PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 PM
gryphon410

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Hero WiFi Hotspot for free or Evo WiFi Hotspot for $29.99?

So, I was going to buy an HTC Hero because I heard about the app that can turn it into a WiFi Hotspot and then it just uses your carrier's data plan. Then I found out the Evo was coming and had WiFi Broadcasting built in, 4G and up to 8 devices. So I waited for the final announcement and now I find out that to use that capability on the Evo it's going to cost me $29.99 a month.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong about the "free" part of taking the Hero and turning it into a WiFi hotspot. But if the only reason I'm interested in either phone is because of the WiFi hotspot capabilities just so I can get internet access to my Laptop and/or non-3G iPad when I'm somewhere without free internet, then what is your take on which to get? Does the method for getting WiFi broadcasting on the Hero allow you to get it for free? Does anyone see an issue with this?

And as for the Evo, is the $29.99 a contract plan or can you activate it one month and cancel it another?

Thanks for all the help and opinions on this one.

-Doug
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Hero WiFi Hotspot for free or Evo WiFi Hotspot for $29.99?

I am sure we will get free tethering once the phone is rooted, (the EVO that is).
Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

Munkee915 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The wifi tether for the hero requires root, its not built in stock. Technically this is "free" because its hacked and breaking sprints TOS. the Evos wifi hotspot capability is built in by sprint which is why they charge for the capability. But im sure if you wait for a root on the Evo it will be "free" as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 PM
gryphon410

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Ah, I figured that since Sprint released WiFi Tethering that is supported on the Evo, it meant any "rooting" would be futile (shows how much I know about modifying my phones). So what you're saying, then, is that it's more then likely we'll have a method (which breaks TOS, of course) for accessing the root that allows an app to broadcast the WiFi hotspot for free instead of through Sprint's built-in feature that will charge for the use?

If that's the case, I'm all for the Evo then. How long was it before the Hero was Jailbroken after it was released?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon410 View Post
Ah, I figured that since Sprint released WiFi Tethering that is supported on the Evo, it meant any "rooting" would be futile (shows how much I know about modifying my phones). So what you're saying, then, is that it's more then likely we'll have a method (which breaks TOS, of course) for accessing the root that allows an app to broadcast the WiFi hotspot for free instead of through Sprint's built-in feature that will charge for the use?

If that's the case, I'm all for the Evo then. How long was it before the Hero was Jailbroken after it was released?
It took a while. If i recall correctly, it took about 4 or 5 months.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
It took a while. If i recall correctly, it took about 4 or 5 months.
It actually only took about 2 months, maybe less.

The EVO will most likely be just as popular (if not more) than the Hero so I would expect a similar turn around.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Fresh 2 Death)

JirafaBo is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to JirafaBo

This was my same question. I assume the devs will have the root with days and the tethering is always one of the first things they work on.

Is there really any way to monitor if someone is tethering besides looking at data usage? and even that isn't 100% proof. Plus, now that they're charging this bull$hit $10 fee for "extra data" usage, they can't really use the amount of data as proof of tethering.

I can't believe Sprint is trying to pull all these extra fees crap. There went their 'simple' marketing campaign.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero