PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP!!! GPS software causing reboot and/or freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I just came on to report what I think causes this.

By any chance did you play with running Android

I run completely stock ROMs.

Except I did play with Android I didn't connect the dots the first time.

But to fix I reloaded stock ROM (which redoes the radio).

That fixed it, was running fine for couple weeks again.

Then I booted Android and and next day I get Reboots when anything uses the GPS.
Reflash stock.

Disabled QuickGPS Service.
Disabled QuickGPS settings.

This "instance" of a reflash has never had GPSGate do an update.

There is no xtra.bin file on my phone.

I also removed the battery in case this corrupt data in the GPS Radio is battery powered.

Google Maps Connects pretty fast after a boot and stays connected with no reboots.
But if I exit and restart google maps it will not reconnect. The seems very familiar from the early days of the Sprint Touch when GPS Assist was broken. It would work once per boot.

GPSGate/iGuidance is struggling to stay connected even after a fresh boot (again no reboots).

GPSGate goes green then yellow and sometimes comes back.

I need to play with GPS Gate maybe it's disconnecting and connecting or something because Google Maps seems ok. But works only once per boot.

I'm not sure if these are artifacts of no assist or the same problem I'm just not seeing the reboot symptom because I have no corrupt xtra.bin file.

It would consistently reboot the last time around with GPSGate or GoogleMaps but it has not done that yet.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

stormygal_indy is keeping up the good workstormygal_indy is keeping up the good work

Update from my end ... last night I went back to Sprint shipped, still had the problem. I've always run the Sprint radio, whatever was most current for the Diamond. Shipped still exhibited the GPS issues -- one use per boot, every other attempt either coming up with no sat signal, locking the phone or rebooting it. So last night while on shipped, I flashed to a different radio (I think I tried Alltel) and everything was fine. So I went through a few power cycles and attempts to see that all was well and thought I'd re-flash the Sprint radio I'd been on for months. No dice -- same symptoms again. I flashed to a Verizon radio that I'm still running with no issues, all GPS behaves properly.

I only put a temp build of my 6.5 ROM on, so I need to reflash later... I might give the Sprint radio a try again and see what the results are. Why would a fresh flash of the radio my phone ran when the problem started still produce the same results but a new radio doesn't? ODD!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

stormygal_indy is keeping up the good workstormygal_indy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I just came on to report what I think causes this.

By any chance did you play with running Android

I run completely stock ROMs.

Except I did play with Android I didn't connect the dots the first time.

But to fix I reloaded stock ROM (which redoes the radio).

That fixed it, was running fine for couple weeks again.

Then I booted Android and and next day I get Reboots when anything uses the GPS.
This GPS issue seems to go across all carriers, TP and Diamond both (maybe others), all variations of custom-ROM and straight stock/shipped. Don't think it's related to a specific "something" everyone has tried but rather something all our phones share or do that has gone wonky.

Edit: This could be GPS/QuickGPS data related... that would kinda tie into it popping up initially various times/dates for ppl since everyone's QuickGPS info would be different expiration dates and times? Could a bad packet of info have fouled something up with the radio?

Last edited by stormygal_indy; 10-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormygal_indy View Post
Update from my end ... last night I went back to Sprint shipped, still had the problem. I've always run the Sprint radio, whatever was most current for the Diamond. Shipped still exhibited the GPS issues -- one use per boot, every other attempt either coming up with no sat signal, locking the phone or rebooting it. So last night while on shipped, I flashed to a different radio (I think I tried Alltel) and everything was fine. So I went through a few power cycles and attempts to see that all was well and thought I'd re-flash the Sprint radio I'd been on for months. No dice -- same symptoms again. I flashed to a Verizon radio that I'm still running with no issues, all GPS behaves properly.

I only put a temp build of my 6.5 ROM on, so I need to reflash later... I might give the Sprint radio a try again and see what the results are. Why would a fresh flash of the radio my phone ran when the problem started still produce the same results but a new radio doesn't? ODD!
This is good data and makes some sense.

There some data that is corrupt on the radio side.

Different Radios map things different.

When you go back to sprint it's pointing at that corrupt data again.

The corruption is probably in the same part of the phone where your service provider info is.

Which is not touched with touched with any flashes.

I wonder if a IOTA reprovision might clear it. Or waiting 2 weeks for the bogus data to expire.

I've even gone in the registry and disabled AGPS and it still fails.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Liamfm is a n00b

For those looking for a fix this is what worked for me:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92926&page=7

Some report that it's not working, but I'm happy to say that my GPS is currently locked on 5 sats while inside my house.

good luck!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Telus

airborneaussie is just getting started

Encountered the same problem as everyone else. Running a 6.1 ROM based on Calkulin's kitchen and using Telus service. One thing that I noticed is that every time the GPS freezes / crashes, a blank text file is generated in the 'My Documents' folder. Is anyone else getting this?

The file names is something along the lines of:

GCS_20091030_155536.txt
GHS_20091030_141657.txt

Anyway, gotta run!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamfm View Post
For those looking for a fix this is what worked for me:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92926&page=7

Some report that it's not working, but I'm happy to say that my GPS is currently locked on 5 sats while inside my house.

good luck!
Well there is about 6 things people tried in that thread and most report no luck.

What did you do that worked?

I think the corruption is somewhat random.

A fresh stock ROM cleared it for me last week and it ran fine.

I don't think DST has anything to do with it. It corrupted on me over week ago exactly the same way.

Now nothing works. xtra.bin from thread, no xtra.bin, shutting off AGPS in registry, taking battery out, never having QuickGPS (including killing service) on a Fresh Stock ROM, Changing AGPS Servers order in registry.

By the way this is where the data comes from

http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

2 and 3 map to the same IP address.

Been trying to find and alternate server.

There is also

http://test.agps.com

But it uses a different port and I can't seem to find the file on that server with port 80 or with the port specified (I forget the exact port number normally used).
Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

In case anyone wants to try a different radio, here's the main thread for those. Those radio files don't require a hard reset, they're meant to be used with any ROM without compromising your data. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71409
Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM
VIP Member

Couple more things I tried.

I was guessing it was AGPS some how.

So I shut the phone network off (blue tooth must be on to prevent airplane mode)

Then tried GPSGate. Right after it gets a lock it looses it. Sometimes it reboots shortly after

I tried the QPST program and disabled EVERY gps option.

No change.

Changed to telus setings

No change.

Changed to bogus IP address to try to kill AGPS

No Change

Running out of ideas.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: anyone
Carrier: anyone

fnakfhe is a n00b

My phone is also resetting now too, started a few days ago.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond