PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 AM
schettj's Avatar
morsus mihi
Offline
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Location: Not from around these parts
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,017
Reputation: 3616
schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Odd that they reused the name, but given the not-so-secret truth that all WP7 devices are pretty much dead end with the release of WP8 due in December, I've gone the ebay route and picked up a NIB HTC Titan to tide me (and my subsidized device purchase) over until the new new WP8 devices come out. If Nokia is still in business then, they'll likely have something nice available. Given HTC build quality I expect the phone will just barely last until December

It's due in this next week, and will share time with my iP4 - it will be interesting to see which gets used more, sim flipping being the PITA that it is.

I decided to go big since this is essentially a throw-away device and I've heard from MANY sources that the 4.7" screen size is actually the "sweet spot" between mini tabs and the good old 3.x" screens. Figured I'd give both a go. Will be interesting to see if I can put the thing in a pocket and sit
__________________
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM
eric12341's Avatar
Banned User
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,884
Reputation: 2795
eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

They aren't dead end, WP8 will be pushed to all Gen 1.5 devices, maybe even Gen 1. Nothin' has been confirmed yet.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
schettj's Avatar
morsus mihi
Offline
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter
Location: Not from around these parts
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,017
Reputation: 3616
schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
They aren't dead end, WP8 will be pushed to all Gen 1.5 devices, maybe even Gen 1. Nothin' has been confirmed yet.
Um... cough *I work for the evil empire* cough. Trust me, while something that appears like an "update" will no doubt be wedged in to appease the gods, you'll very quickly want new hardware with dual*cores and expandable memory, along with a much higher resolution screen.

So they'll only be mostly dead.

* or more

Last edited by schettj; 05-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 2 times.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 AM
woldemariam's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Reputation: 0
woldemariam is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Odd that they reused the name, but given the not-so-secret truth that all WP7 devices are pretty much dead end with the release of WP8 due in December, I've gone the ebay route and picked up a NIB HTC Titan to tide me (and my subsidized device purchase) over until the new new WP8 devices come out. If Nokia is still in business then, they'll likely have something nice available. Given HTC build quality I expect the phone will just barely last until December

It's due in this next week, and will share time with my iP4 - it will be interesting to see which gets used more, sim flipping being the PITA that it is.

I decided to go big since this is essentially a throw-away device and I've heard from MANY sources that the 4.7" screen size is actually the "sweet spot" between mini tabs and the good old 3.x" screens. Figured I'd give both a go. Will be interesting to see if I can put the thing in a pocket and sit
i am exactly in the same boat as you. I bought a samsung focus s outright because I did not want to sign a contract on a WP7 device. I bought a the focus from craiglist and I am using it with a Straight Talk (no contract) sim card. I am still rocking my touch pro 2 (windows mobile) because I am waiting on Sprint to release a better windows phone device.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
schettj's Avatar
morsus mihi
Offline
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter
Location: Not from around these parts
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,017
Reputation: 3616
schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am loving both the titan and wp7. kinda shocked.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 2 times.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 PM
steveo70's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T
Location: StL
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,455
Reputation: 5710
steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Awesome news.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
schettj's Avatar
morsus mihi
Offline
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter
Location: Not from around these parts
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,017
Reputation: 3616
schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Ok so just about a full week in, here's what I'm finding...

LOVE the 4.7" form factor. Yeah. Weird. Thin makes it work. I still use my now simless iphone for some apps/games, Nav, etc, and retina display be damned, I really prefer the ability to see the screen even if it's lower res. The iPhone screen looks tiny now. No doubt the new Jobsless Apple will bump up to at least 4" or so, so eventually that "win" goes away.

Apps: There are a few that are missing, and I will miss them. Overall though, most everything I use is actually there, and free, so it's not really a massive loss - a handful of games and apps aren't there. The web browser being large and fairly decent at html5 gives me access to most content that those missing apps were wrapping, so that's a wash.

HTC vs Apple: Apple win. Yeah. Same HTC build quality. Nothing like making a phone with sides that are painful to hold. Simply Brilliant. Also, battery life is fine, but I am making to the end of a 16 hour day with 25% battery, vs usually in the 50s for the iPhone.

Cellular & Wifi & BT work as well on the HTC/WinPhone... wash

Speech. I didn't get Siri but the girls at the house got iP4s, we did a siri vs tellme face-off. Siri wins on cuteness. Tellme wins actually being able to do stuff. Like, when I get a text in the car, it *READS* the text to me, asks me if I want to respond, takes my response, and then asks me if I want to send it... all without touching the phone (which is in my pocket, connected to the car hands free BT.) Massive win. Also, for quick "send a text" messages as I am running between meetings, I can speak it in about 10 seconds and get it sent, with one press... Really liking that.

Visual Voicemail. AT&T fail. Maybe with Tango. iPhone wins by default. Mango supports it, but AT&T doesn't offer it on the Titan at least.

So yeah... I was originally expecting to use the WinPhone on Wifi and keep the sim mostly in the iPhone, but I'm still running the other way... gonna keep it that way.

Dev unlocked and working on some apps now. Fun. Nice SDK, too. Oh, and I can now take screenshots. Win!
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 3 times.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:09 AM
austin420's Avatar
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Offline
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint
Location: kansas city mo
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,450
Reputation: 4305
austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Ok so just about a full week in, here's what I'm finding...

LOVE the 4.7" form factor. Yeah. Weird. Thin makes it work. I still use my now simless iphone for some apps/games, Nav, etc, and retina display be damned, I really prefer the ability to see the screen even if it's lower res. The iPhone screen looks tiny now. No doubt the new Jobsless Apple will bump up to at least 4" or so, so eventually that "win" goes away.

Apps: There are a few that are missing, and I will miss them. Overall though, most everything I use is actually there, and free, so it's not really a massive loss - a handful of games and apps aren't there. The web browser being large and fairly decent at html5 gives me access to most content that those missing apps were wrapping, so that's a wash.

HTC vs Apple: Apple win. Yeah. Same HTC build quality. Nothing like making a phone with sides that are painful to hold. Simply Brilliant. Also, battery life is fine, but I am making to the end of a 16 hour day with 25% battery, vs usually in the 50s for the iPhone.

Cellular & Wifi & BT work as well on the HTC/WinPhone... wash

Speech. I didn't get Siri but the girls at the house got iP4s, we did a siri vs tellme face-off. Siri wins on cuteness. Tellme wins actually being able to do stuff. Like, when I get a text in the car, it *READS* the text to me, asks me if I want to respond, takes my response, and then asks me if I want to send it... all without touching the phone (which is in my pocket, connected to the car hands free BT.) Massive win. Also, for quick "send a text" messages as I am running between meetings, I can speak it in about 10 seconds and get it sent, with one press... Really liking that.

Visual Voicemail. AT&T fail. Maybe with Tango. iPhone wins by default. Mango supports it, but AT&T doesn't offer it on the Titan at least.

So yeah... I was originally expecting to use the WinPhone on Wifi and keep the sim mostly in the iPhone, but I'm still running the other way... gonna keep it that way.

Dev unlocked and working on some apps now. Fun. Nice SDK, too. Oh, and I can now take screenshots. Win!
reading this make me appreciate my android more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilw
Stupid and angry is no way to go through life, son.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 AM
eric12341's Avatar
Banned User
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,884
Reputation: 2795
eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
reading this make me appreciate my android more.
@austin420
and what does that contribute to this thread? That was really uncalled for, you don't see me in Android saying nonsense like that.

Last edited by eric12341; 05-31-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
schettj's Avatar
morsus mihi
Offline
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter
Location: Not from around these parts
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,017
Reputation: 3616
schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ok, so I have a Titan (Winphone7) now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
reading this make me appreciate my android more.
I've used android up thru ICS. It sucks. Horrible UI. Horrible process model. Horrible everything down to, but NOT including, the Linux kernel. If nothing else it shows how a bunch of very smart engineers should never be allowed to design things for people to use.

I'd stay with iOS over android any day. However, I am finding WP7 to be quite a nice simple environment to actually use.

Notification app up and running in about an hour, including backend server... pretty nice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com