PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stylus Issue With Touch Diamond

All of a sudden the other day, my stylus won't get pulled in by the magnet. I checked it out and there is friction when the stylus goes into the first "tunnel" about half way thru. Once the non tapered part of the stylus gets into the tunnel, it meets a little friction and the stylus will actually stay there without falling out. I can push it all the way in and it will stay there via friction. I removed the back cover and took a look into the tunnel and I see what appears to be a slight obstruction. It looks to be part of the housing of the tunnel. It is not debris as I blew it out with compressed air. I slipped a thin straw into the tunnel and pressed it up against the inside and I also felt a slight "lip" which may or may not be normal. Has this occurred with anyone else?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

ssteven365 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Stylus Issue With Touch Diamond

There another thread somewhere in this forum about a similar issue. I think that obstruction you mention is actually a small piece of magnet that pulls your stylus in.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteven365 View Post
There another thread somewhere in this forum about a similar issue. I think that obstruction you mention is actually a small piece of magnet that pulls your stylus in.
yes, spot on, theres 2 little buffers in there and the piece will probably fall out soon. happened to me on one of my diamonds. i stuck tape in there so the styli wouldnt fall out till i got a new phone. sounds like my problem, i may be wrong.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I went to the sprint store and they never saw the problem before. They said they would order a Diamond for me but it would be a refurbished one. I am holding off for now. I understand that Sprint has the choice to give a refurbished replacement but the diamond is only 2 months old and I paid alot of money for it. It bothers me that for such a high priced device that this issue has occurred and that sh will have to settle for a refurbished Diamond. I guess I could write to HTC.Any suggestions? Btw, a small strip came out which is the magnet. I put it back in so at least the stylus is held in by friction. The strip is approximately 3/8" x 1/16". It appears that one side of the magnet had a little glue on it that held it in place. HTC must be aware of this problem. Doesn't surprise me that this occurred as a little feature such as a magnetic stylus may have been a wasted effort if it is going to fail.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

UPDATE:I just got off the phone with HTC America at 866 449 8358 and I explained my issue. The lady was very nice and asked me to hold on while she checked some info. After less than 2 minutes she said since it is a hardware related problem she gave me the telephone number to the Warranty/Repair Center which is 800 229 1235.She said that they could tell me exactly what the issue is and where that piece is from and then could tell me what my options were in getting it fixed. The Warranty/Repair Center is located in the Northeast and their hours of operation are M-F 8am-5pm. The person I spoke with also said that they have a customer based discussion website that I can visit which is <a href="http://www.htcwiki.com target="_blank">www.htcwiki.com at least I was not told to call my carrier to take care of this issue, at least not yet I will call the Center tomorrow. Btw, I was also told that the Center also sells accessories directly to the public which is good to know. So far I am very satisfied with the service that I have gotten from HTC and hope it continues to be positive.

Last edited by Biker1; 12-17-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:22 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

UPDATE:I went to the same sprint store as yesterday after speaking to the manager on the phone. He exchanged my defective Diamond for a BRAND NEW ONE IN THE BOX Thank you sir! I gave the guy a $20 for his help of which I was very appreciative of. I never did have to call HTC back.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Alltel

bleeblak8 is just getting started

Glad things worked out for you. I had the same problem with my Alltel Touch Diamond. But my volume key was messed up so they just replaced it. Must be a bad batch of phones. But this one is running smooth as can be.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeblak8 View Post
Glad things worked out for you. I had the same problem with my Alltel Touch Diamond. But my volume key was messed up so they just replaced it. Must be a bad batch of phones. But this one is running smooth as can be.
I am happy I received a NEW Diamond and not a refurbished one. I will call HTC anyway to see why this issue is occurring and if it is isolated to just a limited amount of devices or widespread. I will keep everyone posted of the answer.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Henri Blanche

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Post Re: Stylus Issue With Touch Diamond

Greetings All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker1 View Post
I am happy I received a NEW Diamond and not a refurbished one. I will call HTC anyway to see why this issue is occurring and if it is isolated to just a limited amount of devices or widespread. I will keep everyone posted of the answer.
Be careful what you wish for. I've had three Diamonds already. The first one had all sorts of problems so I went back to the store and exchanged it for another new one.

The second one also had problems of a different sort and after spending almost two hours on the phone with technical support he overnighted me another phone which, much to my initial chagrin, was a refurbished one. I too had a negative impression of this but sighed and continued with the exchange.

Guess which Diamond has been problem-free? If refurbished properly I think the time-tested and repaired Diamond might just be better than the untried and untested new one. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Cheers, Henri

P.S.
Did I mention the generous credit to my statement that the rep made for all the time we spent on the phone?
Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

JoeTreaf is just getting started

You are not alone. Just happened to mine. Normal use, not a big stylus user. I tried to reinsert the stylus and it seemed jammed. I pushed a little harder and it made it all the way in. Thought something might me stuck so I tried to see it in the light but I could see a thing. I pulled the stylus in and out a few more times and then lightly tapped the Diamond and out came the magnet. Now the stylus won't stay in. What a pile!! Great phone and they skimped on a 2 cent piece on tape instead of gluing it in place. Now what??!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond