PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: pro2
Carrier: sprint

birddseedd is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
one row start/app menu? seriously?

Im freakin serious, if they do this ill buy an iphone. whats the point in having a 4 inch screen if they are only going to give you one solitary row for apps and make you do 5 times the scrolling...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: one row start/app menu? seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Im freakin serious, if they do this ill buy an iphone. whats the point in having a 4 inch screen if they are only going to give you one solitary row for apps and make you do 5 times the scrolling...
if they do there will be 50 tweaks to put it how you want it or get your iphony i guess.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

from what im reading on the microsoft forum site the os will be locked down and there wont be any "tweaking"
Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

in fact no customizing AT ALL. the ugly home screen is the way it is and thats it. no changing it, no customizing it to the way you use the device. people are saying wp7 is a real step down,
no multitasking
no cut copy paste

doesent even have a usb connection to your pc.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 AM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
from what im reading on the microsoft forum site the os will be locked down and there wont be any "tweaking"
lol, sure it will till xda sinks there claws in it. ill take 1 icon over the iphony but thats just me, not a fan.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Go ahead and get your iPhone, enjoy the signal reception, the jaundiced display, the dropped calls, the locked down ... everything (need I go on?). You wanna complain about a Start Menu layout when the whole point of WP7 is to pin the stuff you want up close to your home screen or integrate with hubs, that's your choice... besides, you haven't even used it yet outside an emulated demo, so you have no accurate perception to base your rant on.

As for copy/paste, have you even seen the interviews about it? The demos of how they've purposely made it an irrelevant feature even though they're committed to making it an intuitive process for a follow-up update?

Personally, I think you're just over here trolling. Controversy and disdain for WP7? Yeah, from the usual Microsoft haters, but just remember...

http://gizmodo.com/5573995/microsoft...uite-ginormous

Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 06-27-2010 at 10:26 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Go ahead and get your iPhone, enjoy the signal reception, the jaundiced display, the dropped calls, the locked down ... everything (need I go on?). You wanna complain about a Start Menu layout when the whole point of WP7 is to pin the stuff you want up close to your home screen or integrate with hubs, that's your choice... besides, you haven't even used it yet outside an emulated demo, so you have no accurate perception to base your rant on.

As for copy/paste, have you even seen the interviews about it? The demos of how they've purposely made it an irrelevant feature even though they're committed to making it an intuitive process for a follow-up update?

Personally, I think you're just over here trolling. Controversy and disdain for WP7? Yeah, from the usual Microsoft haters, but just remember...

http://gizmodo.com/5573995/microsoft...uite-ginormous
Im not by any means a "microsoft hater". in fact its quite the oposite. untill recently (and even further since i wont use gsm or att) i would have never even concidered an iphone, and probably still wouldent as the main webite i use cannot be viewed in mobile mode with safari.

but there are certain things that i must have in a pda. and one of those things is copy and paste. and their design of porting certain types of text to an application will not cut it. reconizing phone numbers is great, copying links could be usefull. problem is that every day i have to copy tracking numbers from multiple pages in a website to a notepad. if they remove copy and paste (or rebuild it in a way that you cannot copy any text from any app like they are planning) then i have to type up to hundreds of characters every morning.

i also require multitasking, i use a website, gps, notes and an excell sheet at the same time. if i cannot do this ill have to each thing individually and it will add so much time to my day it would be easier to just buy a dedicated gps, basic phone and wirte every thing down on a peice of paper and do it all on a desktop when i get home.

multitasking and copy paste are things that are required on a pda in the business world. thus the reason most business use devices like thouch pro in the example of the company i work for (didnt provide one for me so i bought a pro 2)

now as far as, the iphone goes, the new one is pretty nice. multitasking (apps can actually be made to close after they get done doign what they need to do, others run full time), the copy paste is real easy and efficient. the screen has a higher resolution than the human eye can even see. dropped calls has nothing to do with the phone, it depends on the network in the area. as far as it being locked down, you caint customize it quite as much as i think you should but not much can be done about that.

so either way ill just be sticking with my tp2 and custom rom. at least untill wp7 gets a few updates and the needed features are added.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
acs tester

im ahead of the game, im using a wp7 start menu cab now.
Attached Files
File Type: cab WP7 Start Menu WVGA.cab (12.8 KB, 11 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
in fact no customizing AT ALL. the ugly home screen is the way it is and thats it. no changing it, no customizing it to the way you use the device. people are saying wp7 is a real step down,
what they officially meant is there's no overlay to run on top of / in place of Metro such as Sense/TouchWiz/etc, there probably will be some customizable elements although we don't know to what extent, yet

Quote:
no multitasking
multitasks just as much as the iphone and android. it doesn't necessarily run everything all at once (although same apps will run in the background uninterrupted) but if you leave an app without actually closing it the phone "freezes" the app in its exact position to pick up where you left it

Quote:
no cut copy paste
microsoft actually said they left it out because they're trying to make the OS smart enough to not need it. for example if you were to copy/paste an address from the browser to maps/navigation you'd just have to tap the address and the OS would know what you want to do with it. that may be a situational menu where it wants to know if youre navigating or just saving the information but the idea is to eliminate the need for copy/paste
and they've implied they have true copy/paste on standby just in case their experiment doesn't work

Quote:
doesent even have a usb connection to your pc.
i haven't seen anything about that claim, do you have a source? and it doesn't really make sense to eliminate a pc connection because some people still plug in to sync with the pc, however the Zune HD can sync over wifi and they may have carried that function over to WP7.
but they have to charge the phone somewhere and since the new standard is microusb we could assume that WP7 phones will have that port and at that point its only a matter of driver to make it sync to a pc so why wouldn't they just put them in

as for the original question, yes for the moment you have the home screen of tiles on the left then you can "slide" right and there is a single column list of the installed apps that are not otherwise associated with a system hub. i can post a screen shot of the emulator MS released if everyone is that interested

Last edited by jbearamus; 06-30-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:49 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
im ahead of the game, im using a wp7 start menu cab now.
do you need a custom rom to use that? i installed it and it didn't change anything
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions