PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
MSU's Avatar
MSU
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: VX6800
Carrier: Verizon
Location: MidWest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24
Reputation: 5
MSU is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shutting off Data Connection

I've done a search for this and just don't see it.

What I'm looking for is a way to shut off my vx6800 from connection to the verizon data connection all the time. I got billed a nice data charge this past month and I know I only connected once by accident. (that was myself doing it, so I was aware)

I guess what I'm asking/or want is a way to shut it off and on. Pretty much like the wifi.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

It has wm6.0 on it if that matters.

Last edited by MSU; 03-25-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
scheel78's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Evotastic
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Wisconsin Rapids
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,045
Reputation: 350
scheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

Mine used to connect periodically when I didn't want it to. I went into settings/connections/manage existing connections. From there change your connection number to #000. Whenever your phone tries to make a data connection you will get a screen that says failed connection or something like that. If you ever want to use the data connection just put the original numbers back in.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:41 PM
dearls's Avatar
dearls
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

Ok but I do believe he as well as myself are looking for a less BS alternative to this like he said just a simple turn on/off button or app.....
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
jamesus's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,345
Reputation: 556
jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheel78 View Post
Mine used to connect periodically when I didn't want it to. I went into settings/connections/manage existing connections. From there change your connection number to #000. Whenever your phone tries to make a data connection you will get a screen that says failed connection or something like that. If you ever want to use the data connection just put the original numbers back in.
As far as I know this is the best way. Otherwise, you can open the comm manager to disconnect if it connects.
__________________
Device History: PPC 6800 (Mogul) < PPC 6700 < PPC 6600 < iPAQ 2200 Series < Palm 505 < Pen & Paper





A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
mecreyes's Avatar
N00b
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC P4000
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Location: I wish it was Tofino
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36
Reputation: 19
mecreyes is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

I feel your pain. I do not have a solution in terms of a software "switch".

But I do use this little trick that prevents unnecessary connections. All you have to do is set up a password for your CDMA connection, then when your phone wants to connect it will prompt you for your password. I left all the fields blank, so that all you have to choose is "OK" to connect or "Cancel" to dismiss the request. It will not connect until you make a choice. To do so, follow these steps:

Start
Settings
Connections Tab - Connections
select "Manage Existing Connections"
Select your Data connection (it has number #777) - Then hit EDIT
Click Next past the screen "enter a name for the connection"
Click Next past the screen "Enter the number exactly as it should be....."
You will now come to the screen to set a User name and password.
*Leave all fields Blank" - (or fill them in if you want to, I prefer blank)
Click Finish - You are Done!!

Now whenever your phone seeks to make a connection it will prompt you for your username and password. Assuming you have left/set the fields blank, then all you have to do is make the choice between "OK" to connect, or "Cancel" to dismiss
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
jamesus's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,345
Reputation: 556
jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecreyes View Post
I feel your pain. I do not have a solution in terms of a software "switch".

But I do use this little trick that prevents unnecessary connections. All you have to do is set up a password for your CDMA connection, then when your phone wants to connect it will prompt you for your password. I left all the fields blank, so that all you have to choose is "OK" to connect or "Cancel" to dismiss the request. It will not connect until you make a choice. To do so, follow these steps:

Start
Settings
Connections Tab - Connections
select "Manage Existing Connections"
Select your Data connection (it has number #777) - Then hit EDIT
Click Next past the screen "enter a name for the connection"
Click Next past the screen "Enter the number exactly as it should be....."
You will now come to the screen to set a User name and password.
*Leave all fields Blank" - (or fill them in if you want to, I prefer blank)
Click Finish - You are Done!!

Now whenever your phone seeks to make a connection it will prompt you for your username and password. Assuming you have left/set the fields blank, then all you have to do is make the choice between "OK" to connect, or "Cancel" to dismiss
Now that is a cool idea...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 PM
phunzoid's Avatar
N00b
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Sugar Land, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28
Reputation: 0
phunzoid is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

i also make sure i have Activesync set to only sync "Manually"....otherwise it was keeping data connection active all the time

i also like the following registry tweak:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

24-This edit allows you to see the duration of your Vision connection along with a button to disconnect it.
You see it in the bubble that is displayed when you tap the Vision icon.

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click ControlPanel
Click Phone
[at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'
Click the bottom menu 'edit'
Select new dword value

Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).
Select the 'hexidecimal' button.
Type 10
Click ok.
You should now see in the 'name/data' section:

Flags2 16 (0x00010)

When done, reset the device.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Bookman375's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: VX6800
Carrier: Verizon
Location: Goodells, MI
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15
Reputation: 0
Bookman375 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

I don't understand the initial post. Verizon would not let me buy my VX6800 without making me buy a data plan that featured unlimited data. Are some of you on grandfathered old plans, or was I misinformed?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 PM
jamesus's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,345
Reputation: 556
jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman375 View Post
I don't understand the initial post. Verizon would not let me buy my VX6800 without making me buy a data plan that featured unlimited data. Are some of you on grandfathered old plans, or was I misinformed?
That sounds sort of fishy, but since I am not a Verizon person, I won't be the best person to answer that.

You could try calling a different Verizon store or try "purchasing" it from the website and see what options you have...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
MSU's Avatar
MSU
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: VX6800
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter
Location: MidWest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24
Reputation: 5
MSU is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Shutting off Data Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman375 View Post
I don't understand the initial post. Verizon would not let me buy my VX6800 without making me buy a data plan that featured unlimited data. Are some of you on grandfathered old plans, or was I misinformed?
Misinformed I do beleive. When I got this phone, I had been looking at it for since it came out, but just didn't want to drop the coin. Found out that I got 15% off plus everything else so I took the dive and got it for $230 out the door. I just kept my plan that I was on with no data and just txt package. I think you should give them a call.

I want the data package, but it isn't in my cards for right now. I do however use the wifi at home or at hotspots.

I thought I did the username/pw spill, but must not had done it right. I wonder if Active sync has been the devil? Anywho, this is what I did. Called verizon, *****ed, got credit for data charges, then had them shut off the data connection. Simple
When I need it, I will call them and change my plan.

I have not gotten into reg_editing yet.

Thanks for all your info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com