PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

spediegunz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stop sms message content from appearing in notification bar and on lock screen?

Hi I'm new to android and I know on my old touch pro i could customize if i wanted messages poping up on notification alerts and in the lock screen I can't seem to figure out how to do it with this phone. if I have my phone down on a table i don't want anyone to just be able to see what someone may be texting me I would rather it just say 1 text message received instead of showing me the entire message content without me even having to go into messages to open the sms up and read it. Can some one tell me if there is a way i can do this...
Old 12-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Postwhoring VIP
Pocket PC: MoPho Ray Tube!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to OR78
Wirelessly posted (HTC Evo...SNAPPYDRAGON: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

No. All that for a two letter word....lol sorry

Give some
Old 12-18-2010, 01:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

themogul8 is a n00b
Re: Stop sms message content from appearing in notification bar and on lock screen?

I run executive assistant and it replaces the stock lock screen and gives you the ability to customize the lock screen, may be worth a shot.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Stop sms message content from appearing in notification bar and on lock screen?

What happens when you select settings in the messaging app and uncheck-Received Notification: Show notification in status bar when messages are received. Just tested this and it does what you are asking.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR78 View Post
Wirelessly posted (HTC Evo...SNAPPYDRAGON: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

No. All that for a two letter word....lol sorry
im gonna have to say your wrong here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
What happens when you select settings in the messaging app and uncheck-Received Notification: Show notification in status bar when messages are received. Just tested this and it does what you are asking.
i use this method(messaging>settings>notifications>uncheck display notif in status bar) AND Pattern Lock... there is nothing idicating i have any unread messages in status or on lock screen..and no msg pop-ups..

OP, its totally do-able
Old 12-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Postwhoring VIP
Pocket PC: MoPho Ray Tube!!!

OR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to OR78

Quote:
Originally Posted by spediegunz View Post
... I would rather it just say 1 text message received instead of showing me the entire message content without me even having to go into messages to open the sms up and read it. Can some one tell me if there is a way i can do this...
This is what the OP requested.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
im gonna have to say your wrong here..

i use this method(messaging>settings>notifications>uncheck display notif in status bar) AND Pattern Lock... there is nothing idicating i have any unread messages in status or on lock screen..and no msg pop-ups..

OP, its totally do-able
Your instruction is not what the OP requested...therefore the answer is NO. So I think You sir, are wrong here.
Not trying to start static, I am just saying I READ the entire post and this is what his question was. In short there is no way to do this.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR78 View Post
This is what the OP requested.....

Your instruction is not what the OP requested...therefore the answer is NO. So I think You sir, are wrong here.
Not trying to start static, I am just saying I READ the entire post and this is what his question was. In short there is no way to do this.
Read again it again, you are the one that is confused. He doesn't want it to display the contents of the text message on the lock screen so that if he has his phone setting on the table face up and a message comes in everyone at the table could read it. By changing the settings that we recommended this will prevent the message from being displayed but he will still be alerted that he has a new text. So yes, it can and does work.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

ulysses is keeping up the good workulysses is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ulysses

i like fried rice...
Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 back up !! EVO 4G !!
Carrier: SPRINT

cuban4lf is keeping up the good workcuban4lf is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to cuban4lf Send a message via Skype™ to cuban4lf

i like eggrolls with my fried rice !!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 PM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
It does prevent the text message in the status bar and lock screen...but you get no sound....
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G