PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

djfujiyama is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this normal? Battery drops to 30% after < 4 hours

The battery life on my mogul seems REALLY short. I had it plugged in overnight and took it off the charger at 9:30am. Made a 20 minute phone call and sent a few text messages out over the next few hours. Other than that, it was in standby the rest of the time. Bluetooth radio was on the whole time.

By 1:15p (less than 4 hours later), battery had dropped to 30%. This seems ridiculously fast. My 6700 did the same thing although i had it over a year when it started to do this. Could it be from a defective car charger or something?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
I've had those days. Lately my battery life's been a great deal better due to a few changes I've made (try CodyPPC's performance and battery hacks, for instance), but even then sometimes it's randomly bad. It's been a real liability at times. I would recommend turning off things like push e-mail and other elements that constantly access the internet.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

matthewdavisnelson is a n00b
Exclamation Turn off communication mediums

From what I have read, leaving Bluetooth communication active — or, for that matter, any of the other wireless communication mediums, such as WiFi — depletes the battery at a very rapid pace. If you are not actively utilizing Bluetooth and/or WiFi connectivity, then it is recommended that you temporarily deactivate them in order to conserve battery power.

Matt
ROM Version 2.17.651.0
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

hAvAAck is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to hAvAAck
what ROM/radio are you using? When I switched up to a custom ROM and radio 1.4 my battery increased to lasting 2+ days, whereas before I was in the same situation as you.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ahh. I'm using 2.08.651.4 with default radio. The weird thing was that when i first got it, the battery life was great. It would last forever. But i can't get it to last half a workday now.

I'm worried it might be my car charger since i started getting the problem on my 6700 around the time i bought that charger on ebay. It was one of those cheap $2 ebay chargers. Seems to work ok otherwise. When i got my 6800 the battery life went to crap after a month. Can car chargers negatively impact battery life?

I'm leaning towards reflashing to the new ROM but i wanted to wait til the RevA in january since it's such a PITA to reinstall all software and reconfigure all my preferences. But SPB Mobile Shell is giving me crap anyway so i might just upgrade now and then do it again in january.

Is there a thread here that breaks down all the different custom ROMs and compares them? If not, should i install the HTC 2.17 or one of the custom ones?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Wipeout is a n00b
I had great success turning off the IR and using the codyppc battery tweaks. I've also tweaked my downloading settings for email and tend to turn data off if I know I'm in a spotty EV-DO area for most of the day.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep
i got better battery life going from 2.09 to 2.17.

Turn off IR beam
WIFI
Anything that accesses the net. (weather freaks, etc)

to see if problem still exists
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah i guess i'll upgrade to 2.17 and do a factory reset and see if battery life is close to what it was when it was new (before installing stuff). That should tell me if the problem is software or hardware.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
Do the battery registry hacks and disable IR too and that should maximize your run time between charges. You might check your signal too as a weak signal causes your radio to boost its power output to compensate and thus drains your battery faster.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Definitely turn off Beams, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi when you're not using them.

Also, along with an update to 2.17/1.47.01/PRL60611, I changed my e-mail syncs (1 Exchange, 1 IMAP4, and 1 Live) to only check every 30 minutes instead of instant.

For 4 days in a row, I am able to unplug at 8:00am and still be in the 80-90% range at 5:00PM after a few 5 minute calls and a dozen or so text messages.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan