PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dis99 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Disable dialing #777

Is there like a registry setting or something so that my phone does not dial the #777 as I do not havea data plan and keep getting the data provisioning error and it gets annoying
Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: Disable dialing #777

Why not just go into you connection settings and 1) delete the #777 connect or 2) delete your password so it cannot connect?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

azrael201 is a n00b

it always comes back for me
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0#post10377230
Above link talks about the HTC_CM_Guardian file. You have to overwrite it with an empty text file with the same extension and name. That is the only way with the Verizon stock rom since it brings the connection back.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM
VIP Member
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

But isnt the gaurdian file only on Sprint devices? And what do you mean it comes back? Please explain more like you go and delete and close out of the window and go back and there it is? Or after a soft reset or hard reset? I know it will after a hard reset but you should be hard resetting that often anyway. Go and change your pass in EPST and I bet it wont change back on its own.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Mr. Chevy

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Please explain more like you go and delete and close out of the window and go back and there it is?.
Yes after a soft reset the connection reappears. On the verizon stock rom if you delete the connection it comes back. The file the creates the connection is either a part of the rom that can't be deleted or a program running in the background recreates the connection. No the guardian file is a part of the stock Verizon roms or at least the ones I originally had before custom. Just overwriting the file with a blank text file of the same name does the job.

Last edited by drewcam888; 02-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

OK, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but why would you get a PPC without some kind of a data connection? Seems to defeat one of the purposes of having one.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Mr. Chevy

Because if I need internet I can find wifi. Saves me some money.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Titan

jsmith45 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
Yes after a soft reset the connection reappears. On the verizon stock rom if you delete the connection it comes back. The file the creates the connection is either a part of the rom that can't be deleted or a program running in the background recreates the connection. No the guardian file is a part of the stock Verizon roms or at least the ones I originally had before custom. Just overwriting the file with a blank text file of the same name does the job.
Correct. To disable the dialing of #777 you must remove the connection from the device.

To do this you go Start=>settings=>Connections(tab)=>Connections(ico n).
There should be a connection listed here. On my phone it was Alltel Wireless, I'm not sure what it is called on Verizon Roms. One of the links underneath it should mention settings or configuration. Choose that link.

In the new window, choose the general tab, (it should open to the Modem tab). Click The delete settings button.

That would prevent the phone from dialing #777. However, the HTC_CM_Guardian.exe file will undo these changes at soft-reset. (I'm not sure, but it might also undo these changes periodically while running.)

So you want to disable it from running. The easiest way to do this is to overwrite the exe with a zero byte file. You see the way Windows mobile works, allows you to replace files in the ROM by having a file of the same name in the same directory in the Storage Memory.

So create a zero byte file (the easiest way is to create a blank text file) and rename it to HTC_CM_Guardian.exe. Then copy it into \Windows\ using a file manager other than the built-in one, such as Total Commander or Resco Explorer.

To undo these changes is simple. Just delete the HTC_CM_Guardian.exe file. Thios will succeed but because the ROM copy is still there, it might look as though it did not. If concerned, you can try deleting it again. It will fail, since you cannot delete a file in ROM.

Now to put it all together, I would reccomend these steps:
  1. Disable the HTC_CM_Guardian file, as described above.
  2. Reboot. (Soft reset)
  3. Remove the connection as described at the beginning of this message.
  4. Reboot. (Soft reset)
  5. Now double check that it worked, by going Start=>Settings=>Connections(tab)=>Connections(ico n). If the two connections listed as "My ISP", and "My Work Network", you have succeeded.
Now (as far as I know) the system will only use Wifi, Activesync bridging, or if you can set it up, computer to device connection sharing over Bluetooth. (The last should be possible, but windows mobile bluetooth stack may lack support for it, and Bluetooth can be a pain to work with, especially if the PC is running Windows.)

Actually I suppose other connections could be made using an SDIO device in micro-sd form factor, and appropriate Windows Mobile drivers.
(I've never actually heard of any microsd SDIO cards, but they are possible in theory, and the spec allows for SD to microsd adapters, even though virtually nobody sells them.)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

When I used my 6700 on Verizon I renamed the #777 to #sevensevenseven. I also provided a fake username. If it ever tried connecting to the internet it would try to ask for a password and I would cancel to be sure it didn't connect. I didn't have a dataplan too on Verizon, couldn't find it in myself to dish out 45$ for data. Now that I've gotten data on Sprint, I don't think I can ever go back to just a voice phone, hahah.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan