PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: WM 6.1
Carrier: Verizon

R32_rocky is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Keep VZW TP2 or swith to TMo and HD2????

I found a local Radio Shack that has the HD2 in stock, and they just dropped their price to match the WalMart $150 in store price. I am near 90% in favor of dumping VZW and my TP2 for TMo and the HD2. I am just worried about 3 things:

1) how good is the signal strength of T-Mobile compared to VZW in the Dallas area, and perhaps the Orange County area of SoCal? I got sick and tired of poor reception with AT&T with my BB Bold, but have not been too thrilled either with VZW signal strength and the speed of my TP2. Would it be any better with T-Mobile in the 2 areas I would mostly be in? *** I have heard that T-Mobile is supposedly working hard to strengthen and extend their network. Is that true too?

2) I have somewhat "large" fingers So the virtual keyboard on my TP2 is not as easy to use as the slide out keyboard. Would the HD2 virtual keyboard be much larger, and better spaced, than the TP2 seeing as the screen is huge? And would the landscape keyboard be nice and large? I have to ask, because every YouTube video review I have watched pretty much never shows the keyboard. They are more into showing the eye candy, Internet, and multimedia capabilities more than anything else. But I do miss the ability I used to have with the BB Bold, being able to tap keys with one hand. All too often, the TP2 sliding keyboard becomes a PITA

3) from all that I have seen so far, I am not too impressed with Windows Phone 7. I am not a twiter tweet or facebook user, so not at all interested in all that social junk (guess I am old fashioned, and still prefer to type out whole words and sentences/paragraphs, as well as seeing people face to face). So for me, WinMo 6.5.X and Sense 2.5 is just fine for me. But I DO wonder if and when HSPA+ comes out (or TMo 4G), will the HD2 improve with more speed?

thanks all!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1
Re: Keep VZW TP2 or swith to TMo and HD2????

1. I can only speak for Oklahoma, but I have full signal at my house now, where with Sprint I struggled to get 1-2 bars.

2. Yes, the keyboard is bigger & pretty easy to type on. Capacitive screens vs. resistive has a learning curve though, with the HD2 I have to type with my finger-pads, where on the TP2 I typed with my nails.

3. Join the club. I'll go back to my old Treo before I'll use WP7. Data speed has nothing to do with device speed though.

I say switch. I wasn't sure I'd be happy if I switched either, now my only gripe is that I didn't do it sooner.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: dell axim x50v, verizon xv6600

koukirydr is a n00b

I am currently using both Verizon's TP2 and T-Mobile's HD2 and I must say the Verizon's data is somewhat faster than T-Mobile's. I also heard that T-Mobile is working on their towers. The calls however have static on the HD2 whereas the TP2 is very clear.

Stock keyboard is fine but like kabuk1 said, it take some time to learn. Accuracy is not that good at first.

Device speed is very nice on the HD2. But data and call quality is not that great compared to the Verizon TP2. I am going to use the HD2 for another month or so just to see how it goes.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Almost a VIP

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff

it varies city to city i guess, but one of the first things i noticed was that tmo's data & call quality were way better than sprint's here in Norman. theres an option in bsb tweaks to decrease screen sensitivity, and that made a HUGE difference in the keyboard's accuracy.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: T_Mo

thrashingdeth is keeping up the good workthrashingdeth is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to thrashingdeth Send a message via MSN to thrashingdeth Send a message via Yahoo to thrashingdeth

I did the switch and do not regret it. data here where i am just fine as well as signal. the keyboard, like stated is a bit difficult to get used to.overall im glad i did it
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

switch
3g and H speed on t mobile is far superior than that of vzw in chicago. The phone is a great steal. If you want buy the phone outright. Look on craigslist people are selling this phone for some stupid reason and I got a fantastic deal for it. And I have to say you will be blown away. i almost can't wait for wp7 on it even if many (myself included in some areas) finds it very negative...
but so far the experience with the touch hd2 has been grand. I dont use swype to type though but I may reinstall swype 2.0
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

R32_rocky is a n00b

Ok, I bought the HD2 at Radio Shack. They too just dropped their price down to $150 like the walk-in price at WalMart. The guy checked the coverage map online at the T-Mobile website, and I am in the dark green (excellent) coverage area in my apartment, though I am close to the light green (moderate) zone.

My impressions? This phone is HUGE!!!! But I mean that as a positive comment. Also, any program, scrolling, nearly everything on this is blazingly FAST - BUT!!!!! THE T-Mobile signal strength in my apartment sucks the big one I rarely see a 3G connection, mostly the "E", and even then at 1-3 bars at best. YouTube??? Forget it! Internet? 5+ minute webpage loading (even on this webpage, 7+ min). But if or when I get a touch of 3G, then both YouTube and Internet blaze on this phone! Its just I never get that 3G much if at all.

As for voice quality during a call, this HD2 is darn near crystal clear compared to my TP2. The virtual keyboard, as mentioned earlier, is soooooo freaking sensitive. I could learn to live without the TP2 sliding keyboard (after a very long while LOL), but if there is a way to "desensitize" the virtual keyboard, that would be a tremendous help.

The Transformers videos are amazing, excellent PQ (and I am a home theater nut, am on AVS Forum a lot too). But the audio through the speaker is weak. I will assume through the earphones it would be much better?

Other problem - no one carries a case for this yet, at least who I checked with (Radio Shack, T-Mobile stores locally, Best Buy), though the gel skin will help for the pocket use, as well as the screen protector. but this needs/DESERVES a nice case (preferably still able to use the gel skin with it).

All in all, this is an AWESOME PHONE! It is ONLY let down by the poor signal strength of the T-Mobile network IF ONLY Verizon could sell this too....... Cause my TP2 has normally 3-4 bars of 3G where the HD2 is lucky to get 1-3 bars of "E" (for EMPTY????).

I will hate to do this, especially now that I have tasted the blazing speed of the Snapdragon, but I will sadly have to return the HD2 and just use a custom 6.5.3 / 2.5 ROM on my TP2. I can live with a less responsive screen more than I can live with no 3G signal
Old 04-15-2010, 01:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 & HTC HD2
Carrier: Verizon & T-Mobile

RKnight is keeping up the good workRKnight is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to RKnight Send a message via MSN to RKnight Send a message via Yahoo to RKnight

sorry to see you having to return the HD2.
Current Device: HTC HD2 Wife myTouch 3G & Touch Pro2 for SALE ~ ROM - Energy 6.5.X Series Wife .... in process of Rooting and finding a good 2.1 base with Sense 2.0 ROM ~ Carrier - T-Mobile ~ Memory Card - 16GB SanDisk soon to be 32 GB SanDisk
Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Almost a VIP

Damn, that sucks Rocky(that's my dad's name too BTW, lol). It's the worst tease ever huh? I'm lucky cause T-Mo far outpaces Sprint where I live, and pretty much everywhere else I've gone with my new baby so far. In fact, I never realized how craptacular Sprint was till I switch to T-mo.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

R32_rocky is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
Damn, that sucks Rocky(that's my dad's name too BTW, lol). It's the worst tease ever huh? I'm lucky cause T-Mo far outpaces Sprint where I live, and pretty much everywhere else I've gone with my new baby so far. In fact, I never realized how craptacular Sprint was till I switch to T-mo.
Well,the good news is that this HD2 works great with my AT&T U-Verse wireless router better than both my old BB Bold and current TP2! So now not a big need for 3G here at home. What a pleasent surprise.I almost did not even give wifi a try due to past experiences. But now need to get used to this overly sensitive and virtual keyboard. I really do love this phone, but have to get past some of its quirks/differences next

Thanks for all your help, and patience.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2