PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Dell Axim X5, Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

kchrist is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Deleting #777 connection?

Is there way to delete the HTC_CM_Guardian located in \windows. It has file permissions of read only, System, and Rom. If you try to change them they get set back, if you try to delete it you get “HTC_CM_Guardian is in ROM memory! You cannot delete it”.
If you do not pay for EVDO, if you get rid of this file you are able to remove the #777 connection, and not have to worry about it connecting to sprint and billing you (at least this is what worked in the last rom version).

If there is no way to remove the file, is there a way to prevent it from installing after a Hard reboot?

rom 3.35.651.2, new from HTC 3-10-2008 http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=75&act=sd
http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/s...oads/index.jsp Select Windows Mobile (CE)
Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

bedub is just getting started
Re: Deleting #777 connection?

Originally Posted by Primenall http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=158366

HTC_CM_Guardian.exe sets your internet settings back to Sprints settings constantly. It starts everytime the Touch starts.

I couldn't find the HTC_CM_Guardian.lnk startup link in the \windows\startup folder on my Touch as it is on the Mogul so the Touch is starting the
HTC_CM_Guardian.exe from somewhere else, upon startup.

So since I couldn't stop it from starting I had to overwrite it with a inert file.

We are first going to copy the original HTC_CM_Guardian.exe file from \device\windows to a safe place for future use if ever needed. If you ever have trouble just copy the original back to \device\windows and soft reset or just execute it from wherever you saved it.

Next we are going to take a small inert file on our device and rename it to HTC_CM_Guardian.exe and then move it to the \device\windows folder on our touch and confirm overwrite (use Resco, Total Commander or similar to overwrite) so the real HTC_cm_guardian won't start.

Soft reset

Below is an attachment from Primenall....

He included a "fake" HTC_CM_Guardian file to put on your phone in the windows file, it's just the PPST.dll file from Getspc renamed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTC_CM_Guardian.zip (70.6 KB, 24 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by bedub; 03-13-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kchrist is a n00b

Thanks, but sadly that didn’t work. With the new Mogul rom, you can’t do anything to that file; any changes that you make just get put back. You can make a copy of the file but you can’t delete it or copy the fake file over it.

In the old rom the file was in the \windows\startup. Now it has been moved to \windows. No idea where it starts from. I’ve search the registry many times to no avail.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kchrist is a n00b

After reading more, and trying with Resco Explorer 2007. IT WORKED!=D>
So I copied the fake HTC_CM_Guardian to a folder on the device, opened Resco Explorer 2007, did a Move To, it asked if I wanted to overwrite it, I said yes and it is Gone. Thanks for the Help. It was the old version of Explorer I was using I guess.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21113
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=377171
Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

vancchris is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to vancchris Send a message via Yahoo to vancchris

forgive me for asking but why would you want to do this?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kchrist is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancchris View Post
forgive me for asking but why would you want to do this?
I don’t have a Data plan, and if you hit the IE button or have another program that tries to get online, it will automatically start to dial the #777. So if you are able to get rid of the connection (the connection I’m talking about is in Start, Settings, Connections, Connections, Manage existing connections), then nothing can get online. If I ever get a data plan, then I can add the #777 connection back in. With the HTC_CM_Guardian, if you delete the connection it gets added back again.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan