PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro> EVO
Carrier: Sprint

tx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to tx_jaycee
Potential Root for latest OTA

Not a ton of details yet but should be released tomorrow 8/10.

Thanks to theillustratedlife over at XDA for the details.

ozzeh is teasing for an exploit that removes security on the shipping SPL, allowing you to flash unsigned images. It is expected to release tomorrow.

Note this was posted at 2:33 am today.=D>

Edit for those too lazy to click on the links above.

From ozzeh
This release will remove the security from the bootloader of your HTC Incredible or HTC EVO 4G. This allows you complete access to your phone.
You now have the ability to flash and update every part of your phone, while also acting as a permanent nand unlock. (Root explorer will work again!)
Example: Modifying the stock "HTC Incredible" bootsplash
EDIT: Forgot the biggest plus to doing this, after installing any legit OTA, you have the ability to flash your choice of recovery back onto the device and reroot your phone. Your device is truly now "yours" forever.

Last edited by tx_jaycee; 08-10-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added additional details from ozzeh
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Potential Root for latest OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_jaycee View Post
Not a ton of details yet but should be released tomorrow 8/10.

Thanks to theillustratedlife over at XDA for the details.

ozzeh is teasing for an exploit that removes security on the shipping SPL, allowing you to flash unsigned images. It is expected to release tomorrow.

Note this was posted at 2:33 am today.=D>

Edit for those too lazy to click on the links above.

From ozzeh
This release will remove the security from the bootloader of your HTC Incredible or HTC EVO 4G. This allows you complete access to your phone.
You now have the ability to flash and update every part of your phone, while also acting as a permanent nand unlock. (Root explorer will work again!)
Example: Modifying the stock "HTC Incredible" bootsplash
EDIT: Forgot the biggest plus to doing this, after installing any legit OTA, you have the ability to flash your choice of recovery back onto the device and reroot your phone. Your device is truly now "yours" forever.
Thanks for the info.

Similar to this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131233

although your link is much more informative than the usual unrevoked disclosure (not), hehe
Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO,TP2,Diamond

searcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuff

Not to be a wet blanket...but I do computer security for a major corp. There is a reason other than simply locking people out of their phones that people should not use root.

If anyone has used Linux,Unix, XP, Vista or Windows 7, they should realize that you should not run as admin. An admin (or Root) user as access to everything. While that may seem great...modification...extra functionality...etc. There is a downside. If you have access to everything...so does a virus, hacker or rouge program. You may also have problems getting OTA updates until they are cooked into a rom.

I myself have rooted many of my phones using the great info from this and other sites. So I don't want anyone to think I am against it.

Just want people to make an informed choice.

And for those who want more info....

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...he_iphone.html

Last edited by searcher61; 08-10-2010 at 01:22 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

viruses for smartphones while they are out there dont think they area major threat yet. i personal run as admin but then again i know everything that comes and goes on my computer. but thanks for the heads up
Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It's not for everyone. Each should be responsible for their own actions and are at risk.

A great example was Norton Utilities, in the hands of someone who knew how to use it, it was an awesome resource, in the wrong hands it's disaster waiting to happen.

Personally I wouldn't be so inclined to be worried about trojans and viri, but more in "users error" portion of problems that arise

But as searcher61 has noted, it is good to make people aware.

-CC

EDIT: We have been lucky enough that there hasn't been any record of a malicious user/programmer "leaking" anything to truly damage or intentionally have users brick their phones.. yet.. The community has been trusting and generally helpful of one another. Which is refreshing to see in this dog eat dog world.

Last edited by clockcycle; 08-10-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G *Rooted*

datguy810 is just getting started

*THE FINE PRINT*
This will require a pre-rooted phone, but you'll be able to safely install any update and get root after any OTA by flashing an unsigned zip on your sdcard with a recovery of your choice inside.

If you have currently installed 2.2 OTA, we have no root for you yet. We've been working on this for the last month and haven't looked into rooting 2.2 properly yet. This is far more important to the EVO android community: no more huge downloads to fully root, no more PRI reversions and no more worrying about OTAs if you are on stock.

2.2 root is coming eventually as well, but we're only human.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

i believe it will be called unrevoked forever per his hints
Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium

eyepoker is just getting started

if we get full root to our devices is there a way to "login" so-to-speak as a "normal" user so as to not run rooted full time? yet at the same time to allow functions like tethering or over/underclocking that seems to require root?

basically, a phone that lets us do what we want without the security risks - i for sure wouldn't know how to lock down my phone and make it secure once its rooted.

To me its not enough to say that no malicious apps have been seen yet because to me that just says that no one's been caught, not that the viruses/rogue apps don't exist.

is there a way to do a security audit of our devices, to know where potential holes are?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

timtlm is keeping up the good worktimtlm is keeping up the good worktimtlm is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher61 View Post
Not to be a wet blanket...but I do computer security for a major corp. There is a reason other than simply locking people out of their phones that people should not use root.

If anyone has used Linux,Unix, XP, Vista or Windows 7, they should realize that you should not run as admin. An admin (or Root) user as access to everything. While that may seem great...modification...extra functionality...etc. There is a downside. If you have access to everything...so does a virus, hacker or rouge program. You may also have problems getting OTA updates until they are cooked into a rom.

I myself have rooted many of my phones using the great info from this and other sites. So I don't want anyone to think I am against it.

Android has some precautions to keep exactly what you say from happening. This is why when you use an application like wifi tether that requires root access, the superuser app prompts you for allowing su access. Read here: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...he_iphone.html
Old 08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher61 View Post

I want to choice. I dont want some company dictating what I can do with my phone because they feel it doesn't fit well with their bottom line. Is rooting for everyone? No, for sure. However, we shouldn't need to hack our phone to have full access to it. It should be some buried setting that could be enabled, but hidden from casual users to help mitigate problems.

Down with the man!!!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G