PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Shutting off Data Connection (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=22322)

MSU 03-25-2008 04:42 PM

Shutting off Data Connection

I've done a search for this and just don't see it.

What I'm looking for is a way to shut off my vx6800 from connection to the verizon data connection all the time. I got billed a nice data charge this past month and I know I only connected once by accident. (that was myself doing it, so I was aware)

I guess what I'm asking/or want is a way to shut it off and on. Pretty much like the wifi.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

It has wm6.0 on it if that matters.

scheel78 03-25-2008 04:51 PM

Re: Shutting off Data Connection

Mine used to connect periodically when I didn't want it to. I went into settings/connections/manage existing connections. From there change your connection number to #000. Whenever your phone tries to make a data connection you will get a screen that says failed connection or something like that. If you ever want to use the data connection just put the original numbers back in.

dearls 03-25-2008 05:41 PM

Ok but I do believe he as well as myself are looking for a less BS alternative to this like he said just a simple turn on/off button or app.....

jamesus 03-25-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheel78 (Post 229854)
Mine used to connect periodically when I didn't want it to. I went into settings/connections/manage existing connections. From there change your connection number to #000. Whenever your phone tries to make a data connection you will get a screen that says failed connection or something like that. If you ever want to use the data connection just put the original numbers back in.

As far as I know this is the best way. Otherwise, you can open the comm manager to disconnect if it connects.

mecreyes 03-25-2008 07:09 PM

I feel your pain. I do not have a solution in terms of a software "switch".

But I do use this little trick that prevents unnecessary connections. All you have to do is set up a password for your CDMA connection, then when your phone wants to connect it will prompt you for your password. I left all the fields blank, so that all you have to choose is "OK" to connect or "Cancel" to dismiss the request. It will not connect until you make a choice. To do so, follow these steps:

Start
Settings
Connections Tab - Connections
select "Manage Existing Connections"
Select your Data connection (it has number #777) - Then hit EDIT
Click Next past the screen "enter a name for the connection"
Click Next past the screen "Enter the number exactly as it should be....."
You will now come to the screen to set a User name and password.
*Leave all fields Blank" - (or fill them in if you want to, I prefer blank)
Click Finish - You are Done!!

Now whenever your phone seeks to make a connection it will prompt you for your username and password. Assuming you have left/set the fields blank, then all you have to do is make the choice between "OK" to connect, or "Cancel" to dismiss

jamesus 03-25-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mecreyes (Post 229991)
I feel your pain. I do not have a solution in terms of a software "switch".

But I do use this little trick that prevents unnecessary connections. All you have to do is set up a password for your CDMA connection, then when your phone wants to connect it will prompt you for your password. I left all the fields blank, so that all you have to choose is "OK" to connect or "Cancel" to dismiss the request. It will not connect until you make a choice. To do so, follow these steps:

Start
Settings
Connections Tab - Connections
select "Manage Existing Connections"
Select your Data connection (it has number #777) - Then hit EDIT
Click Next past the screen "enter a name for the connection"
Click Next past the screen "Enter the number exactly as it should be....."
You will now come to the screen to set a User name and password.
*Leave all fields Blank" - (or fill them in if you want to, I prefer blank)
Click Finish - You are Done!!

Now whenever your phone seeks to make a connection it will prompt you for your username and password. Assuming you have left/set the fields blank, then all you have to do is make the choice between "OK" to connect, or "Cancel" to dismiss

Now that is a cool idea...

phunzoid 03-25-2008 08:02 PM

i also make sure i have Activesync set to only sync "Manually"....otherwise it was keeping data connection active all the time

i also like the following registry tweak:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

24-This edit allows you to see the duration of your Vision connection along with a button to disconnect it.
You see it in the bubble that is displayed when you tap the Vision icon.

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click ControlPanel
Click Phone
[at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'
Click the bottom menu 'edit'
Select new dword value

Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).
Select the 'hexidecimal' button.
Type 10
Click ok.
You should now see in the 'name/data' section:

Flags2 16 (0x00010)

When done, reset the device.

Bookman375 03-25-2008 10:49 PM

I don't understand the initial post. Verizon would not let me buy my VX6800 without making me buy a data plan that featured unlimited data. Are some of you on grandfathered old plans, or was I misinformed?

jamesus 03-25-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman375 (Post 230208)
I don't understand the initial post. Verizon would not let me buy my VX6800 without making me buy a data plan that featured unlimited data. Are some of you on grandfathered old plans, or was I misinformed?

That sounds sort of fishy, but since I am not a Verizon person, I won't be the best person to answer that.

You could try calling a different Verizon store or try "purchasing" it from the website and see what options you have...

MSU 03-26-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman375 (Post 230208)

Misinformed I do beleive. When I got this phone, I had been looking at it for since it came out, but just didn't want to drop the coin. Found out that I got 15% off plus everything else so I took the dive and got it for $230 out the door. I just kept my plan that I was on with no data and just txt package. I think you should give them a call.

I want the data package, but it isn't in my cards for right now. I do however use the wifi at home or at hotspots.

I thought I did the username/pw spill, but must not had done it right. I wonder if Active sync has been the devil? Anywho, this is what I did. Called verizon, *****ed, got credit for data charges, then had them shut off the data connection. Simple
When I need it, I will call them and change my plan.

I have not gotten into reg_editing yet.

Thanks for all your info.