PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 12:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Procter is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there any tweak to help clean up the phone storage mem (not the 4G) in stock rom

I've been using Diamond for two days and noticed that it's fairly easy to stuff the phone's internal memory (I'm talking about the 91 MB not the "internal storage" of 4G).

Coming from Touch, I only installed those same old softwares and most of them are installed to the 4G. With only 12 apps, my memory only has 8mb left.

in storage:
SPB backup; Resco explorer; live search; OZ IM; memmaid

In memory:
TCPMP for wm 6.1; IGo 8 (Maps are in storage); 14M font file for unicode; a bunch of small hack cabs for only several kb

I had all those plus Touchpal on my Touch and never ran into low memory problem, but when I was trying to install touchpal the other day on Diamond I got low memory warning.

Do you guys know which software is eating the internal memory most? I'm guessing it's the pre-installed junkies such as Sprint TV, Music and stuff plus Opera. And is there a way to clean up the stock rom a little bit?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:37 AM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work
Re: Is there any tweak to help clean up the phone storage mem (not the 4G) in stock r

Flash a custom rom.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: TELUS

dj_mysha is keeping up the good workdj_mysha is keeping up the good work
Re: Is there any tweak to help clean up the phone storage mem (not the 4G) in stock r

Hey Procter,
I'm on Juicy 2.4.1 with a tonne (yes, metric, I'm in Canada) of stuff installed, but everything is installed to Internal Storage. My memory stats are:

Storage
Total: 112.30 MB
In use: 68.73 MB
Free: 43.56 MB

Program
Total: 203.84 MB
In use: 69.31 MB
Free: 134.53 MB

I would recommend un-installing anything you have installed to Device and re-installing it to Internal Storage. Also, move your Pocket Outlook attachments to Internal Storage as well. That makes a HUGE difference for me. Go to your Inbox, Menu\Tools\Options and tap on the Storage tab. Make sure that "When available, use this storage card to store attachments" is checked and then tap ok.
I'm not 100% sure how the available memory on Juicy's ROMs compares to the stock Sprint one, but you should give it a shot just for the added speed, battery life and stability. Check here for info on unlocking and flashing (thanks tobeychris) and here for details on Juicy's ROM (thanks Juicy).
Hope that helps!
Myke...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Also, change the location of Opera Mobile's cache to the Internal Storage. Otherwise the Opera cache can eat up all your free storage in main memory.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: TreoPro

MobileBiz is a n00b

Should all programs be installed to the 4GB area?

.Net 3.5?
Windows Live Hotmail?
TouchPal and other kb's
SPB Shell?

I'm coming from Palm OS and I'm used to a lot of programs needing to be installed internally rather than on a card. Can someone give me a quick explanation of how programs work on WM and the Diamond Internal 4GB storage area?

Off topic: I'm planning to eventually flash the rom. I guess I need .Net 3.5 installed on my computer? Should I also install .Net 3.5 SP1? Do I also need .Net 3.5 installed on the device?

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO

reekolu is keeping up the good workreekolu is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Also, change the location of Opera Mobile's cache to the Internal Storage. Otherwise the Opera cache can eat up all your free storage in main memory.
How do I do that?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by reekolu View Post
How do I do that?
Open Opera and type Opera:config in the address bar. Then scroll down and click on User Prefs. Scroll down and change the Cache Directory4 to "\internal storage\opera9\cache\". Scroll way down and click Save. Close and reopen Opera and your cache will begin to save on Internal Storage.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just a slightly off-topic warning, if you a) put programs that run all the time in the Internal Storage, and b) like to make use of the connect-as-disk-drive option when you connect to a computer... you will end up frustrated when you hook the diamond up to your computer and all your services crash.

It bugs me quite a bit... which is silly, because it's an option I didn't have before, and if I just didn't use it, it'd never bite me in the ***. So who am I to complain? But I really like being able to transfer files over quickly (and run them off of Storage, and get actual file/directory info in windows, etc.), and want to be able to do so without messing everything else up.

To tie it back to the topic at hand, it means it's all the more important to free up as much room as possible in the main memory, so all the vital stuff can be accessed even when "Internal Storage" is offline. My guess is that means doing away with the stock rom posthaste.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: hero
Carrier: sprint

JeffPick is a n00b

Hey rainreak, do you know of any custom roms that come with the sprint Navigation installed? That was the only problem I had with Juci
Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It

No, but you can still install it. All the Sprint cabs are in the Windows directory if you still have the Sprint rom on your Diamond. Just grab them and back them up to Internal Storage before hand. then you can install whatever you want, to wherever you want.

SprintTV-1_6_Diamond_1034_072908a.cab
WM6_PPC_HTC_Opera9_WWE.cab
PictureMail_0.1.14.4.cab
EngStartMenu_Sprint0613.cab
OzIM_080521_signed.cab
SprintDM_DMClientApp_ProdSetting_v0.9.913.cab
sprint-navigation-htc-diamond-2.1.7.cab

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond