PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Diamond vs Pro Rom

I noticed the Pro has twice the Rom 256 vs 512. Almost same phone except for keyboard. Any ideas why it would need twice?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Diamond vs Pro Rom

it does not have an internal 4G storage, just a Expansion slot.

thats why

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

ilkhan is just getting started

Bigger body means more room for chips. Beyond that, no reason probably.

The GSM diamond only has 192MB of RAM, but the CDMA got the full 256+32, which is much more important than the ROM amount.

And many of us would rather have the slot than 4GB of internal (I have a 6GB micro card already, Im going to go DOWN when I get my diamond)

Last edited by ilkhan; 09-09-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
it does not have an internal 4G storage, just a Expansion slot.

thats why
No - you're comparing apples and oranges.

More room for a WM7 ROM would be my guess.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
No - you're comparing apples and oranges.

More room for a WM7 ROM would be my guess.
WM7 isnt due till the first quarter of 2009.

touch pro is due in october.

your guess is most likely wrong.

they didnt include the internal storage so they offer more rom for program installs and personal files. that way if you dont have a storage card the device is still moderately useful for most users usage habits.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas
Threadstarter

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I was think wm7 with the larger rom but was not sure. My Mogul seemed so challenged. I was looking at both the Pro and Diamond trying to deceide which one. I wonder if 256 rom on Diamond would be enough for wm7 to load and run?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

nosro is just getting started

Just to clarify, programs are installed in "ROM" (which is really flash and is now a bit of a misnomer). Alternatively, programs could be installed in the 4gb storage area in the Diamond. Since the Pro lacks the 4gb, the only non-removable location to install user applications is in the ROM. Hence it makes sense to enlarge the ROM on the pro.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosro View Post
Just to clarify, programs are installed in "ROM" (which is really flash and is now a bit of a misnomer). Alternatively, programs could be installed in the 4gb storage area in the Diamond. Since the Pro lacks the 4gb, the only non-removable location to install user applications is in the ROM. Hence it makes sense to enlarge the ROM on the pro.
Why oh why would you want to install to a removeable location in the first place? GPS and their maps are the only reason I can think of, and people have been quite happy to install to a card for quite a while.

When did the thinking that "internal > card" come around? Whenever it was, that thinking needs to be stuffed back in its damn cage.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

nosro is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhan View Post
When did the thinking that "internal > card" come around? Whenever it was, that thinking needs to be stuffed back in its damn cage.
For installing programs, internal > card for the simple fact that now you can actually REMOVE your card and swap it for something else without worrying about losing access to apps. Isn't that the point of a removable card? That you can remove it and swap it for another removable card? (I personally swap between three removable cards, which is why I don't install any programs on my cards.)

Yeah, I know you can work around that by putting the app in both cards, but that kind of silly work-around mentality needs to be stuffed back in its damn cage.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosro View Post
For installing programs, internal > card for the simple fact that now you can actually REMOVE your card and swap it for something else without worrying about losing access to apps. Isn't that the point of a removable card? That you can remove it and swap it for another removable card? (I personally swap between three removable cards, which is why I don't install any programs on my cards.)

Yeah, I know you can work around that by putting the app in both cards, but that kind of silly work-around mentality needs to be stuffed back in its damn cage.
Yeah, but thats what ROM is for, not the card. And seriously, take a look at your used amount of ROM. Mine is like 30MB. We have plenty.

The internal storage here is to replace the storage card itself. fixed 4GB instead of ∞.
The card is used for media, programs, etc. Its your primary storage medium for the phone.

And remember you dont HAVE a card slot at all now. So those 3 cards are going away. You cant swap a movie card for your music card if you want to use the phone to watch that. You cant pull the card out and drop it in a SD reader in your computer for a quick program update, or to quickly drop a new song onto it. I have a 6GB card which is left in 99% of the time. I also have a 2GB for playing with android, and a 512 to backup the important stuff from the 6GB card. :shrug:

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond