PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC G2 and HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Matchstick is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Matchstick Send a message via MSN to Matchstick Send a message via Yahoo to Matchstick Send a message via Skype™ to Matchstick
Question Alltel specific question about internet sharing

I've done a bit of searching around about this. I've never used the Internet Sharing program on my Alltel Titan. But since we just disconnected our broadband service I was thinking about this more and more.

Now my Alltel guy told me when I bought this phone, that using it as a modem (i.e. internet sharing, i think) would cost me extra on my bill. Is this true? I question it since the Internet Sharing program is provided with WM6.1.

Just thought I'd ask you guys before I try it when I get home. I would hate to have an extra charge on a bill that I can already barely pull off. Does using my phone for teh intarwebs on my laptop cost me extra? (i have an unlimited data plan, but the guy said that using the phone for internets on my laptop would be extra)

So the question goes out to all of you on the Alltel network. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Alltel specific question about internet sharing

Yes, if you use the Internet Sharing, you will be charged for it.. I am not sure how much since I have Sprint, but they have a way of seeing that you are using it... There is a program called wmwifirouter... It enables your phone to broadcast Wi-Fi out so that you can connect your laptop to the wi-fi signal without getting charged extra for it..
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to Matchstick Send a message via MSN to Matchstick Send a message via Yahoo to Matchstick Send a message via Skype™ to Matchstick

That's what I wanted to know. I have the cab for wmwifirouter, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to use it. I've been hearing bad things about what it does to the battery. I was hoping I could just use the USB cable.

My desktop doesn't have a wifi card, so the internet would have to used on my gf's laptop.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to rig something up for my phone then.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX
Carrier: Verizon

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn

Im on Alltel and have the unlimited data plan and I use internet sharing and its totally free. IF you dont have the unlimited data plan it will eat into your time. Iv been using it for over a year and Iv never been charged a dime extra for it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Never mind then... I know for Sprint it's different.. Sorry about giving you the wrong advice Match
Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

It's all good BigD. I'm still a little leary about it. I've got my new Alltel guy looking into it. I've got wmwifirouter installed on my phone. So I hope that will work for my gf's laptop. But if I can tether it to my own desktop. That'll be so nice.

Yearn, did you talk to Alltel about it at all? Or did you just plug and go?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community

When I got the phone the Alltel Rep told me as long as you have the unlimited data plan it was free (or included in the plan) the first few months we had them (my wife also has a touch) we had our DSL disconnected. so we used the crap out of it, but we eventually went back to DSL cause it is guite a bit faster but the phones work pretty good to. we still use it alot on our 2nd computer which isn't connected to the DSL

Last edited by yearn; 11-24-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah. We just had our cable internet disconnected. So I'm looking for some alternatives. And since I have this lovely smartphone. And all this data time. I figure why not just use that.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped

Hey man, sorry I just looked at my bill and theres a 10 dollar a month for the unlimited internet sharing. thats why the usage has never been an issue but there is a fee.
Sorry for the bad information
Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I have the Smart Choice and it is fine.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan