PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC6700

MarkMoore is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PCS Mail Decommission

I have a requirement for SMS messages to be longer than they currently are, so I started poking aroun on Sprints site and found that they are decommmissioning Sprint Mail effective 12/31/08. This SITE say you can download the new Sprint Mobile Mail, but the PPC6700 is not considered compatible (surprise - the Mogul (6800) is).

I tried it and sent the test message as the site says and got a reply with a link - I clicked the link (http://gospv.com/email), but got a message saying that the premium content was not available for my device. BTW, tried accessing that site using WiFi and it could not resolve - tried again using EVDO and was redirected to a manage.sprintpcs.com-blah,blah,blah (long string)

So my question is - is there a mail product that exists for 'real time' email greater than the SMS lessage length?
I'm running WM 6.1 and checked the registry under the IE settings confirming that IE reports PPC6800.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Greg is a n00b
Re: PCS Mail Decommission

um, perhaps I don't understand the question. Couldn't you use _any_ email account with IMAP, POP-3, or Exchange Active Sync?
-gm
Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 , Curve 2
Carrier: Sprint

apacho01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularapacho01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularapacho01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to apacho01

Yes it is true. The last couple weeks sprint has been sending out a letter informing customers that they are discontinuing "sprint" email.

Dear Valued Customer,

Sprint is committed to keeping you informed of changes to your wireless products and services and providing you with the best solutions to meet your needs. Our records indicate that you currently use our free email service, PCS Mail. Through our efforts to continually evaluate our offerings, the decision was made to discontinue PCS Mail on December 31, 2008.

To ensure you are prepared for this change and have continued access to your emails, listed below are four recommended steps to take before December 31, 2008:

1. Sign up for a new email account with an email provider
2. Transfer your existing emails to your new email account
3. Save and transfer your contacts
4. Install our free Mobile Email for instant access to your email accounts

Please visit www.sprint.com/pcsmail to learn more about these steps and possible service alternatives.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to continuing to serve your communication needs.

Sincerely,
Sprint Product Management

Basically if you have and email that is "username@sprintpcs.com" you wont be able to use it after Dec 31.

Not to confuse with your vision username which is the same, only the email service is being discontinued. So for people like me who use sprint mail for website registration, now have to go to all the random websites I registered for using this email and change it. Cause if I need a password reset its gonna go to a non-existent email account....Major Suckage...

FYI- Also if you have your sprint mail set as your outgoing server for your pop mail...this will stop working as well...
As a sprint rep, we have been giving customers an alternative work around. USE GMAIL! lol oddly enough it works just fine as an outgoing server.

Last edited by apacho01; 10-02-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

MarkMoore is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
um, perhaps I don't understand the question. Couldn't you use _any_ email account with IMAP, POP-3, or Exchange Active Sync?
-gm
I have the need for 'real time' messaging - if I use something else, then I have to set up the mial client to check mail every 5 minutes (that is the least amt of time). I've actually tested this and it seems to cause an issue when answering the phone - it automatically goes to speaker phone.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:50 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

MarkMoore is a n00b

Quote:
4. Install our free Mobile Email for instant access to your email accounts
But what about my 6700 which is not compatible (or so says the website)? Do you have any options for us, or as usual, is Sprint trying to force us to upgrade to the newest phone?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

TonyDiv is just getting started

1. Set up push email through an exchange server

2. if you have unlimited text on your account, set up your email to forward to "your#@pm.srintpcs.com" It will send you a text with the sender and subject and then you will know if it's important enough to download the full message.

3. If instant communication is really that important, you could always just make a PHONE CALL.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

MarkMoore is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post
1. Set up push email through an exchange server

2. if you have unlimited text on your account, set up your email to forward to "your#@pm.srintpcs.com" It will send you a text with the sender and subject and then you will know if it's important enough to download the full message.

3. If instant communication is really that important, you could always just make a PHONE CALL.
#1 - Not currently supported for my needs

#2 - that should work, but the '@pm.sprintpcs.com' does'nt work - I tried it. I did discover that '@messaging.sprintpcs.com' does work. The only draw back is the character length restriction.

#3 - A phone call does work because I'm commuicating with a computer - that is, I'm receiving automated alerts from a server based on criteria.

Thanks for replying with those options... I'll see how the 'auto-forwarding' works out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache