PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 AM
ShackMaster's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Reputation: 0
ShackMaster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Music Player Not reading Tag Info

I have about 14 GB of .wma music on the SD Card that I used in my TP2 with no problems. I upgraded to the EVO in early July put the card in, and it read the music files fine, and played, but then it stopped picking up the Track info, so it played the music in alphabetical order, instead of in the order of the track.

I figured that this was probably due to the fact that I didn't format the card or anything when I moved it from the WinMo TP2, to the EVO. So, finally I decided to try to remedy this problem. I copied all of the files I wanted off of the card, put it in the EVO and formated it. Then I copied over all of my other files an what not. I retagged my music in WMP, and put 2 artists worth back on the memory card in the EVO to see if the problem was fixed.

Even though it did pick up the album art this time, the overall problem was worse. Now, it doesn't read the artist or the track number. It still picks up the track name, but that's about it. I connected the EVO to my PC, and mounted it as a USB drive so I could look on the files there inside of a MP3 Tag Editor. All of the tags were there, in the files on the card. So now I'm at a loss, and need help I searched the enternet for hours, literally for this problem... Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM
macrae's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Reputation: 0
macrae is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Music Player Not reading Tag Info

I am having the same issue and it is really driving me crazy. I have tried syncing with WMP, dragging and dropping the files from my harddrive and even renaming the tracks numerically but they still appear in a random order. Most of my artists are also listed as unknown. This is frustrating when I am trying to listen to a show tune album (sorry) and the final song comes first. I downloaded double twist but they play and are listed the same way. The few albums that I had in itunes also are showing up the same way. So has anyone come up with a fix or workaround for this or is this something that could possibly be fixed in an update? If I remember correctly, this wasn't a problem until after the last update. I am just running the stock phone.

Thanks to anyone who has information on this. And also thanks to the whole community here. I have learned so much reading everyone's posts. There are some super smart people on this forum!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 PM
ShackMaster's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Reputation: 0
ShackMaster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Music Player Not reading Tag Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae View Post
I am having the same issue and it is really driving me crazy. I have tried syncing with WMP, dragging and dropping the files from my harddrive and even renaming the tracks numerically but they still appear in a random order. Most of my artists are also listed as unknown. This is frustrating when I am trying to listen to a show tune album (sorry) and the final song comes first. I downloaded double twist but they play and are listed the same way. The few albums that I had in itunes also are showing up the same way. So has anyone come up with a fix or workaround for this or is this something that could possibly be fixed in an update? If I remember correctly, this wasn't a problem until after the last update. I am just running the stock phone.

Thanks to anyone who has information on this. And also thanks to the whole community here. I have learned so much reading everyone's posts. There are some super smart people on this forum!
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem at least. It was driving me crazy, because I like you had done everything I could think of. There's only so long you can listen to your music in random mode until you want to hear "A CD" from start to finish...

This wouldn't be such a pain to troubleshoot if the Memory Card in the EVO wasn't under the battery.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 AM
ShackMaster's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Reputation: 0
ShackMaster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Music Player Not reading Tag Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackMaster View Post
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem at least. It was driving me crazy, because I like you had done everything I could think of. There's only so long you can listen to your music in random mode until you want to hear "A CD" from start to finish...

This wouldn't be such a pain to troubleshoot if the Memory Card in the EVO wasn't under the battery.
OK So, I made this post earlier today, and promised not to sleep until I figured it out. Fortunately for me, it's not too late. But I did figure out my problem. I'm not sure if it solves yours though.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...BcsLpNKotLs-CQ

See the link above. Android apparently has inherent issues with WMA and Tags. I had issues with music playing on the TP2, so I ended up syncing everything with it to WMA. Obviously the Windows Mobile TP2 had no problems with that. Anddroid does.

The apparent solution would be to convert back to MP3 format or something with which Android plays better. Which is what I will be doing...

Macrae, are your songs stored in WMA? If so, that's probably your problem, and there's nothing you can do about it from what I could find other than switch to MP3.

If your songs are not in MP3, there's still hope... For MP3 files, there are different versions or types or whatever of tag info. From what I was able to determine last night. Android can only read Mp3 v1, and not v2.3, or v2.4. DoubleTwist, even though it read the tag info of the files in WMA, when it synced the files to the memory card in mp3 format, it didn't transfer any of the tag info with it. DoubleTwist saw the WMA tags, and had all of the info. When it syncs, it apparently converts the files to mp3s, which is great. But it doesn't copy the Tag Info. I synced some of the WMA songs I had to my phone using Double Twist, and then looked at the files that it had just synced, in doubletwist, but on the phone and tey were all Unknown Artist, etc.

Once I figured all of this out, I was able to take .mp3 files that didn't have the tag Info and wouldn't play, then edit the tag Info, and get the Media player to recognize all of the info, and play the CDs like they should.

So, if you get the files onto your phone in mp3 format, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, a Tag Editor should help get the tags in the right version to work for you. Hope this helps. I'll look into it more tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure I've found the solution to my problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
blockhead428's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 433
Reputation: 624
blockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Music Player Not reading Tag Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackMaster View Post
OK So, I made this post earlier today, and promised not to sleep until I figured it out. Fortunately for me, it's not too late. But I did figure out my problem. I'm not sure if it solves yours though.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...BcsLpNKotLs-CQ

See the link above. Android apparently has inherent issues with WMA and Tags. I had issues with music playing on the TP2, so I ended up syncing everything with it to WMA. Obviously the Windows Mobile TP2 had no problems with that. Anddroid does.

The apparent solution would be to convert back to MP3 format or something with which Android plays better. Which is what I will be doing...

Macrae, are your songs stored in WMA? If so, that's probably your problem, and there's nothing you can do about it from what I could find other than switch to MP3.

If your songs are not in MP3, there's still hope... For MP3 files, there are different versions or types or whatever of tag info. From what I was able to determine last night. Android can only read Mp3 v1, and not v2.3, or v2.4. DoubleTwist, even though it read the tag info of the files in WMA, when it synced the files to the memory card in mp3 format, it didn't transfer any of the tag info with it. DoubleTwist saw the WMA tags, and had all of the info. When it syncs, it apparently converts the files to mp3s, which is great. But it doesn't copy the Tag Info. I synced some of the WMA songs I had to my phone using Double Twist, and then looked at the files that it had just synced, in doubletwist, but on the phone and tey were all Unknown Artist, etc.

Once I figured all of this out, I was able to take .mp3 files that didn't have the tag Info and wouldn't play, then edit the tag Info, and get the Media player to recognize all of the info, and play the CDs like they should.

So, if you get the files onto your phone in mp3 format, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, a Tag Editor should help get the tags in the right version to work for you. Hope this helps. I'll look into it more tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure I've found the solution to my problem.
Well I just realized I'm having a similar problem. I use bTunes to play my music and none of the album art was showing up. I've tried every single free music player on the market and still all my music shows up as "unknown artist" and it's not reading the album art. When I was on eclair, everything was reading just fine. Since I upgraded to froyo, the problems have begun. Does anyone have a solution??
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 PM
macrae's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Reputation: 0
macrae is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Music Player Not reading Tag Info

Thanks ShackMaster for your information and the link. I have spent entirely too much time on this. Tonight I tried Media Monkey. No album art. I also tried to convert using Freerip. Again no album art but they are in the correct order. I am willing to spend the time converting my wma files to Mp3 format but I am not willing to try to add the album art later. There just must be an easier way to do this. I am getting myself so confused that I am not really sure anymore what I have tried and what I have not tried. In fact, I deleted an album off the phone to add it on another way and it didn't work. So I put it back on in the way I thought I had added all the other albums and guess what....no album art. Argh!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 AM
blockhead428's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 433
Reputation: 624
blockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuffblockhead428 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Music Player Not reading Tag Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae View Post
Thanks ShackMaster for your information and the link. I have spent entirely too much time on this. Tonight I tried Media Monkey. No album art. I also tried to convert using Freerip. Again no album art but they are in the correct order. I am willing to spend the time converting my wma files to Mp3 format but I am not willing to try to add the album art later. There just must be an easier way to do this. I am getting myself so confused that I am not really sure anymore what I have tried and what I have not tried. In fact, I deleted an album off the phone to add it on another way and it didn't work. So I put it back on in the way I thought I had added all the other albums and guess what....no album art. Argh!
Here's what I did. Every mp3 that I wanted on my phone I added into my Winamp playlist. From there, I selected every file, right clicked, and hit "view file info". Click the ID3v1 tab and uncheck "Include ID3v1 tag in file", then hit Ok. Once that's done it will go to the next file and you just repeat the process. You can get to where you hit the space bar to uncheck and enter to go to the next file, that way it goes faster. Then you reload all that music back onto your device and you'll see album art after that.

Keep in mind this only works for files that have the ID3v2 tag already filled out. If you had album art before and the artist and title were showing up correctly then this method should work for you. It's a pain in the ass, but it works.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com