PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Blue Tooth PAN through ICS

qweshtyawn ->

i can get a good USB connection through ICS, and surf the web with no prob.
when i disconnect and then flip it to Bluetooth PAN, the phone says -
'Device Setup finished. On the PC, connect Bluetooth PAN.'

What the heck does this mean.. i wanna use BT through ICS, so i can be cable free, but i don't know what that message is wanting me to do.
and the BT DUN Tether trick i was using with an earlier ROM, no longer is applicable with the ROM i have now.
(using no2Chem 5054 with sprint 3.35 radio)

Last edited by Nickles; 04-04-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2, Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

rallynavvie is a n00b
Re: Blue Tooth PAN through ICS

On my Sony Vaio I have to open up the BT control panel and connect to my phone once ICS on the Mogul is asking to connect the PC. I just made a shortcut on my desktop to connect the phone so I just have to double-click that to get it connected.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800

Half Decaf is becoming a great contributor

Amazing how well BT PAN works. I also added a shortcut, but I added the icon to quicklaunch, to help keep the desktop clear.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Decaf View Post
Amazing how well BT PAN works. I also added a shortcut, but I added the icon to quicklaunch, to help keep the desktop clear.
but what does that mean ? how do i make a 'shortcut'..
is this through a new dial-up networking connection or something?
the ICS BT PAN connection from the Phone works and connects, i just don't know what to do on my LAPTOP side of things, to initiate the connection.

Last edited by Nickles; 04-04-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The bluetooth stack on your laptop must also support the PAN profile. If it does, you should see an option like "Connect to a Personal Area Network" or something similar.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
The bluetooth stack on your laptop must also support the PAN profile. If it does, you should see an option like "Connect to a Personal Area Network" or something similar.
Here is what i'm doing. Windows XP
Start. Control Panel. Network Connections. Create new connection.
The wizard starts. I select 'Connect using a dial-up modem'.
it then finds the 'Modem-Bluetooth Modem(Com7)' entry.. and i pick it.
then i name the connection and enter #777 as the number etc.. etc..

how can i tell if it is using the PAN stack vs. another type of BT stack ?
do i need to be setting up this connection in another area besides what i am doing above ?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickles View Post
Here is what i'm doing. Windows XP
Start. Control Panel. Network Connections. Create new connection.
The wizard starts. I select 'Connect using a dial-up modem'.
it then finds the 'Modem-Bluetooth Modem(Com7)' entry.. and i pick it.
then i name the connection and enter #777 as the number etc.. etc..
Eliminate all of the above. ICS doesn't require you to use the phone as a dial up modem. It networks the two and then shares the internet connection among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickles View Post
how can i tell if it is using the PAN stack vs. another type of BT stack ?
do i need to be setting up this connection in another area besides what i am doing above ?
Do you have a bluetooth tray icon? If so, try right clicking on that, then look for something like "Connect to a Personal Area Network."

If you don't have an icon in your system tray, go exploring for whatever bluetooth manager software your computer is using. There should be an option somewhere to connect to a PAN.

You can also try updating your bluetooth stack with the latest from Broadcom (previously Widcomm) or MS. I think you can get the broadcom stack here:

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Blu...-Solutions#s36

Gotta go. If you have any more questions I'll try and check back later.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post

You can also try updating your bluetooth stack with the latest from Broadcom (previously Widcomm) or MS. I think you can get the broadcom stack here:

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Blu...-Solutions#s36
Well, i'm done. i can't actually do this through my IBM Thinkpad. BT PAN is not part of the stack. I actually un-installed the IBM BT driver package, so i could just use the core Windows XP device drivers for it.. which actually ended up working - inasmuch as it gave me the option for a PAN connection.. and i could actually CONNECT to it (at 1mbps) ! but it wouldn't tranfer any data.
and worst of all, doing it this way, it removed all other BT services from my laptop (Audio, handsfree, obex etc...).. so essentially i had a completely empty BT connection.

I tried downloading the Toshiba BT stack, which others have reported to be a good workaround but i couldn't get that installed either. there is some Thinkpad hack to enable it, that i just simply couldn't find.
so i went back to the original IBM Thinkpad BT installation, and am back to where I was.. oh well. at least i can use ICS via USB.

and since my BT radio is an internal compenent of the thinkpad, i can't install the official Broadcom stack either. (see attachment)

So i just wanted to thank you bedoig for at least pointing me in the right direction. i learned something along the way, and hopefully this will help someone else somehow, as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Picture.jpg (16.2 KB, 24 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Nickles; 04-05-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2, Epic 4G

rallynavvie is a n00b

I can't believe IBM would cripple their BT adapter like that though. I mean I use a BT access point instead of wireless router at home so a ThinkPad would be out of the question for me to upgrade to then? Seems a little preposterous.

I think I'm going to contact IBM sales and ask them if their BT works with BT access points and then constantly turn them down everytime they say 'no' or 'I don't know'.

BTW I did have to first synch both devices before setting up the PAN. I couldn't get mine to work until my laptop had been added to my phone and vice versa. I also love the ability to beam things back and forth between my phone and lapper. Please say you can at least beam things with your ThinkPad?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallynavvie View Post
I also love the ability to beam things back and forth between my phone and lapper. Please say you can at least beam things with your ThinkPad?
yes, with my stock VZW rom, i was beaming constantly between laptop and PPC.
but when i upgraded the radio and rom, beam wasn't working.
this was actually a known issue, until Tiermann's genius provided a fix..
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...737#post242737

so yes, i am now happily beaming away... just no PAN, which kinda sux but no biggie.. USB ICS is faster anyway...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan