PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What features would you like on your next PDA phone - HTC and SPrint moguls bites

After having the mogul for 4 months now, and working with other phones for my clients such as Treos, Blackjacks, Qs, iPhones and occasionally I get a client who gets good stuff from overseas.

I'm not looking for technology that doesn't exist - I'm comparing features of phones that you can buy right now.

Features I'd like -
  1. Working Bluetooth - just about any PDA phone except the mogul has this
  2. Working roaming - just about any PDA phone except the mogul has this
  3. Better screen technology - the iPHone is twice the resolution of the mogul - battery lasts longer even with the better screen - Eten and Imate also have
  4. VGA screens in slim units - FOUR times the resolution of the mogul.
  5. Better battery performance - the iphone has a faster processor, better display and yet the battery life is significantly better
  6. Better processor performance - the iphone has a much faster processor and video acceleration - yet the battery last longer and the unit is thinner than the mogul
  7. THINNER - most people look at my latest sprint phone and still say it is a brick compared to the iPhone
  8. USB 2.0 - correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we been using USB 2.0 since around the turn of the century?
  9. Full GPS - not assisted - not disabled but full GPS - other units have it built in - no subscription fee - no call required - full GPS capabilities
  10. A dialpad that stays up after you dial a number - sure, dialing my friends won't require that feature - but this is a business phone isn't it? Not many companies don't have IVR for directing calls
  11. More memory – it is cheap and no, it doesn’t have to drain the battery – so many things people said couldn’t be done without killing the battery, the
  12. iPhone somehow miraculously does without defying the laws of God and man.
  13. Some sort of slider control for the volume – should have tactile functionality

Software I’d like included -
  1. LiveSearch with voice recognition - it is available and free for download - not sure why Sprint isn't including the latest version
  2. Adobe FLASH - free for download - not sure what went wrong with this firmware version
  3. Office Mobile 6.1 - if you can distribute 6.0 on the phone why not use the current version 6.1 - no fee for the latest verison
  4. Flashlight - there are a few freeware flashlight apps - you insist on bulking up the phone by including a camera - people are much more impressed when I show them the flashlight app which turns the flash into a camera - virtually no significant battery drain and very handy to have a flashlight with you at all times - why not include it
  5. Other phones include Voice Command - why not included it - not a must but
  6. I can't imagine getting a phone without some full featured voice command program
  7. Sprint TV - it is free - why not include it.

Software I don’t want included/ optional –
  1. Crapware – audibles, buy it now, buy sprint crap software.

Future Features I'd like that should be available soon
  1. BT 2.1 - similar to BT 2.0 but with much better battery drain than 2.0
  2. Better battery technology - Lithium Iron is already here, silver based batteries are coming out as well, nanotube isn't that far away
  3. Hybrid/multiband technology like the new Blackberry – should be able to travel overseas and user your business phone.

For anyone that thinks I’m a mac fanboy – clearly I’m not or I’d own the iPhone – it doesn’t do full exchange sync so it is useless to me. Clearly however their hardware is a full two years ahead of the HTC crap Sprint is trying to sell. The ETEN and I-Mate are significantly more advanced than the mogul but most people in the US are already familiar with the iPhone as a point of reference. HTC does make more advanced phones but they are inbetween pda phones and laptops in size - I want SMALL and THIN but with a fantastic display.

I have no issue paying $500+ bucks for a phone that uses current technology and WORKS WELL. This phone was antiquated when it was released but the incredible lack of testing makes it an expensive paperweight.

Last edited by boe; 10-28-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to codyppc
that phone sounds cool. i want one. lol jk

i want stubility first and then full features. gps and wifi would be cool, but working bt first.

no crapware. programs we can always add. the things like bt we cant fix. gps, wifi, ect.

i think the hardware is the key. software is easy.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:33 PM
N00b

landale is just getting started
I have a Mogul and have been pretty happy with it although I wouldn't mind some of the things you requested in the future on my next device such as USB 2.0, more memory and thinner design. It's unfair though to compare a 3G CDMA device to a 2G GSM one (like the iphone) in regards to battery life. CDMA will always lose there due to how the technology works so it's not really anything that the Mogul does wrong. The old Cingular 8125 which was the 2G version of the 8525 got 5 hours of talk time with an 1100mah battery. The Mogul is rated at 4 hours with a 1500mah battery. This is why Apple argued they made the right call dropping 3G as the battery life would be much better thus yielding a thinner design.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Threadstarter

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Time to think outside the box about battery consumption - if something is a problem - improve it - BT 2.1 is just that improvement for BT 2.0 - same transfer rate - but better battery consumption.

As far as CDMA, you can use the screen on the iPhone significantly more than the one on the Mogul - even if you turn off the wireless. CDMA may play a roll but that cleary isn't the case since if you turn wireless off it is more of an apples to a apples comparison although of course the iPhone has a much better screen.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Kaiser
Carrier: AT&T

bimmerd00d is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to bimmerd00d Send a message via MSN to bimmerd00d Send a message via Yahoo to bimmerd00d
I can't think of anything else I need that the mogul doesn't do already. Sure i'd like it to be a bit faster and better battery life.....but i'm coming from an Apache where it has some hindering features. (a2dp and batt life were my main issues). GPS is cool too
Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work
Faster, more memory, longer battery life. That's all I need.

BTW, it really sounds like the OP should just get an iPhone
Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Essentially a Mogul with typical generational improvements on size and screen resolution/quality.

Also things like GPS, BT, MMS, etc. should be much more stable.

Other than that, I want not much more than I have now. I would just like to see it all working and in a more modern package.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TardoPro
Carrier: Boost

yakky is a n00b
I'd like more memory and the screen to be flush with the face of the phone. Sure the iphone has more resolution but its that good for web browsing either. My battery life is fine, I charge everday in a cradle and it lasts a weekend if I need it to. Better BT sound quality would be a plus but I heard it is much improved in the leaked rom. Its quite usable in 2.17 anyway.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work
iPhone's battery life cannot be directly compared. 1. It has no 3G. 2. It is GSM. GSM gets SUBSTANTIALLY better battery life on all devices.

GPS, I cannot say, but is there a CDMA chipset that has GPS?

I would like to see some of those things too, but with the current state of purchasing in the US, I think it isn't going to happen. Especially not with CDMA. I don't like the carrier subsidy system. It makes everyone think a nice phone should be free.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Alltel

iceblue is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to iceblue Send a message via MSN to iceblue Send a message via Yahoo to iceblue
iPhone is crap. The battery last longer because there is no 3G. What good is a smart phone without EVDO/3G? There isn’t one! You can’t take the battery out of the iPhone it only lasts about a yr it costs 85$ to service plus a week almost of being without a phone! You can’t take the battery out to reset the phone. You can’t send SMS picture mail. It doesn’t have a keyboard so typing on screen for us who use the internet and txt msg the phone sucks! You can’t edit email attachments like a .doc or pdf like you can on WM on the fly. That’s huge for business just check your mail make adjustments and off it is job done. Not to mention you have to push like 20 buttons to do anything compared to WM maybe 10. whoopty do it has an 8gig drive in it we can just put a 32gig SD card in and be done with it. The phone cant brows flash on the web. Thin devices are to hard to hold onto the titan/mogul has enough meet to use and type on comfortable the others feel like there going to fall out of your hand. The iPhones camera blows no video support. MAC just tries to lure people in with fancy graphics. The phone can’t tether. The iPhones screen was specifically designed by them no one else has a screen like it this is the only thing the phone has going for it.

Ok my Titan. I can actually type on it I can view flash java pdf files edit docs on the fly I can tether my high speed EVDO I can run VOIP when on WIFI I can send SMS pictures the phone is more hackable. I can run the iPhone interface is i want I can just install flow touch and S2U2 and S2V. Just update the ROM have turn by turn GPS easily resetable device I can take the battery out. I have voice recognition software on it I can take videos. Picsel browser is allot like the iphone browser talk with slick. Have call firewall. Divix decoders. Pocket weather and much more. The only down to the Titan is the screen and the only phone with a good screen is the iPhone but he touch is a tad nicer with the glass cover. But the glass covers just make them more fragile.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan