PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO LTE / Stock ICS 4.0.3
Carrier: The Now Network

fceeviper is keeping up the good workfceeviper is keeping up the good workfceeviper is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: All HTC Evo Battery Perfomance Talk

These tips and tricks have been working for me, I have not tried Juice Defender.

But my phone last all day with daily use now. :up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJr106 View Post
"Hey did anyone hear about release of the Windows Mobile 6.5 update
for the Touch Pro 2 coming out tomorrow??!!
I just read at the top of this thread and wanted to share it with everyone"

Last edited by fceeviper; 12-14-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

mikey1234 is becoming a great contributor

i just bought an EVO online and waiting for it to come to me so i know my question i'm about to ask is like trying to run before walking, however, i'm gonna ask it anyway

how does everyone feel about the need for an extended battery? i will probably be using the most up to date stock rom and if i wasn't happy with that, i would be flashing (do we even call it flashing? sorry, tp2 owner here) a custom rom... with battery tweaks and 2.2, are people finding extended battery necessary?

my typical usage would be approx 100-150 texts, 30-60 mins talk time, 1-2 hr video/web browsing, 10-15 emails sent/received, 4g off, wifi off at work for 8hrs & on the rest of the day, bluetooth mostly off

any recommendations? what i think i will do is probably just roll with stock battery and see where that takes me. i was just curious what people think. also, i've been reading conflicting reports about it being good or bad to completely discharge and charge the phone's battery a couple times before use
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

I ran my phone on the car charger all day while running Google Navigator. It felt warm so I checked the battery temperature and it was 117F. I turned off Navagator and it dropped to 94F. I assume the CPU was just at max and draining voltage as quick as the charger could replace it. That will raise battery resistance (hyterises) and cause temps to rise. But it did give pause. I don't know what temp the instrument can endure before damage occurs
Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1234 View Post
i just bought an EVO online and waiting for it to come to me so i know my question i'm about to ask is like trying to run before walking, however, i'm gonna ask it anyway

how does everyone feel about the need for an extended battery? i will probably be using the most up to date stock rom and if i wasn't happy with that, i would be flashing (do we even call it flashing? sorry, tp2 owner here) a custom rom... with battery tweaks and 2.2, are people finding extended battery necessary?

my typical usage would be approx 100-150 texts, 30-60 mins talk time, 1-2 hr video/web browsing, 10-15 emails sent/received, 4g off, wifi off at work for 8hrs & on the rest of the day, bluetooth mostly off

any recommendations? what i think i will do is probably just roll with stock battery and see where that takes me. i was just curious what people think. also, i've been reading conflicting reports about it being good or bad to completely discharge and charge the phone's battery a couple times before use
will if your gonna run stock roms i would say the extended battery is a must have, but if you going to go to custom roms i would use a SBC kernel i myself get awesome battery life with it and i live on my fone

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Last edited by Karl; 01-20-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:

Welcome aboard mikey. I came from a TP2 3 weeks ago myself. I'll be honest, when you FIRST get the EVO you'll most likely freak at the batt life being so 'short'... As I said I've had mine for 3 weeks and only in the last week have I really started to read up and test some of the advice found in threads like this one. Since I've put the advice to use my batt life has been FAR superior to what I was getting with my TP2, and I'm using this phone WAY more than I did that previous one to boot.

When you get your phone, dont do ANYTHING for a week in the way of mods and tweaks. You need a baseline so you can really FEEL the difference when time comes to roll them into your setup.

The tools I've found invaluable so far are:
Juice Defender/Ultimate Juice
Uncheck auto-brightness and set it to 40-50%
Disable your auto syncs for gmail,contacts,stocks,weather ect...

Doing this alone in the last 48hrs has easily doubled my batt life with no change in how much I handle the phone on a daily basis and my usage pretty closely mirrors what you posted if not more.

Best... Member... Ever...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Just got my EVO about a month ago, read up a whole lot to learn how to root it <read so much my head hurt lol> and then ran with that for about a week or so while I read up on how to flash a custom ROM <again probably read to much and was confusing myself and had another headache lol> onto the phone, was very nervous about doing that and said to myself that I wouldn't, at least for a while, but after about another week I felt that I had read enough and understood how to flash the new ROM I did a nandroid backup and flashed a custom ROM.

With it being a different process than the TP2 is what makes it so nerve racking I think. Anyways I have found that with Calkulins 1.7.7 <http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7502719&postcount=1>, #15 Kernel V7 <http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9878475&postcount=2> and the Sprint extended battery <2600 mAH?> I get through the day pretty damn good and that's with a few calls, few text messages and playing a couple of games I usually go to bed with about 60% battery left.

Another tip, youtube is your friend and has a lot of good tutorials on it so if you have any questions/concerns I would search on their and watch a few video's, anyways that's my two cents.

Last edited by KIOWA69; 01-23-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: fingers and brain not working together
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jj14x is just getting started

Quote:
how does everyone feel about the need for an extended battery?

any recommendations? what i think i will do is probably just roll with stock battery and see where that takes me.

also, i've been reading conflicting reports about it being good or bad to completely discharge and charge the phone's battery a couple times before use
Your idea is what I went with - used the stock battery for a couple of weeks (don't rely on usage/battery life from first few days - you will probably be exploring the phone options, setting things up the way you want etc... all these will ensure you don't get an accurate baseline. Use the phone for about 2-3 weeks and see if it lasts you a full day or not. If not, get the extended battery.
After installing juice defender, my battery lasted me thru' the end of day, but I still went with an extended battery because I don't want to have to carry my charger with me everytime I go out for a weekend. My 2600mAh sprint battery lasts me > 3 days with moderate use.

Completely discharging/charging your Li-Ion battery is a bad idea. Li-Ion batteries do not do well with full discharge. I usually recharge my battery when it reaches 40% or so. Regular topping up is better than deep discharge for Li-Ion batteries.

HTH!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I started using a live wallpaper called WP Clock. It has a clock built in, day, date, battery, wifi status on the home screen. I turned off all animations and this has made a big difference compaired to the stock clock/weather widget. Battery seems to last longer.

So my questions are:
1) does a widget clock use more or less battery that a wallpaper clock.
2) what uses more battery, wifi or 3g

Thanks, T

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G