PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker

psywzrd is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
why no 2.08 ROM?

I understand that HTC never made the 2.08 ROM available for download but I'm trying to figure out why it can't be extracted from a Mogul that's still at 2.08 (like mine was before I made the dumb decision to upgrade to 2.16). With all of the custom ROMs and hacks available, I would think that making the 2.08 ROM available as a download would be a piece of cake for the bright minds who work on these things, but it must be more complicated than that. Please don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to criticize anyone or question anyone's knowledge. I'm just trying to understand the technical reasons behing the lack of an available 2.08 ROM.

If someone can please explain it to me in layman's terms, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm desperate for 2.08 because I have a good Sprite backup of my Mogul at that ROM, and I'd like to do a restore. Flashing to 2.09 is a last resort since it would require installing everything from scratch and I just went through that with the 2.16 upgrade (plus I'm going to have to do it again when/if the new ROM comes out in 200.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

livejazz is becoming a great contributor
I have a Mogul never used in the box at my house. I can't remember if I got it after the first upgrade (2.09), or not. I will start it up and soft reset before it loads the extras. If it has the 2.08 I will I will do a full backup (I use SPB) and report back to this forum for instructions from one of you smart people that know what to do with it.

matt
Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

psywzrd is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by livejazz View Post
I have a Mogul never used in the box at my house. I can't remember if I got it after the first upgrade (2.09), or not. I will start it up and soft reset before it loads the extras. If it has the 2.08 I will I will do a full backup (I use SPB) and report back to this forum for instructions from one of you smart people that know what to do with it.

matt
That's very nice of you to offer but I'm pretty sure it's been done before and nothing ever came of it. Like I said, maybe it's way more complicated than I think it is (God knows I don't have the first clue about this stuff) but I would love to have that ROM. Heck, I even went to my local Sprint store and had them looking at all of their Moguls for one with 2.08 on it (no luck of course).
Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Funny. Well, I will do it, anyhow. Does anyone remember if the first (2.09) did anything other than add the music store? I can't remember and too lazy to go back and look. Maybe that ROM is the answer to all of this. I just can't remember!

matt
Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
I think the only announced feature of the 2.09 ROM was to enable the Sprint Music store and that is the reason why ROM makers have not worried much about it. I know there was an attempt at extracting it, but don't know what came out of it.

It's all speculation on my side though...

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
I believe that not 100% can be extracted by dumping from a working phone. I think you can obtain the OS dump and then place it back into a donor .nb (like 2.09) but this would not take you back to the 2.08 kernel (if it was different from 2.09)

there were other changes 2.08->2.09 - for example, palringo worked on 2.08 fine, but is choppy on 2.09. the keyboard issue was also not present in 2.08.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post
I believe that not 100% can be extracted by dumping from a working phone. I think you can obtain the OS dump and then place it back into a donor .nb (like 2.09) but this would not take you back to the 2.08 kernel (if it was different from 2.09)

there were other changes 2.08->2.09 - for example, palringo worked on 2.08 fine, but is choppy on 2.09. the keyboard issue was also not present in 2.08.
Ohhh true... I how could I have forgotten the keyboard issue!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post

Oh, Yeah ....... now I remember! I will save it just in case anyone can use it. If you guys are looking then I guess we got some of the right people's attention. If anyone has advice on a better way, let me know and, maybe, I can send the phone. I might just mess it up.

matt
Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
dont we already have a dump of a 2.08 rom? i thought we got this long ago.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Sounds, to me, like the 2.08 is the gem we should be building from (I say we as if I could ever have something to do with "building" ......ha!)

matt

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan