PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: Want WP7 Mango today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Do you have access to a .EDU account ? If not how did you get it for free ? I have been playing with the tools a little and would love to get an account but, hate to have to pay $99 till I really know what I am doing.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want it public...

As for Mango beta, Very, VERY tempted. I can't find a rom OEM for my Trophy (the ones on XDA claim to not work), so I really don't have a backout plan.

I've been reading about people who have been using it on XDA (spent a lot of time on there today reading about this), and every one claims that it's very stable and faster than the current build. Also, a lot of the new features work fine, so you will be getting 85% of the new features working very well to great (some issues but, worth spending some time on XDA as there is a lot of people using it over there).

The speed and perfomance difference is enough to tempt me alone...never mind the features.

MMMMMM....Mangos...

Edit:

My question about the backup addon for Zune, from what I was reading, people used it to go back to Pre-NoDo before, so it might just work to take a full backup of your phone then installing Mango, if you hate it, or too buggy, just connect to Zune and restore... would like to know for sure

[APP] [UPDATED 6/1/2011] Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME - Page 21 - xda-developers
Yeah...I have a .edu email addy

I still haven't gotten an email about upgrading yet.

Like you, I don't think there's a full working ROM for my Surround. I saw a few posted but not enough people that actually tried it. So I'm not sure I want to try this either.

I also don't like the idea that I would probably lose all of my games/app settings when the official Mango comes out either. I already had to hard reset it to do the official unlock since I had it unlocked with Chevron before.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post
I agree, it's soo tempting though! I wouldn't mind spending the $ and the other 2 methods I've read about are just 2 risky now that I'm riding a flash free summer. Decisions, decisions lol.
I got a reply from the guy who created the backup program for Zune, he said that he was able to take a backup, upgrade to NoDo, then use his backup to restore back to Pre-NoDo to unlock (something we never had for WM). Almost at Rom level, so this kind of makes me think, I do have a roll back plan.

I am SOOOO Tempted and it's a long weekend.. If it adds a lot of features, is faster and just as stable and I can roll back, Why not ?

Maybe I do miss my old Touch Pro 2 flashing days.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer View Post
I can't promise it will work because I don't know what Mango will do to the phone. Assuming backup/restore works as normal then yes this will put whatever ROM level you are at back on to your phone. I Installed Nodo before dev unlocking it and then restored from the backup Zune made and I was pre-nodo again. It is a complete system backup. "ROM Level" would be the best description I guess.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 07-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: verizon

winger46146 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I did last night on my verizon trophy, it is very nice. The 7661 update did take so time to do. Also don't forget to download zune 4.8.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Retired Staff

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level

...installing now

One note is if you are a legit dev locked phone, you need to uninstall the Windows Phont Support Tool before it works.

I installed it so I could run that backup tool, and everytime I tried to run the update it would say "UpdateWP.exe has stopped responding...".

Finally figured out I had to uninstall those Support Tools, then re-run the UpdateWP-x64 installer, then ran the update and now its going so far.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I'm in the process of installing it too.....Will post results after playing with it for a while. I've been reading a lot and the general word is that it's much faster and the features are nice.

Edit: It's installed, took me about an hour. It's working great so far, no issues to note as of yet.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-01-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Retired Staff

I gotta say...I'm really liking it so far. Once all of the features get finished, I think I might just have to make the switch from Android.

-Twitter doesn't work yet.
-Facebook Chat brings me to a page that says "invalid address".

-Bing Maps looks like its the full TTS version, but I'll have to test on my way home
-IE9 seems nice and has tabs
-Facebook notifications show up in the Me hub
-You can create groups in your People hub and pin it to the start screen (great way to make your most contacted people easier to find)
-Program list now has letter separation which adds to the list, but lets you click on a letter to skip to that section
-Some more settings compared to the old one
-Camera can now save settings and you can turn off the shutter sound
-Battery Saver Mode can disable online services when your battery gets low
-In Battery Saver settings you can see your battery life %, estimated time remaining and time since last charge (right now I'm at 75% and it says I can go another day and 6 hours...which is hard to believe lol)
-You can to voice-to-text now to compose SMS
-Office looks like it synced my docs from SkyDrive

That's all I've noticed so far...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

any news on third party multitasking? This is what I really need to use WP7 as a daily.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
any news on third party multitasking? This is what I really need to use WP7 as a daily.
Its got multi-tasking options, but I think most apps have to be updated for it to work...atleast that's what I read.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Oh, well then it looks like I'll buy the second-generation WP7 device that has this actually integrated.

Too much of what I do requires it, but this does look sweet and I am pretty impressed with the speed that MS is fixing their OS and implementing new features.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I gotta say...I'm really liking it so far. Once all of the features get finished, I think I might just have to make the switch from Android.

-Twitter doesn't work yet.
-Facebook Chat brings me to a page that says "invalid address".
A few people reported the Facebook issue, Go back into your account settings, delete facebook and re-add it... It should fix that problem. There has been assorted issues reported, I did that when my phone first came up (so I would not have to deal with it)

No Twitter, no tweeting for me

Over all, the Scout works really good (even found a dive bar near me that got a 4 star rating). This alone was worth installing it for (when traveling around)
Bing vision works pretty good, found UPC symbols fine and got a good price on some things.

Xbox live now has small icons(a big deal when you have bunch of games) and the news shows images....Your Avatar will dance with out needing to load the app (mine even plays with his WP7 phone)

This was 100% worth installing. It's faster, has a ton-o-features and No crashes so far.

Can't wait till the final !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
I did 2 games and some built in apps, it appeard to work, but, angry birds just reloaded when it came up (it always does that when I hit back)

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-01-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions