PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Sellador is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS works, My Location does not?? Any ideas? *FIXED*

Thanks everyone for the information. So here's where I am. I understand what the PRL is, and I've done *228/2 pretty much as long as I've had a phone. Now I know how I would update my phone if I had a downloaded PRL, but what I still don't know is how I find out about specific PRLs or find new ones.

That is, Diji says he had an Alltel PRL and now has a Verizon one. I can look in my Device Information see my PRL number (in my case, 40056) but once I have that number, how do I know if it's an Alltel or Verizon one? And if it's not one I want, where do I go to find one that works better and gives me the location service?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon-Alltel
Threadstarter

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work

http://corolada.com/prl/

I gave you the link to get a verizon PRL in my other post.

40056 is definitely an Alltel PRL.

I'd recommend just checking the internet every few months for something new, but as far as finding details about what changes in new PRL's, usually you will be out of luck.

Alltel / Verizon
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC P6800
Carrier: USCC

jskoland is just getting started

First of all, great information on this page. I am having the same issue plus goofier things since the Alltel/ Verizon Merger. I have called their (Verizon) tech support and did the *228 option 2 but since the 18th of this month, some of my verizon numbers like *228 work but if I dial *611 or another dedicated verizon number I go straight to alltel and I have never been an alltel customer. I was with Verizon for a week before the switch and everything was ok but since the switch it is all messed up. I checked my PRL and it is 65061 and according to coralda.com/prl that prl is not listed but it looks like that one would be the next one in sequence under verizon hybrid. Can I download any of the other ones to try out and if it does not work, can I just put the old one back in?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work

yes that PRL definitely looks like a hybrid, that is very strange that you would receive that from *228, but I suppose anything is possible.

The good news is, that yes, you can install whatever PRL you like, and if it doesn't work out, you can dial *228 again and get your old PRL back. In fact, it should keep you from getting Alltel when you 611 all together. I'm thinking that you happened to be roaming on Alltel perhaps when you updated last time, that's how you got the 6xxxx version.

The 51099 PRL that I posted is working well, and must have been made since the merger, because I still have my SID set to Alltel, but it doesn't show me as roaming. I think the rest of you should be okay with it as well.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Sellador is a n00b

Digi, thanks for posting that PRL link before. I did see that, but I just wanted to learn more about it. The link you gave to Corolada is very helpful and gives me a way to have some idea what the purpose for a particular PRL is and why they're giving me the one they did. I appreciate your help here!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellador View Post
Digi, thanks for posting that PRL link before. I did see that, but I just wanted to learn more about it. The link you gave to Corolada is very helpful and gives me a way to have some idea what the purpose for a particular PRL is and why they're giving me the one they did. I appreciate your help here!

I get ya. Sometimes there are PRL discussions on Howard Forums and other message boards, that will describe the changes made in newer PRL's and announce newly released PRL's. I would just reccomend Google if you want to know more about a certain PRL. Googling 51099 PRL, or whatever number you want should bring some relevant info about it.

Corolada is a good quick way to see what the PRL is, but its not a good way to know about the newest ones, because the site is usually pretty slow to update.

I'm glad this thread has helped you, hopefully others too. A good friend of mine just got an Imagio last night in the mail, he came over to my place and we activated it, and his new plan. I thought for sure this would make him full blown Verizon customer, and would give him a Verizon plan, and he would get a Verizon PRL. To my surprise, all they did was add data to his Alltel plan, then when we activated the phone, sure enough, he still got the Alltel PRL. None of that makes any sense to me, but I'm thinking that Alltel plans with this and other Verizon phones might be more common than I thought.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I talked to Verizon about this yesterday and although it does not make total sense to me, maybe somebody could explain it. When I posted earlier I was getting Alltel when I would dial some specific Verizon numbers. I downloaded a different PRL ( the one posted above ) and although that fixed the certain Verizon numbers I could not get before when I would dial *228 I would get to US Cellular and could not update the phone. When talking to Verizon they told me that hybrid PRL I had in the beginning was probably the best PRL in my area. Even though I would not be on Verizon towers and getting Verizon service I would be getting the best service as far as phone calls from the other towers. That is the part I don't get. If I am paying Verizon for Verizon service, should I not be getting Verizon service. Where my home address is they told me a tower is like 6 miles away. I work 7 miles away and where I work they told me the Verizon tower was 1 mile away, must be the same tower. I never had these problems until Sunday after the change over from Alltel to Verizon, so something has got to be messed up. To make a long story short. I downloaded a hybrid PRL, updated my phone and now I no longer get the Extended Verizon network banner but I am right back to square one again when I started this.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskoland View Post
I talked to Verizon about this yesterday and although it does not make total sense to me, maybe somebody could explain it. When I posted earlier I was getting Alltel when I would dial some specific Verizon numbers. I downloaded a different PRL ( the one posted above ) and although that fixed the certain Verizon numbers I could not get before when I would dial *228 I would get to US Cellular and could not update the phone. When talking to Verizon they told me that hybrid PRL I had in the beginning was probably the best PRL in my area. Even though I would not be on Verizon towers and getting Verizon service I would be getting the best service as far as phone calls from the other towers. That is the part I don't get. If I am paying Verizon for Verizon service, should I not be getting Verizon service. Where my home address is they told me a tower is like 6 miles away. I work 7 miles away and where I work they told me the Verizon tower was 1 mile away, must be the same tower. I never had these problems until Sunday after the change over from Alltel to Verizon, so something has got to be messed up. To make a long story short. I downloaded a hybrid PRL, updated my phone and now I no longer get the Extended Verizon network banner but I am right back to square one again when I started this.
The hyrbrid PRL probably is the best PRL for you, its probably the best for any of us, as it should let us use all the Verizon and Alltel towers available. Problem is that it doesn't work with the my location feature as far as I can tell.

Sounds like in your area, native Verizon coverage is spotty and weak, thats why you are roaming onto other carriers towers. Sorry to say, but thats just the way things work. Yes you are paying Verizon, but they are paying someone else for the roaming agreement that lets you roam.

If you really want to get on the Verizon network, or if you need to *228, you can go into your phone settings and set the network to Home Only. This way, no matter what, you will stay on your home Verizon SID, and if its not available, you just won't get signal.

Last edited by digi; 10-21-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Make sense. thanks for the reply

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio