PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

leerage is keeping up the good workleerage is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking about getting an Evo, need advice.

Hello all,

I currently have a TP2 and I'm thinking about switching to an Evo. Been doing some research but I just wanted to get opinions from users that actually have an Evo. I know if I do get one I will definitely be running a custom ROM. Does anybody have any suggestions on what ROM works best for them. I also read when the Evo was originally released the battery life wasn't that great... I'm assuming HTC and/or Sprint have addressed those issues ... or the Cooks out there have figured it out. I would like USB and Wifi tethering and I believe from what I read those are easy options in the custom ROMs.

Anyways, if you have a moment and would like to share any other info you Evo users have, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

fakeguy is a n00b
Re: Thinking about getting an Evo, need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerage View Post
Hello all,

I currently have a TP2 and I'm thinking about switching to an Evo. Been doing some research but I just wanted to get opinions from users that actually have an Evo. I know if I do get one I will definitely be running a custom ROM. Does anybody have any suggestions on what ROM works best for them. I also read when the Evo was originally released the battery life wasn't that great... I'm assuming HTC and/or Sprint have addressed those issues ... or the Cooks out there have figured it out. I would like USB and Wifi tethering and I believe from what I read those are easy options in the custom ROMs.

Anyways, if you have a moment and would like to share any other info you Evo users have, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The standard answer is that you will have to test them out and see which one works best for you and all that. But IMO I've been using the latest Myn ROM from here: [ROM] Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo - [RLS 4 - 11/25/2010] - Making Sense Of It All! - xda-developers

So far it is great and the battery seems to last me longer than before on stock. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc

I'm running a rooted stock EVO, and yeah the battery life could be better. But its not THAAT bad. Also -your TP2 battery is the same as the EVOs, so at least you can carry around a backup.

Honestly, I think the stories you hear about the EVO's battery life are from people that leave all their radios on and brightness up and every app installed at default (why some apps default to autoupdating every 15 minutes boggles my mind).

On a typical day, I can get 12ish hours of use (heavy texting, not too much voice, and two google accounts pushed).
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the responses. I had a hunch the material I was reading about battery life was far out there. I would do heavy texting as well with push email from work and a little bit of voice. Right now with my TP2 I have two batteries that I charge on a dock and when 1 gets low, I pop the dead one out and put in a charged one in. I plan on doing the same with the Evo. I'm also looking at getting two 2000mah batteries from ebay? Anybody have any reviews on them?

One other question, I've reviewed the process on how to do a full root and I'm capable of doing so. I came across unrEVOked the other day and it looks like it is all GUI and does it for you. Anybody ever used that?

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:53 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I had a hunch the material I was reading about battery life was far out there. I would do heavy texting as well with push email from work and a little bit of voice. Right now with my TP2 I have two batteries that I charge on a dock and when 1 gets low, I pop the dead one out and put in a charged one in. I plan on doing the same with the Evo. I'm also looking at getting two 2000mah batteries from ebay? Anybody have any reviews on them?

One other question, I've reviewed the process on how to do a full root and I'm capable of doing so. I came across unrEVOked the other day and it looks like it is all GUI and does it for you. Anybody ever used that?

Thank you for your time.
depends on your hardware & software versions....what r they? unrevoked doesn't work on the latest versions
Old 12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

erockvr6 is keeping up the good workerockvr6 is keeping up the good workerockvr6 is keeping up the good work

2x1800mAh Battery+Dock USB CHGR SPRINT EVO 4G HTC SLIDE - eBay (item 320625532843 end time Dec-05-10 08:38:15 PST)
Ive heard good things about these, just ordered them so i cant verify, but reviews are positive, one stating that a 18% increase in battery life was their result. good considering they are a 20% upgrade
Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
depends on your hardware & software versions....what r they? unrevoked doesn't work on the latest versions
Haven't got it yet. I think I'm going out to the Sprint store tomorrow and pick it up. I'm assuming it is the latest version and I just seen that the latest version is root. I will follow up on that process.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

erockvr6 is keeping up the good workerockvr6 is keeping up the good workerockvr6 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Haven't got it yet. I think I'm going out to the Sprint store tomorrow and pick it up. I'm assuming it is the latest version and I just seen that the latest version is root. I will follow up on that process.
it all depends on your HBOOT version, i have a new EVO harware 0004 but it came with the older HBOOT, not sure why, but I'm fully rooted with unrevoked

FROM: http://forum.sdx-developers.com/deve...voked-3-21/15/
Quote:
Quote from: Flipper on November 05, 2010, 12:05:39 AM
Could be if you have Build 3.3XXXX with a different HBoot, Unrevoked won't work. Apparently, people with the latest build have unable to achieve root but I do believe they're working on a workaround.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-...available.html
currently this is true. unrevoked 3.21 doesnt work on hboot 2.02. unrevoked used an exploit in hboot to temp nand unlock and flash recovery. this exploit to temp unlock nand has been pathced in hboot 2.02 which comes with the 3.30 software.

Last edited by erockvr6; 12-03-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: source
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockvr6 View Post
it all depends on your HBOOT version, i have a new EVO harware 0004 but it came with the older HBOOT, not sure why, but I'm fully rooted with unrevoked
didn't know the newer phones *may* come w/ an older HBOOT, but good to know.....

if yours has HBOOT 2.02, follow this thread...

[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02 S-OFF - Like a Boss Edition! - Updated 11/20/10 - xda-developers
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockvr6 View Post
I checked unrevoked and is this the versions of HBOOT?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G