from XDA: this is almost what I need but it lacks the vital feature of working automatically when powering the device down, as far as I can tell. The only way to use it with any degree of sense is by assigning it to a hard button, which means that I have to press two buttons to turn off the phone: the device lock button, and the power button, and that's just stupid.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
I use Device lock and have it assigned to my comm manager button. One press causes it to lock and power down/suspend my phone.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

nsinsinsi is a n00b
So, that approach takes away one button and makes the power button useless. It just makes so much more sense for the power button to do this automatically...

It's crazy, the Mogul has 13 buttons and everything is so complicated that I find myself actually running out of them.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Maximus192ad is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsinsinsi
It's crazy, the Mogul has 13 buttons and everything is so complicated that I find myself actually running out of them.
Agreed
Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

letsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good workletsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers81
I use Slide2Unlock and I think it's the best locking app out there at the moment. I'm just amazed there's no real keyguard type app built into the device.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
nice review

I agree with your take on all but device lock, the hitting an extra button thing really doesn't bother me

but I would like a self timer, sometimes id like to simply put my phone in my pocket and not worry about calling a random or last contact
Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
both devicelock and slide will lock on wake. this works fine for me with no extra botton presses or assignments

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 08-10-2007, 06:54 AM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
If anyone wants to take a crack at it, I'll bet that you could achieve an autolock using mortscript and Devicelock together. The mortscript would need to find a way to check if the device has been idle for a set period of time. If so, it would activate devicelock to suspend and lock the device.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro & Palm Pre

Machinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuff
Slide2lock is such a memory whore though.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

nsinsinsi is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel
both devicelock and slide will lock on wake. this works fine for me with no extra botton presses or assignments
Is "wake" the same thing as pressing the power button to turn the device on? Mine does not work even after I checked the "lock on wake" option.

It only works if I explicitly run "devicelock".

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan