PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yessss!!!! Netflix on Roku box WORKS on Evo in 3G on Hotspot

I can't believe it even fully connected, but it actually streams smooth after what seemed to be a "downshift" after the first and only glitch. I tried everything to even get anything working with the Roku box on my TP2, using all the WiFiRouter's I could find, including the paid one.

Here are the steps I went through. I started the Hotspot, and Roku couldn't even see the phone (at least I had got the Roku to see and try connecting to the TP2). I then tried entering the Router Name (SSID) of the Hotspot manually, but it still didn't see it. The Security was set to "WPA (TKIP)". So I changed the security to "WPA2 (AE5)", and it showed on the Roku and hooked right up. All 3 lines on the Roku went green. I never got past 1 or 2 green dots in the connection process with the TP2.

I then clicked to play an old Al Pacino movie, "And Justice for All" I think it was called. It played about a minute after a rather long load time, maybe almost 2 minutes. It only played a minute or so, then while it was loading some more, there was kind of a "shift" on the screen, like something "changed gears". When it started playing again, the picture and sound were fine, if not the absolute highest quality, perfectly acceptable. What's more, in 7-8 minutes, there were no glitches. I started to wonder if the phone had started "channeling" the WiFi from my cable wireless. So I left the movie running, and unplugged my wireless router, and let the movie run 10 more minutes or so.

Then I stopped the movie, and started Dirty Harry. Again, up to 2 minutes for the initial loadup, but then it ran perfect, with no glitches on sound or picture, no "artifacts", etc. I let it run for over 10 minutes.

AGAIN, FOLKS, SMOOTH NETFLIX THROUGH ROKU ON 3G WORKS!!!!!!!

I need to find a way to use this monster to feed all my TV's, and ditch cable altogether.

Last edited by TheBundo; 05-31-2010 at 11:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

edub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Yessss!!!! Netflix on Roku box WORKS on Evo in 3G on Hotspot

whats roku? Im new to android.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub186 View Post
whats roku? Im new to android.
i think its a box that lets you stream netflix to your tv via wifi.. but he used the evo hotspot as his wifi ( i think)
Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

dont use ROKU but thats good info. have you tried streaming netflix off the website?

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

edub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ooooooh. Nice
Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 AM
GTX Team Member
Pocket PC: Epic! (Evo and TP2 on standby)

Scientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I guess this is good to know, maybe one day netflix will have something worthwhile to stream, right now it's slim pickins!!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
i think its a box that lets you stream netflix to your tv via wifi.. but he used the evo hotspot as his wifi ( i think)
Yep. I love the older movies and TV show on there. They have a lot of new stuff too, like 24, etc. I great to know I can still use it if the cable is out, which it is all too often. This may mean the Hotspot will work on those game box things.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
dont use ROKU but thats good info. have you tried streaming netflix off the website?

CW
Yes, but you need to use a computer. With a Roku box, you can select the shows from either a computer or from the phone app, and then watch them on any TV. Your choices show up on the Roku box
Old 06-01-2010, 12:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
I guess this is good to know, maybe one day netflix will have something worthwhile to stream, right now it's slim pickins!!
Tons of good stuff on Instant Viewing. Seems newer stuff is coming faster now too. I use it at least three times a week on my 360 or PS3. This setup with the EVO and my 360 will be perfect when I go to Destin, Florida one weekend a month. No internet at my house there.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Yes, but you need to use a computer. With a Roku box, you can select the shows from either a computer or from the phone app, and then watch them on any TV. Your choices show up on the Roku box
I knew you could watch it on the computer...lmao I meant on the phone... I wounder how well it would work with my XBox I have netfilx on it.

CW

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G