PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Apache PPC-6700
Carrier: Sprint

BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY
Mini Review of HTC titan Running WM5

HTC Titan Running WM5
( This is my First time writing a review so bare with me. I usually only write tutorials)
With all the crap that wm6 brings to the mogul like the memory problem i deiced with sampson releasing the wm5 telus nbh file i would flash it and give it a shoot. The only real problem i have with my mogul is the ram. I don't use bluetooth much so i haven't tested bluetooth with the wm5 rom but will if someone wants me to. i am running Radio version 1.40 from the alltel rom.
Proof that it is wm5 (if anyone didn't believe)

Ram On WM5
On my device the only things i run on the today screen are im+ plugin and Pocket plus 4. With the wm5 rom i had about 28-29 free with just pocket plus 4. But with wm5 being so ugly compared to wm6 i installed my old favorite wisbar and the vista skin. with that i have about 26-27 mb free ram.

(this is with active sync running with wisbar and pocket plus on today screen)

(activesync closed)
so with it all closed and running oxios close app i get about 27.
RAM leak.
I have not seen any ram leak at all with wm5 or at least any that is noticable. i am always able to get right around with what i start with.

With this rom i have had no problems at all. screen switching from portrait to landscape is very quick due to no sliding sounds.

i have only the basic apps i use daily installed on my device. none of the stuff that is extra which looks cool or makes it easier. i haven't installed htc action screen yet or the end key application both which i use on wm6 with UTCG 2.2. 2 rom. I am only running what i need and no more and i have seen that the phone is able to run alot of programs at once and not have a problem.

Another Note:
i believe that oxios does mess up things with the rom. If i do the close app one it doesn't make the phone run correct as it will close apps when it shouldnt. but if i don't run it ever it works fine so maybe people should stay away from this app. it doesn't do alot with this rom all i have seen is low 1 mb gains to about half a mb thats all.

Last edited by BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY; 11-06-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Programs i have installed:

I plan to run this rom all this week unless a new rom that catchs my eye comes out so i will add to this daily or by the end of the week on or the other.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Destructor is a n00b
How easy was it for you to go 'back' to WM5? I've been debating on doing this on my phone, and I'm curious as to how well it works and such.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructor View Post
How easy was it for you to go 'back' to WM5? I've been debating on doing this on my phone, and I'm curious as to how well it works and such.
its real easy all you have to do is download sampsons rev 01 nbh file and the ruu flashing folder and rename sampsons file to RUU_signed.nbh and run the upgrade utility.

rom:
ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan/Users/sampson/revision%2001
flash tool:
http://rapidshare.com/files/67464334..._Tool.rar.html
Old 11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Well... i finally did it, i "upgraded" to wm5, and man, its sooo smooth

it has all the features of wm6 except the newer task bar. So far the only thing missing in that sampson rom is wmoffice, but im not to worried as i know thats out there somewhere (anyone got links)

im going to stay tuned on this thread too, and post as my usage increases, and thanks big mat for finally pushing me over the edge

ps-i used a program called ppcpimbackup, it saves all appointments, events, text messages, and contacts to a back up that can easily be restored, if not for it, i would never have "upgraded"

EDIT* I forgot, most importantly screen orientation switching has NEVER been faster for me, and i start up with around 30mbs of ram, and usually sits around 27-28 when nothing is running.

FACE IT PEOPLE! THIS PHONE WAS MADE FOR WM5!

Last edited by gobmonster; 11-04-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

bushd is a n00b
Is there any way possible to switch to the alltel WM5 for Mogul and install sprint radio over that in the rom?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Well, the only reason I stay away from WM5 is that I really use my PPC's as media players, so stereo bluetooth (a2dp) is VERY important to me.
This alone was the main reason I was waiting for WM6... sure, the later AKU's of WM5 had support for stereo headsets, but there was a bug in the compression scheme that created this awful hissing noise on certain devices.

If there was a way to take WM6's A2DP support, I'd be all over this, but as far as I'm concerned, wm5 is missing some crucial features for me.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

havieri23 is just getting started
is there a way to get opera mini to work on wm5. installed a java cab, but still can't get it working right.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
A2DP is present on WM5 Sampsons ROM. No problem there....
Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

TraderStav is a n00b
Anyone else noticing some strange freeze ups of the Today screen? It seems everytime I go into settings -> Today and try to get back to the main screen I have to do a soft reset.

edit: scratch that, anytime I go into ANY settings screen I click OK to exit out and the soft keyboard pops up, this is when it goes downhill.

Last edited by TraderStav; 11-06-2007 at 03:23 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan