PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

brc64 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
is it possible to make a backup image of your phone?

I know about things like PIMBackup, but they only do so much. I'm pretty happy with the ROM I'm using right now, but I've put a ton of work into customizing it the way I like it, and I don't even remember everything I've done. I'm interested in trying a couple of new things, but I want to be able to return to the way things are now if I decide I don't like it.

Is there any way to make a complete backup image of my phone that I can restore, including the ROM and all settings and customizations I've done to it? I don't care so much if it's a multi-gig file as long as I can store it on my PC and use it to restore my phone to its current state.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: Telus

O'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Yahoo to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Skype™ to O'Neil Mitchell
Re: is it possible to make a backup image of your phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc64 View Post
I know about things like PIMBackup, but they only do so much. I'm pretty happy with the ROM I'm using right now, but I've put a ton of work into customizing it the way I like it, and I don't even remember everything I've done. I'm interested in trying a couple of new things, but I want to be able to return to the way things are now if I decide I don't like it.

Is there any way to make a complete backup image of my phone that I can restore, including the ROM and all settings and customizations I've done to it? I don't care so much if it's a multi-gig file as long as I can store it on my PC and use it to restore my phone to its current state.
Have you tried SPB Backup
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Threadstarter

brc64 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neil Mitchell View Post
Have you tried SPB Backup
I haven't, but it looks promising. I'm afraid of backing it up only to find out at the worst possible time that the restore doesn't get everything. Can anybody who's used SPB Backup confirm that it's a total backup solution, right down to server settings, manilla edits and registry tweaks?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc64 View Post
I haven't, but it looks promising. I'm afraid of backing it up only to find out at the worst possible time that the restore doesn't get everything. Can anybody who's used SPB Backup confirm that it's a total backup solution, right down to server settings, manilla edits and registry tweaks?
Yes, it backs up everything, as does Sprite Backup (which I use).
Old 06-23-2009, 02:33 PM
The Playboy Boy
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Curb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuff

no it doesnt. it backs up contacts, texts, call history, emails, ect. not registry and manilla tweaks. You are looking for Sashimi! Sashimi can restore EVERYTHING to exactly how you want it after flashing a ROM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: sprint diamond w/ obviously stable rom 7-22
Carrier: sprint

etski is keeping up the good worketski is keeping up the good work

I use spb backup, but it definitely has it's limitations. It does not back up the rom, you must always flash a rom. It does back up the registry and some system files, but I really don't know exactly what. It has 3 restore modes, normal, rom update and new device. I have not had good luck doing anything fancy, I have problems when it restores system data and registry. I have not reliably used it for anything other than contacts, email and my documents. It does restore email settings and texts, but I am thinking about trying sashimi. As far as I know, Sashimi doesn't do any type of backup. If it does, someone please tell me how! It just allows you to do the repetitive tasks like setting up your emails and installing cab files, registry tweaks, etc. You set them up once and then you have them all in one place when you put in a new rom. I've been putting off setting up Sashimi, because I think it's a lot of work the first time, but I think it is definitely the way to go, so hopefully I will get mine configured before you do yours!

Don't forget to hit the thanks button when something helped you!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I havnt had a trouble with SPB backup, it restores an exact image of you phone. I have backup for MightyROM going back to 3.9 and if I flash anyone of those ROM and run the backup it will put everything back where it was, when I was on that particular ROM.

Restores my themes, reg tweaks, contacts, email (with settings), SMS and MMS, puts programs back into the programs tab. If you choose to upgrade your ROM, and run your back in force ROM upgrade mode, it will not reinstall System data.

That's my experience at least.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: Telus

O'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Yahoo to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Skype™ to O'Neil Mitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREmp77 View Post
I havnt had a trouble with SPB backup, it restores an exact image of you phone. I have backup for MightyROM going back to 3.9 and if I flash anyone of those ROM and run the backup it will put everything back where it was, when I was on that particular ROM.

Restores my themes, reg tweaks, contacts, email (with settings), SMS and MMS, puts programs back into the programs tab. If you choose to upgrade your ROM, and run your back in force ROM upgrade mode, it will not reinstall System data.

Couldn't have said it better
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: sprint diamond w/ obviously stable rom 7-22
Carrier: sprint

etski is keeping up the good worketski is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREmp77 View Post

When you change roms, say from sprint stock to grooverom or if you now want to switch to mightymike, what procedure do you follow? Do you force normal instead of rom upgrade (which it seems to default to when switching roms).

You do agree that spb restore can't restore a custom rom, it must be flashed first, right?

Themes, reg tweaks and programs are all considered system data by spb, right? What gets restored when doing rom upgrade or new device restores? I've never seen much documented, so I'm just going based on what I've seen. I would love additional documentation, do you have any?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

When you say you want to try a couple of new things ... if you are talking about a different custom rom, then that would add a second step to a restoration. Here's the deal ... SPB will do a complete restore, including everything, and will do a wonderful job on the custom rom that it backs up. If you try a different rom (shipped, custom, whatever), then you will need to re-run the base rom you backed up, and then run a complete SPB restore. Hope that makes sense. The short answer is YES, you can do a complete restore in one or two steps. I do it all the time with nary a hiccup.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond