PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tether using Linux?

Okay... so after both Vista and XP have puked on me, I've gone to Ubuntu 8.04

It shocks me that it fully supports my laptop out of the box (Toshiba Satellite X205) - even BLUETOOTH... (mind you, Toshiba's Bluetooth stack never worked even on Vista, which was its native OS)

But here's the deal. I *NEED* to be able to tether when I'm at work.

How can I make this happen?

I downloaded USB Modem but the manual is total crap and I have no idea how to set it up... and I don't know how to use Internet Sharing for BT PAN...

Can anyone help me? Please?

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png

Last edited by EtherealRemnant; 05-14-2008 at 02:45 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Re: Tether using Linux?

nevermind. SynCE with Ubuntu 8.04 is an EXTREMELY easy way to tether! Once you install the drivers, Ubuntu connects via Internet Sharing and its FAST!

ROCK ON!

(mods can close thread if they'd like)
Old 05-14-2008, 02:39 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

Check this out... fastest speed test I've ever gotten

Check out that ping!

And I'm sorry but I've never seen ANYONE upload that fast on Rev A!

Last edited by EtherealRemnant; 05-14-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (6800) 3.35 Stock ROM

xmentalx is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to xmentalx

not bad, you trumped my best speed test by a bit, very nice makes me want to try to tether with my ubuntu system
Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

Yeah its insane.

Dude I'm downloading a 151MB MP3 from a friend right now at a SUSTAINED 100KB/sec.

Keep in mind that the towers out here are only on a 1.5Mbps pipe right now... We're kinda jipped here.

Also, that speed test was on a Dallas server... which, while its near my HA... I'm in Denver, CO.

Its crazy... because everything that was broken on my laptop before works out of the box on this. Anyone that owns an X205 can tell you how incompatible they are with like everything... but Ubuntu grabbed my wireless and my bluetooth out of the box, sound works, my HDMI out works (now that I've enabled the nVidia drivers)... 8.04 is by far the best distro I've ever used. And oh my lord is it fast!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Thanks, I'd been waiting for a guinne pig to report , I gave up on linux a few years ago, b/c I don't want to be a programmer. I have 2 older portege's with the option for built in bt, but never wanted to mess with Toshiba's stack. Now I will definitely set one up for dual boot.

as a side note i'm looking into setting up a trixbox, can you dial a regular # from the laptop?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:18 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

I've not tried. Honestly, it was as simple as installing SynCE and connecting the device... it automatically connected after that.

http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu

Follow it to the point where it tell you to run "synce-pls" and after you run that, stop there.

I have a feeling if you follow the rest, you'll break tethering. Then once you connect the device, you'll see a plug with an exclamation point... but if you look at the phone, it looks like it thinks its connected to ActiveSync. Then disconnect it, start internet sharing on USB, then plug it back in... you'll see it get a connection to the device then the plug with the exclamation point will come back... but you'll be able to browse completely fine.

BTW... 19 minutes for 151.05MB = 7.95MB/min = 132.5KB/sec = 1056kbps!!!... and I was browsing at the same time.

EDIT: For the non-believers (because I know there will be), here's a testmy.net that not only confirms I'm using linux but confirms that I'm getting sustained download speeds (its a 12MB test file for download, 3MB for upload)

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 1066 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 12280 kB)
Download Speed is:: 130 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/05/14 - 1:29am
Bottom Line:: 19X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 7.88 sec
Tested from a 12280 kB file and took 94.362 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 24.39 % of your hosts average (spcsdns.net)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-ZHT6WX245
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008050509 Firefox/3.0b5 [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Upload Connection is:: 737 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 90 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/05/14 - 1:31am
Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 11.38 sec
Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 33.267 seconds to complete
Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 169.96 % faster than the average for host (spcsdns.net)
U-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-CJLXSOBET
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008050509 Firefox/3.0b5 [!]

Last edited by EtherealRemnant; 05-14-2008 at 03:31 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

WOW

Just got to work and it looks like Sprint FINALLY put more than one T1 line on the sites in Denver!

Check this out!

Last edited by EtherealRemnant; 05-14-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

nudicles is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
I've not tried. Honestly, it was as simple as installing SynCE and connecting the device... it automatically connected after that.

http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu

Follow it to the point where it tell you to run "synce-pls" and after you run that, stop there.

I have a feeling if you follow the rest, you'll break tethering. Then once you connect the device, you'll see a plug with an exclamation point... but if you look at the phone, it looks like it thinks its connected to ActiveSync. Then disconnect it, start internet sharing on USB, then plug it back in... you'll see it get a connection to the device then the plug with the exclamation point will come back... but you'll be able to browse completely fine.
Sorry for diggin up an old thread, but I'm trying to get this to work on ubuntu as well. I get the exclamation point like you said, but when I dsiconnect the device, start internet sharing, and reconnect the device, I don't get the exclamation point. It doesn't look like it recognizes the device when I plug it back in and Internet Sharing is enabled. When I disable Internet Sharing, it again recognizes the device and gives me the exlamation point.

Any other pointers? I wonder if it has to do with the new wm6.1 rom. Running a Sprint Touch.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Hero

Fordwrench is a n00b

And if you still didnt get it...here is is again

HOW-TO: HTC 6800/Mogul/Titan as USB Modem in Ubuntu/Debian
sudo -s
apt-get install subversion
svn co hxxp://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/usb-rndis-lite
cd usb-rndis-lite/
make
./clean.sh
make install
vim /etc/network/interfaces
add:
auto rndis0
iface rndis0 inet dhcp
/etc/init.d/networking restart
Plug in the phone via USB. On the phone go to programs/applications and select "Internet Sharing"
PC Connection:USB
Network Connection: Phone as Modem
Click "Connect"

Fordwrench

remember to change the xx to tt in the svn line.....
This post has been thanked 3 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan