PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

daroga is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Internet Sharing on the Imagio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jal3223 View Post
you still have to pay to use the data. This is just a free way to tether rather than using verizons tethering software for 15 extra bucks a month. Also from what i understand this doesnt have a 5gb cap. so its truly unlimited.
So you can use this with the $30/mo data plan and have unlimited tethering? Does Verizon notice this and do something about it at all? I don't plan to use it much if at all, but it would be a neat option to have.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

Humpa is keeping up the good workHumpa is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to Humpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStyle View Post
Are you sure I only need those 2 files?
I installed that slot 6 cab and rebooted. Then did regedit and rebooted. That's it.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
So you can use this with the $30/mo data plan and have unlimited tethering? Does Verizon notice this and do something about it at all? I don't plan to use it much if at all, but it would be a neat option to have.
It is still 5gig (since that's the cap on the $29 pda internet).

I've not heard of anything negative happening to anyone from doing this or the Internet Connection Sharing work-around
Old 10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Imagio

KingStyle is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
I installed that slot 6 cab and rebooted. Then did regedit and rebooted. That's it.
Very odd, then you just go into Comm Mgr and start it? Anytime I do I get the Windows loading graphic there in the middle and nothing happens. I dont even see the settings for it.......
Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Imagio

KingStyle is a n00b

How about this, do I have to install it to my phone or can I install it to my storage card?

edit: Installed it to the phone this time and it works rather than the storage card.

Last edited by KingStyle; 10-12-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

vanegam1 is a n00b

I installed htc wifi router cab. u can google it. it gives u instructions on how to set ur wap connection. it doesn't automaticly set a shortcut though. so u just go to ur settings tab then all settings, then connections there you'll see wifi sharing. works great for me.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid/Imagio/Eris

Jal3223 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
It is still 5gig (since that's the cap on the $29 pda internet).

I've not heard of anything negative happening to anyone from doing this or the Internet Connection Sharing work-around
I have been using internet sharing for a long time. Sometimes i I happen to go a little over the 5gig mark but my bill is always the same. Unlike pda net, internet sharing does not register as tethering at all, it looks as though your surfing around the net with your handset. So unless things have changed recently, It is truly unlimited. I would still try not to go over to much just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by Jal3223; 10-13-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I have been using internet sharing for a long time. Sometimes i I happen to go a little over the 5gig mark but my bill is always the same. Unlike pda net, internet sharing does not register as tethering at all, it looks as though your surfing around the net with your handset. So unless things have changed recently, It is truly unlimited.
Doing "something" at the 5gig mark is sort of a new thing for VZW. So maybe you havent gone over 5gig recently or maybe they are not enforcing it for the smartphone package but only the tethering package. I think I'm mostly assuming that the 5gig enforcement was for any unlimited plan - perhaps it isn't.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid/Imagio/Eris

Jal3223 is just getting started

Yeah I think they are only enforcing the 5 gig just with the tethering at the moment. I have a friend that works with verizon, and he told me that the tethering is recorded separate from other data. He uses Verizons software to tether, and he said when he gets close to the 5 gig mark, he just unplugs from the cpu and continues to use the data on his phone. I showed him the Internet sharing software, and he says as long as it has those arrows on the signal icon that it is basically under the tethering radar. I still get nervous when I get close to the 5 gigs but this past month I was over almost a half a gig and my bill was still the same. So I don't know.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Yeah I think they are only enforcing the 5 gig just with the tethering at the moment. I have a friend that works with verizon, and he told me that the tethering is recorded separate from other data. He uses Verizons software to tether, and he said when he gets close to the 5 gig mark, he just unplugs from the cpu and continues to use the data on his phone. I showed him the Internet sharing software, and he says as long as it has those arrows on the signal icon that it is basically under the tethering radar. I still get nervous when I get close to the 5 gigs but this past month I was over almost a half a gig and my bill was still the same. So I don't know.
Excellent.
So it is probably like it always was. Just becareful about going over. There is probably a certain thing that causes a flag and human intervention (6gig? 10gig?). That is about the only way they can catch you tethering. If they manually go and look at the logs it is probably readily apparent if someone is tethering as opposed to using the phone's browser/whatever.

EDIT: I've always had tethering (free tethering) on every phone I've had for about 10yrs (starting with Sprint and using their PCS Vision, and then on to the V710 when i switched to VZW). I rarely use it, but it is something that when I need it, it is priceless.

Last edited by Humpa; 10-13-2009 at 02:30 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio